Covid HEAVY USE Neon and Kubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Covid HEAVY USE Neon and Kubuntu

This post could get confusing but it is "basically" about how, in the space of one day the college was moved from seated to "remote learning" (education speak there)>

For the folks who just want "the facts m'am"... this post discusses

A) OS stability of Kubuntu and Neon.
    B) processor intensive native to Linux apps: OBS and Audacity
    C) outside apps: ZOOM
    D) Kontact suite all parts work
    E) KDE CONNECT a surprising use

Well, I normally use both Kubuntu and Neon for my work machine and have done so for years.

IN TERMS OF THE COLLEGE...Kubuntu only dropped the ball ONE time and that was, what? 6 years ago when I had set up a "multi-campus" database for the laboratory inventories using Kubu on a Toshiba laptop and invited the honchos to watch a demonstration and Kubu failed... it just died... right there...well that shot that... and it wasn't the computer it was the OS.

Anyway... I kind of figured that we would be moving to online but didn't really forsee a problem so when it appeared I just e-mailed the students an alternative lab exercise to do at home from my phone and went back to visiting with some friends in a smokey 'ol barroom.

However, the next day things got serious.

Here is a listing of what has worked and what has not.

1) The only thing that did not do what was needed was VLC in terms of recording audio using a USB microphone. Now, it might have worked using a regular radio plug and it was NOT a fault of Kubuntu.

So what worked: well everything... the OS and the apps...

2) Several folks recommended Audacity and OBS and both work great, I have been doing a LOT of "voice over" of presentations that I normally show in class as a "hook to hang my hat on" for "commentry / lecture" I TRY to use "dialectic" when possible but that will turn into a whole " 'nother ball of wax" using ZOOM or whatever because... seveveral / many students literally use a phone or a computer at school.

I can EASILY view the presentation as a .pdf, slider down and provide commentary into the microphone which produces a very nice, small, file, rename it and it goes to Canvas...EXCEPT... Canvas limits our TOTAL file size to 1 GB...!!! !! WHAT...!!! so, I popped it onto YouTube, which was recommended by the college, so I do not have to worry about anything on that front.

SO...KUBU AND NEON both support OBS and Audacity, no crashes, etc.

3) KONTACT...now this is just a STUNNER... I had basically given up on KONTACT a year or so ago and it has, apparently, been given up on by the Kubuntu devs also, this from a comment made in a post a month or so ago.

BUT...KONTACT is completely operational on a NEON machine, the work machine... I am going to test it on the T.V. machine next.

THE PARTS of Kontact.

KMAIL
    a) hooking into a Microsoft Cloud account that the college uses was easy peasy.
    b) gmail worked! WHAT !! ?? THAT WILL NOT LAST LONG... unless Google decides to play nice.
    c) delivered / read options... the delivered option DOES work, but I have not had enough feedback about e-mails to verify whether the "read" function works. I will continue to watch and report if it seems to work.
    c) the Calendar actually NOW just prints a MONTH calendar!!! AMAZING... really... nice, clean month calendar...

and I have 5 of them taped to a door to have a visual representation of timeliines.
    d) The calendar app itself...

this is amazing...really amazing...

PAY ATTENTION TO THIS...

I got an e-mail today about the students who use the greenhouse in botany studies etc. ( as an aside, I raise some plants there and take my intro biology students to get plants to take home for activities) but...the botany / ag science / etc. students are having their annual plant sale...

THIS IS AMAZING...

There was a clickable "date" IN THE E-MAIL to copy and past into a personal client...it offered gmail and Outlook...

I clicked the link, chose Outlook and "personal calendar"...and IT APPEARED IN KONTACT in my personal calendar and properly color coded on the correct date!!!!

WHAT !! ?? WHAT !!! ?

NOW GET THIS...GET THIS...!!! amazing...

i RIGHT CLICKED IN THE CALENDAR AND A DROP DOWN MENU APPEARED AND ONE OF THE OPTIONS WAS...TO SEND IT TO

TO DO... !!!! what !!! AND IT WORKED!!!!!!

just amazing...

e ) The summary pane works completely.

Feeds, journal, popup notes all work...

what did not work was importing contacts from gmail... THAT may be that I just do not understand what is going on with Akonadai client...I do not see an option, "like there used to be" for the gmial contacts, but again, that may just be me.

If anyone has a comment about that i would be appreciative.

4 ) KDE CONNECT... it works fine and now has popup reminders of a bunch of things, but this one little thing MAKES ME LOVE IT EVEN MORE...

