Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Keepass 2 not working in Kubuntu 20.04 beta.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keepass 2 not working in Kubuntu 20.04 beta.

I installed Keepass 2 from the PPA and it doesn't want to launch. Whats going on here?

https://sourceforge.net/p/keepass/di...read/17d1bd26/

The PPA does not seem to have any packages for 20.04 at the moment. It should have given you an error when updating your system after adding the PPA, if the add-apt-repository command (preferred) was used to add it.
    As there are no 20.04 packages, I will have to guess that you have added or edited the PPA repo manually to make it use a previous release, or installed this another way, say from a manually downloaded package?

Without more info on what specifics you did and terminal info when you try to run it from there, I'll guess that whatever you installed is not compatible with 20.04's system libraries, or is missing some bit it needs.

Comment

looks like the ver of keepass you linked to was for versions 10-11 of the *buntu's ,,,,

you should not need a PPA for it now it is in the standard repo's , it seems to me

Code:
      vinny@vinny-bonox8:~$ apt search keepass
      Sorting... Done
      Full Text Search... Done
      keepass2/bionic,bionic 2.38+dfsg-1 all
      Password manager

keepass2-doc/bionic,bionic 2.38+dfsg-1 all
      Password manager - Documentation

keepassx/bionic 2.0.3-1 amd64
      Cross Platform Password Manager

keepassxc/bionic 2.3.1+dfsg.1-1 amd64
      Cross Platform Password Manager

kpcli/bionic,bionic 3.1-3 all
      command line interface to KeePassX password manager databases

libfile-keepass-perl/bionic,bionic 2.03-1 all
      interface to KeePass V1 and V2 database files
      oops 20.04 , I dont know

VINNY
      i7 4core HT 8MB L3 2.9GHz
      16GB RAM
      Nvidia GTX 860M 4GB RAM 1152 cuda cores

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        The PPA does not seem to have any packages for 20.04 at the moment. It should have given you an error when updating your system after adding the PPA, if the add-apt-repository command (preferred) was used to add it.
        As there are no 20.04 packages, I will have to guess that you have added or edited the PPA repo manually to make it use a previous release, or installed this another way, say from a manually downloaded package?

Without more info on what specifics you did and terminal info when you try to run it from there, I'll guess that whatever you installed is not compatible with 20.04's system libraries, or is missing some bit it needs.
        Yeah I did see an error message either when I added the PPA or installing it though I'm pretty sure I got the error message when adding the PPA.

Also it looks like there's only a 32bit version of Keepass 2 currently.

https://keepass.info/help/kb/faq.html#x64

Comment

Originally posted by vinnywright View Post
          l

you should not need a PPA for it now it is in the standard repo's , it seems to me

oops 20.04 , I dont know

VINNY
          You are correct Vinnie
          It is definitely available in the normal repos, and is the current release:

https://packages.ubuntu.com/search?s...ywords=keepass

No need for a PPA at all, for focal at least.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperSapien64 View Post
            Yeah I did see an error message either when I added the PPA or installing it though I'm pretty sure I got the error message when adding the PPA.
            That should have been a sign

Also it looks like there's only a 32bit version of Keepass 2 currently.

https://keepass.info/help/kb/faq.html#x64
            That is not what that page says, exactly
            KeePass 1.x Only
            No. The 32-bit application also runs fine on a 64-bit operating system though.

KeePass 2.x Only
            On a 64-bit operating system, KeePass runs as 64-bit application. On a 32-bit operating system, KeePass runs as 32-bit application. There are no separate installers/packages.

Comment

@ claydoh

Well I just tried a fresh install of Kubuntu 20.04 beta in Virtualbox. And I tried installing Keepass 2 from the Discover Software Center and it won't launch.

Comment

Maybe try KeepassX or KeeppassXC?

I use KeepassX but it seems users forked it to KeepassXC due to slow development of KeepassX.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
                  Maybe try KeepassX or KeeppassXC?

I use KeepassX but it seems users forked it to KeepassXC due to slow development of KeepassX.
                  I tried installing KeepassXC and I was able to launch that but I prefer Keepass 2 but I'm not sure why Keepass 2 doesn't want to work in Kubuntu 20.04 beta maybe it has something to do with Mono (which Keepass 2 uses to run in Linux). https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mono_(software)

Comment

I just installed Kubuntu 19.10 in VB and then tried installing Keepass 2 and same issue. So this bug goes back to at least Kubuntu 19.10.

Comment

What happens trying to run it from the terminal (command is keepass2)?

