X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Backup error Duplicity

Hello guys,

I have a problem when I try to back up some folders but before I go into the details, let me do the following disclaimer

I have Kubuntu 16.04. I know that it's not supported anymore, so I won't take it personally if you tell me you can't help me. Anyway I intend to install Kubuntu 20.04 soon.

Now if you agree to look at my problem, here it is
    I successfully installed Deja Dup, opened it and indicated which folder I wanted to save, and where to put it, but when I press the button 'Back up now', I get an error 'Backup failed, couldn't understand duplicity version'. I found these two pages:

https://askubuntu.com/questions/826646/backup-failed-could-not-understand-duplicity-version

and

https://askubuntu.com/questions/8266...licity-version

but none of the solution presented seemed to work. When I do
    Code:
    echo $PATH
    I get

Code:
    /home/me/anaconda3/bin:/home/me/anaconda3/condabin:/home/me/bin:/home/me/.local/bin:/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games:/usr/local/games:/snap/bin
    so I wonder if this duplicity is really installed in the right place. If I enter
    Code:
    duplicity --version
    , I get

Code:
    duplicity 0.7.06
    Any suggestion?

Thanks for reading me.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Apr 12, 2020, 02:24 PM.

Looking at your first link: https://askubuntu.com/questions/8266...licity-version - and scrolling to the bottom:

In my case, this error was caused because duplicity assumes that you are running python 2.X. I use python 3 - and had the link 'python' in /usr/bin pointing to a python 3 version. Removing that link and creating one that pointed to a python 2 solved the problem.
    If you, like me, have more than one version of python installed (I have python2.7 linked via python2, and python3.8 linked via python3, both in /usr/bin), that might be the reason for the failure, as was the case quoted above.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks a lot for your answer Snowhog!

Yes I suspect something like this, but I have no clue what would be the way to access it or to fix it. When I check the version of duplicity in the terminal, it looks like it is installed. But maybe in the wrong place. Any idea how I could make sure that it is installed in the different python versions I have?

I'm sorry if my question sounds naive, I'm a little confused by these different pythons.

Best,

Comment

Let's first determine which version(s) of python you have installed. Open a konsole and type: ls -la /usr/bin/python*

Copy/paste the results.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for your reply Snowhog. Here is the output:

Code:
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       9 Nov 24  2017 /usr/bin/python -> python2.7
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       9 Nov 24  2017 /usr/bin/python2 -> python2.7
          -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 3492656 Okt  8  2019 /usr/bin/python2.7
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      33 Okt  8  2019 /usr/bin/python2.7-config -> x86_64-linux-gnu-python2.7-config
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      16 Nov 24  2017 /usr/bin/python2-config -> python2.7-config
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root       9 Feb  7  2018 /usr/bin/python3 -> python3.5
          -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4452016 Okt  8  2019 /usr/bin/python3.5
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      33 Okt  8  2019 /usr/bin/python3.5-config -> x86_64-linux-gnu-python3.5-config
          -rwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4452016 Okt  8  2019 /usr/bin/python3.5m
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      34 Okt  8  2019 /usr/bin/python3.5m-config -> x86_64-linux-gnu-python3.5m-config
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      16 Mär 23  2016 /usr/bin/python3-config -> python3.5-config
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      10 Feb  7  2018 /usr/bin/python3m -> python3.5m
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      17 Mär 23  2016 /usr/bin/python3m-config -> python3.5m-config
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      16 Nov 24  2017 /usr/bin/python-config -> python2.7-config
          lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root      58 Mär 25  2016 /usr/bin/pythontex -> ../share/texlive/texmf-dist/scripts/pythontex/pythontex.py
          -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root     306 Mär 25  2016 /usr/bin/pythontex3

Comment

Working...
          X