The college has gone to a weird "two stage" authentication to get into the teacher portion of the website...

i) the normal password login ...

ii ) BUT... as soon as we do that it automatically triggers a a six digit authorization code text message to our phones....we now MUST have a smart phone to get in through the security...

well...then you gotta run and get the phone... and type in the 6 digit authorization code ...okaay...

today I literally just noticed that, for some reason NOW... KDE connect popped a notification of the text AND I COULD READ THE NUMBERS in the popup window instead of having to get the phone... amazing..really...

5) third party apps...

There is discussion in other theads but we are supposed to use ZOOM and I went to the site the site recognized the OS, both NEON and Kubuntu as "Ubuntu / Debian" and it downloaded and installed and works on both machines.

Depending on comments from others I may install ITSIE and try it as a ZOOM or DUO "client?" dunno...

So to sum this up...

Both Kubuntu and Neon went from well... 20 miles per hour to 60 mph in literally one day with NO hiccups...

Kudos to both teams!!

If there are any other comments or questions please ask.

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

You can copy from the KDE connect notification so you can just paste the code in.

Comment

Thanks for the report Woodsmoke. I note that the academics have invested in Zoom. There are many reports (Do a non-google search) on some serious problems, not just software glitches, with the Zoom tool. For me, the primary problem is that Zoom appears to be passing some of their bandwidth through China. I know how hard it is to get the educators AND their administrators to make a change, but Zoom has problems.
      For example:
      https://www.pcmag.com/news/fbi-watch...o-meeting-apps
      Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Don B Cilly
        lol I NEVER thought of that!
        thanks!
        woody
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

TWP
          yeppers to all that you posted, that is why im trying to get jitsi to run but can't as of now.
          thanks again.
          woody
          sigpic
          Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
            TWP
            yeppers to all that you posted, that is why im trying to get jitsi to run but can't as of now.
            thanks again.
            woody
            There are a bunch of deb package (4-6) that contain various parts and rather than clog up my laptop with those, or with the electron version, I decided to download and use the AppImage.
            https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-electron/releases which contains
            https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-...86_64.AppImage
            Then I added the execute permission using Dophin.

There is a known issue which prevents the app from starting on some Linux distributions: #231
            The workaround for now is to run the following command:
            sudo sysctl kernel.unprivileged_userns_clone=1

Alternatively, launch the app like so ./jitsi-meet-x86_64.AppImage --no-sandbox
            I did not want to run without a sandbox so I used the sysctl command.

I got an icon from here: https://github.com/jitsi/jitsi-meet-...esources/icons
            and used it to pretty up my menu entry.

It works wonderfully!
            "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
            – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Nice to see that things are working out online for you.

I had less luck when being invited to an online meeting using Microsoft Teams.
              There is a linux preview version, so I installed that one.
              As I never used teams before, I started it well in advance of the meeting, and at first it seemed to work, I got to the meeting bridge of the company that invited me, but the meeting was not online yet.
              30 min later, just before the start of the meeting, I tried again, but I was no longer able to connect.
              I got all kinds of errors, telling me that I needed to re-install the 2 factor authenticator app on my cell phone, but that did not help, also MS Teams was not opening up anymore, even afer a purge and re-install.
              The only way I saw that is was on my system was an icon in the taskbar telling me that teams was running, but I could not maximize it anymore.

So after having missed the first 20 min of the meeting, I got an older pc that still had a windows OS in dual boot on it, and logged into the meeting using Windows10
              I kept Windows on that older PC for the occasional firmware update of a synthesiser, that has an updater that only runs on windows.
              Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
              linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
              A good place to start:
              Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

As for Zoom. It depends on where it is homed. The DoD here in the US uses it, a lot. Not for sensitive information, but for the kind of info that one would expect to be on the evening news. Works fine, in that environment.

Most of the problems stem from NOT using features already available in the product.
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by mbohets View Post
                  Nice to see that things are working out online for you.

I had less luck when being invited to an online meeting using Microsoft Teams.
                  There is a linux preview version, so I installed that one..
                  Hi
                  I feel bad that the situation occurred.
                  I've settled on trying to use DISCORD if a student actually ever asks to have a face to face.
                  I figure that I will warn them that I am going to try using DISCORD and if it doesn't work they go to ZOOM.

As I posted elsewhere I was able to get DISCORD to actually "work" and it "seemed" to want to do the video using the Logitech web cam, I could "see me" in the preview / setup and there is a VERY nice display for the sound as to whether it is working or not, it is a very nice long horizontal bar that starts out blue and changes to yellow and red if the input volume gets very high.