All these keepass variants are not physically packaged by Ubuntu at all, they are in the Universe component, which mostly consists of packages automatically imported from Debian, as well as some community maintained things. those here are the former. There may simply be a missing dep, which is possible as there could be something that normally is installed in Ubuntu but not in Kubuntu that is not included in the dependency list.

Or they (or Mono) could be broken, and no one has bothered to report things on launchpad.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                        What happens trying to run it from the terminal (command is keepass2)?

All these keepass variants are not physically packaged by Ubuntu at all, they are in the Universe component, which mostly consists of packages automatically imported from Debian, as well as some community maintained things. those here are the former. There may simply be a missing dep, which is possible as there could be something that normally is installed in Ubuntu but not in Kubuntu that is not included in the dependency list.

Or they (or Mono) could be broken, and no one has bothered to report things on launchpad.
                        OK I ran the command keepass2 in the terminal on Kubuntu 19.10 and this what happened.

keepass2
                        System.ArgumentException: A null reference or invalid value was found [GDI+ status: InvalidParameter]
                        at System.Drawing.GDIPlus.CheckStatus (System.Drawing.Status status) [0x0009b] in <0b937e1c0ddd4bf8a08584be511c9f4d>:0
                        at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor (System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height, System.Drawing.Imaging.PixelFormat format) [0x00017] in <0b937e1c0ddd4bf8a08584be511c9f4d>:0
                        at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor (System.Drawing.Image original, System.Int32 width, System.Int32 height) [0x00000] in <0b937e1c0ddd4bf8a08584be511c9f4d>:0
                        at System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor (System.Drawing.Image original, System.Drawing.Size newSize) [0x00010] in <0b937e1c0ddd4bf8a08584be511c9f4d>:0
                        at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Drawing.Bitmap..ctor(System.Drawing.Image,S ystem.Drawing.Size)
                        at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUIX11.DefineCursor (System.Drawing.Bitmap bitmap, System.Drawing.Bitmap mask, System.Drawing.Color cursor_pixel, System.Drawing.Color mask_pixel, System.Int32 xHotSpot, System.Int32 yHotSpot) [0x0004e] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
                        at System.Windows.Forms.XplatUI.DefineCursor (System.Drawing.Bitmap bitmap, System.Drawing.Bitmap mask, System.Drawing.Color cursor_pixel, System.Drawing.Color mask_pixel, System.Int32 xHotSpot, System.Int32 yHotSpot) [0x00000] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
                        at System.Windows.Forms.Cursor.CreateCursor (System.IO.Stream stream) [0x00058] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
                        at System.Windows.Forms.Cursor..ctor (System.Type type, System.String resource) [0x00021] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
                        at System.Windows.Forms.Cursors.get_SizeNWSE () [0x0001a] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
                        at System.Windows.Forms.SizeGrip..ctor (System.Windows.Forms.Control CapturedControl) [0x00006] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
                        at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) System.Windows.Forms.SizeGrip..ctor(System.Windows .Forms.Control)
                        at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl.CreateScrol lbars () [0x000c2] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
                        at System.Windows.Forms.ScrollableControl..ctor () [0x000b0] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
                        at System.Windows.Forms.ContainerControl..ctor () [0x0000e] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
                        at System.Windows.Forms.Form..ctor () [0x00012] in <0e1823914d7643eeaf1207febb083a4a>:0
                        at KeePass.Forms.MainForm..ctor () [0x0011e] in <1a87d66627e54b199c89cc718da86a62>:0
                        at (wrapper remoting-invoke-with-check) KeePass.Forms.MainForm..ctor()
                        at KeePass.Program.MainPriv (System.String[] args) [0x00557] in <1a87d66627e54b199c89cc718da86a62>:0
                        Last edited by SuperSapien64; Apr 10, 2020, 05:02 PM.

Comment

Hello its been three days and I haven't heard a response yet. I mean isn't Kubuntu 20.04 suppose launch on April 24th? I'd like to see a fix for this bug before that date if possible.

Comment

I'd uninstall what you downloaded and installed from that site. Purge everything in your home directory associated to it. Then install keepass2 from a konsole: sudo apt install keepass2
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                              I'd uninstall what you downloaded and installed from that site. Purge everything in your home directory associated to it. Then install keepass2 from a konsole: sudo apt install keepass2
                              No need I did a clean reinstall of Kubuntu 20.04 beta in VirtualBox, and I tried installing Keepass2 from the Discover Software Center and it still wont launch. The error messages you see from above is from Kubuntu 19.10 so this bug goes back to at least version 19.10.

Comment

Working...
                              X