But, when a colleague got onto it... "it plays a very loud sound" and there is a VERY small popup that says that "X has landed", and then nothing...

I contaced the help page and go absolutely no response, it has a canned reply system where it analyzes what you ask a question about and then offers some responses which are mainly posting previously asked questions and responses.

I imaging that they are getting "slammed" because of so many schools going to remote learning, they mention that, but anyway.

They ARE trying to be very proactive for teaching, they have a "professor classroom" add on that has a template for "out of office' "office hours" etc.

IT MAY be that the colleague and I were supposed to do a "chat"... I don't know... she is off doing her thing and this is not a big deal she uses ZOOM and what I'm doing is way on the back burner.

So, you 'might| try DISCORD, there might even be a template that you could use.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestion.

woody
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
                    As for Zoom. It depends on where it is homed.
                    Now THERE is a very new term for me. If I might ask what does "homed" mean? Does that refer to the email client?

There is a whole tutorial at ZOOM where it shows how to put the app into Canvas. It is supposed to have be that the college(entity) "enables" it somewhere in the Canvas configuration and then one can "drag" it up into the options in the left menu bar but I could not find it.

I contacted the IT people and got a very nice response that the college has "never" actually enabled ZOOM in the Canvas app itself and that one is to go to the ZOOM web portal and FROM WITHIN the gollege's general site, there is a link, and enter my e-mail addrress and it is kind of automagically set up.

Again, it does not put it as an option in Canvas after that one must always go through the link at the college's general website.

I can send an invitation using the 'request link" at the "site in ZOOM itself" and the person is able to just click it and is there, one sees the person, hears the sound etc.

So...is what I described similar to what you posted when you wrote: "where it is homed"?

thanks for the info!
                    woody
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Hi
                      Well, Kubuntu and Neon continue to do a workmanlike job!
                      The college has COMPLETELY opened with the REQUIREMENT that all people will be masked at all times, that is administration, staff, faculty, students.
                      Period, end of story.

This has come after a MASSIVE investment of money in a total redesign of many of the interior spaces of the college campii which includes my "high tech' campus and training of all personnell in the use of ZOOM. both as a person initiating recurring meetings and a respondent to a ZOOM meeting.

The Zoom Ubuntu .deb download "updates" almost daily.

I have learned to actually "pre - go" to any meetings by maybe fifteen minutes because the Zoom side says that the app needs to be updated and offers to use Discover which does the job in maybe...dunno... four minutes, what with entering passwords and etc.

And, as a note about just how serious all of this is...my first day, I received e-mails from two students in one section ( they have to use CANVAS e-mail and thus could not do the e-mail until the first day of class) that they were quarantined because of their parents being quarantined.

As of this date the college itself has two actual cases, none of which were spread "in house".

KONTACT...
                      Kontact has really stepped up to the plate. It works all the time, just about, there was one hour long..."down" ? time yesterday but that is the only glitch so far.

And the calendar works! it imports both .csv and .ical and syncs with the external calendars for both gmail and the college Outlook on the cloud.

the NOTIFICATIONS app that is in the bottom right panel has been a real...best way to put it, is a..."godsend"...the college has gone to 'two step authentcation" to get ANYTHING done in terms of getting into Canvas, the college e-mail, etc.

When one tries to log in a notice appears that a verification code has been sent to my phone, ...there IS an option for the verfication e-mail to be sent to another e-mail client, which i can only think of as being a MASSIVE inconvenience...but anyway, it appears on the phone within a second and also appears in the notifications app on the bottom right panel. Being THERE eliminates having to have the phone nearby... the verification code appears in white text on a black panel.

So...kudos to the developers of the Zoom client and to Kontact and the "desktop applets"... KUDOS !!!

woodsmoke

woodsmoke
                      Last edited by woodsmoke; Aug 27, 2020, 09:34 PM.
                      sigpic
                      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

How do you update zoom automatically? There is no repo that I'm aware of.

Sent from my HD1905 using Tapatalk

Comment

Hi Woody!
                          Masks ... ugh!

The National Institute of Health (NIH) is a US government agency that collects articles from academic and professional journals around the world.

The paper linked below was published April 22, 2015, following the first MERS and SARS pandemic. Unlike studies published since the start of the COVID-19 pandemic, this is an example of a paper which was not tainted by political bias, or oscillating "expert" opinion. In a March "60 OverTime" program Dr Fauci was asked by Dr Jon LaPook if people should wear masks. He repeated what the CDC has stated two weeks earlier. He said "No", and explained why.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRa6t_e7dgI

His explanation was good then and it is good now. However, political and media influence, plus financial considerations, has put tremendous pressure on doctors and hospitals to deny the science and support the political position of wearing masks and social distancing of six feet. When I was a JR in HS in 1958 the country was hit by a flu pandemic which killed 116,000 out of 174 million Americans. That would be equivalent to 232,000 today. Back then we didn't wear masks, do social distancing, isolate at home, stop factories and layoff millions of workers, like we have done this year, killing our economy, IMO most likely for political reasons. The 1958 pandemic did have a second wave but herd immunity made it a trivial one. Claims of a second wave of C19, or that we will have C19 with us forever, are true but so what? So are hundreds of other pathogens but we don't worry about them. The claim that immunity achieved after recovering from a C19 infection "wears off in 3 months" is totally false. Every influenza outbreak we've ever experienced is still "with us" and viruses are always mutating. These two latter fears are designed to introduce folks to the idea that because the C19 will be with us always, will always mutate, and protection wears off every three months, everyone will have to take C19 anti-viral shots every three months for the rest of their lives. At least that is what Bill Gates is betting on with his huge investments in companies making antiviral vaccines.

Now, on to controlled study on the subject of masks and how they protect us from viruses:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/art...__ffn_sectitle

Penetration of cloth masks by particles was almost 97% and medical masks 44%

You are reading that right. A Randomized Clinical Trial experimentally determined that cloth masks allow 97% of viral particles to be inhaled by the wearer. N95 masks are hardly much better, allowing 44% of virons to be inhaled. Surgical masks are between the N95 and cloth masks in efficacy.
                          To state it plainly: MASKS DO NOT WORK to prevent the inhalation of viral particles.

Other studies dating back to 2010 and before have arrived at the same conclusion, but this study was the first RTC to definitively answer the question of the viability of various kinds of masks. I can site other studies but this one is sufficient. One thousand experiments cannot prove an hypothesis is true, but only one experiment can prove it false.

The N95 and Surgical masks can only be obtained by medical personnel. Americans have been forced to use the Chinese knockoff of the N95, sold as KN95, OR, make or purchase cloth masks made of a wide variety of material, but mostly cotton. The KN95 is of dubious value because China manufacturing is notorious for failing to abide by standards. The NIOSH (National Institute of Occupational and Safety Health) has approved the N95 mask but not the KN95. However, the FDA has given "temporary" approval of the KN95 mask because of the scarcity of NIOSH approved N95 masks.

The problem is, however, that masks as a means of protecting against a viral infection DO NOT WORK. Cloth masks allow 97% of pathogens through and the N95 mask allows 44% of virons through. That is, essentially, NO protection at all.

The N95 mask has a PM2.5 label. The "N" means "Non-oily environment use". The "95" means 95%. The PM2.5 means Particulate Matter 2.5 microns. So, an N95 mask was DESIGNED to trap only 95% of all particles 2.5 microns or larger from entering the lungs of the wearer. It will let though about 5% of 2.5 micron particle through. Why 2.5 microns? That happens to be the size of the most dangerous, health wise, particles of SMOG. You also read that right. The N95 was designed to stop smog particles. The C19 virus is 0.1 microns in diameter, 25 times smaller than the smog particle. As the size of particles decrease the efficiency of filtration decreases as well. Hence the 44% value. Charts of the efficiency of N95 masks used to show that. The graph would drop to 95% at 2.5 microns and then decrease to 50% at 1 micron and 0% below 1 micron. Now, miraculously, the graphs show the impossible. The graph starts at 95% for 2.5 microns (they can't very well change that and not arouse suspicion) and then rises toward 100% filtration as the size goes to zero microns. IF that were true then the N95 mask would be capable of filtering molecules of Oxygen, Nitrogen and Carbon Dioxide as well, and that would make it impossible for the wearer to breathe.

The mask makes no provision for stopping a viral particle from landing on the eye and following the tear duct to the back of the throat and on to the lungs. During the last six months I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of people I've seen wearing a face shield or goggles to prevent c19 virons from entering through the eye. I also see very few people wearing gloves and no one wearing a gown or other PPE. It doesn't really matter. Just wearing the mask people are always adjusting the mask by handling the very surface that would be trapping the virons. Now the virons are on their hands. They handle objects on shelves, passing virons to them for others to pick up and be infected. Face mask or not, it is essentially impossible to prevent the transmission of a viron to or from the environment except in a P4 facility using positive pressure suits inflated by air that has been heated to 1,600F and then cooled back down. And we aren't living in that.

Besides, IF even cotton masks worked as well as some claim, why impose social distancing or crowd size limits (except for "peaceful" protesting)?
                          **stepping off soap box**
                          Last edited by GreyGeek; Aug 28, 2020, 10:45 AM.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

That is correct. Masks do little to protect the wearer. They do MUCH more to protect those around the wearer. If the wearer were to cough or sneeze, there is enough water/liquid with the exhalant that most of it is trapped by the mask before it has a chance to separate. Yes some goes out the side, at a much lower speed, but what would go straight out without a mask is caught by the mask. Again masks do not protect you, they protect everyone else. It's not about stifling individual freedom, it is about social responsibility.

So if everybody would wear a decent mask (it doesn't have to be N95), everyone would have good protection, and the 6 foot separation would also be much more effective.

Just wear the thing.
                            The next brick house on the left
                            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

While it is true that even a cloth mask can stop *most* (but not *all*) saliva droplets carrying covid virus particles generated by a cough, the assumption that covid virus particles are ONLY in such larger droplets, or only in droplets of any size, is false.

Larger droplets that make it past the mask (through, up, down or side) generally fall to the floor/ground within 25-30 seconds. Smaller droplets can drift up to 15 meters away. While drifting the droplets are rapidly evaporating, leaving only the viral particle wafting in the air, joining those that were exhaled without being carried by a droplet, dispersed by air currents and by Brownian Motion. It is 97% of those particles that can pass through the masks of other people and infect them. People with coughs shouldn't be out and about, even with a mask. That's what isolation is for.

You are also assuming that wearing a mask for long periods, like clerks at stores and fast food places do, is not harmful to ones health. Such is not the case. It has also been noted in NIH papers published prior to January of 2020 that cloth (and N95) masks worn for long periods of time act as highly humidity petri dishes on which bacteria grow abundantly and are carried back into the lungs of the mask wearer, increasing the stress on their immune system and raising the risk of contracting other diseases, like pneumonia. Also, as I mentioned above, other routes of infection include the eyes, which few people cover with googles or face shields. I don't see many people in grocery stores wearing gloves. Shoppers and staff are continually adjusting/touching their masks and then other parts of themselves, their clothes, the items on shelves, etc. Some folks just pull the top of the mask below their nose and their exhalation is no longer passing through the mask, so the mask is not useful in their cases.

This pandemic is not my first rodeo. While I was a JR in HS, America was hit with the 1958 Flu pandemic. It killed 116,000 out of 174 million Americans. That would be, proportionally, equal to 232,000 deaths today, a figure not yet reached by covid, even with doctored death certificates. Back then we didn't kill the economy, impose mask and social distancing rules, shut down factories and businesses and put millions out of work. The sick went to the doctor or hospital and the rest went about their normal lives. There was a second wave in October but it was too small and the vaccines that had been developed by then were not deployed.

On Nov 11, 2019, my wife and I got the FluZone shot (four flu vaccines in one, using viron particles, not attenuated virons). On Dec 16th, our 57th wedding anniversary, we attended a basketball game my grandson was playing in. Behind and to the left of us, about 10 feet away, a women was coughing her head off all during the game. We felt safe. About a week or so later we came down with the worse sore throat and cough we've ever had, along with a fever, headache and the runs. It took till Feb 9th before we felt well enough to leave the house and go out. I've wondered if we actually contracted C19.

Vaccines? I hope an effective one is developed but no one can say for sure that scientists will be successful. It has been claimed that C19 has already mutated at least twice. C19 is an RNA viron. Flu is a DNA viron. We have been somewhat successful in developing vaccines against various strains of the flu, but not so much against RNA virons. SARS and MERS vaccines were not developed in time to be applied to their outbreaks. Tests on four SARS vaccines established that they damaged the lungs worse than the SARS did. What stopped the outbreaks of both virons was herd immunity. Eventually, we will get to herd immunity with C19 as well and masks will have little effect on when that day arrives. Just like we still have occasional outbreaks of H1N1 flu (of the 1918 pandemic fame) we will have outbreaks of various C19 strains in the future. In fact, just about every pathogen we've experienced in the past is still with us and pop up occasionally.

The big problem with a vaccine is the amount of lead time needed to prepare sufficient doses for mass inoculations. Scientists have to decide which viron(s) they think will be active during the next flu season and make vaccines for it. If they are wrong then the vaccine won't be of any value in fighting the strain that actually appears. That will be true for a C19 vaccine as well.

May you live long and prosper.

Comment

Working...
                              X