This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu 19.10 does not start after installing correctly

hello, Does anyone have trouble starting Kubuntu 19.10 after installing in UEFI mode? I am installing correctly with the disk in GPT and partitioned by 512mb EFI, /, / home and swap, the installation finishes correctly, but after rebooting it starts the system with the Kubuntu logo and it appears a _ blinking and no longer continues.

basically my installation is exactly like this video https://youtu.be/SCWhdcLgHao?t=188 , but it stays on screen black with
    _ blinking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	2020-04-10_20h52_05.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.0 KB
ID:	649613

specifications of my pc
    i5 3470
    gigabyte b75m d3h
    nvidia gtx 950
    8 ram

Curiously, the error also happens to me with Pos OS 19.10.

With Ubuntu 19.10 it starts and starts without problems.
    With the LTS 18.04.4 editions I have no problems

I have done the installation via USB with BalenaEtcher and Rufus
    Last edited by bluekde; Apr 10, 2020, 08:00 PM.

The 19.10 version will EOL in 3 months, so why not install 20.04? It's in beta but it will be gold on April 233rd. Besides, I've been running the beta since early January it it has been very solid on my 8 year old laptop. (It has an nvidia GT 650M GPU and the nvidia 390 works great.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

installing in UEFI mode
      I'm thinking of a common problem:

When you go to install Kubuntu with your live flash drive:

Boot your computer with the Live Kubuntu medium
      Reboot your computer with the DVD or flash drive installed.
      At the computer's POST screen, hit the proper key to enter the firmware ("BIOS") setup.
      Locate the boot or boot override menu.
      Select the DVD or USB flash drive to boot from.
      (If you are installing in UEFI mode: Your DVD or flash drive may have more than one boot menu entry; choose the entry that says UEFI or EFI.)
      from my how to here:

Installing Kubuntu -- Using the "Manual" Installation Type, with your own partitioning
      https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...l=1#post377688
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

@GreyGeek
        I am having the same problem with beta 20.04, there seems to be some kind of error with the firmware.
        My secure boot is disabled to work with other OS (linux), if I activate it it only works with windows 8 and windows 8 WHQL

@Qqmike
        yes, i am selecting my usb with uefi initial

Comment

When at the blinking cursor, can you open a terminal session?

If so, can you enter efibootmgr -v and get something like this
          Code:
          efibootmgr -v
          BootCurrent: 0000
          Timeout: 1 seconds
          BootOrder: 0000,0004,0003,0001
          Boot0000* ubuntu        HD(1,GPT,3cc3fa34-2a97-4a6e-b523-fd0961ce87ea,0x800,0xbe000)/File(\EFI\UBUNTU\SHIMX64.EFI)
          Boot0001* Hard Drive    BBS(HD,,0x0)..GO..NO...o.W.D.C. .W.D.3.2.0.0.A.A.K.X.-.0.0.E.R.M.A.0...A...>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L. . . . .W. .-.D.C.W.2.C.U.E.2.1.3.4.9.4...BO..NO...o.K.I.N.G.S.T.O.N. .S.A.4.0.0.S.3.7.2.4.0.G...A...>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.0.5.2.0.B.6.6.7.2.8.F.7.9.3.7.2. . .

. ...BO
          Boot0003* CD/DVD Drive  BBS(CDROM,,0x0)..GO..NO...o.A.S.U.S. . . . .D.R.W.-.2.4.B.1.S.T. . . .i...A...>..Gd-.;.A..MQ..L.A.E.0.D.L.C.0.0.5.5.5.6. .

. . . . . . ...BO
          Boot0004* ubuntu        HD(1,GPT,3cc3fa34-2a97-4a6e-b523-fd0961ce87ea,0x800,0xbe000)/File(\EFI\UBUNTU\GRUBX64.EFI)..BO
          The next brick house on the left
          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

That's a good idea, jglen490. I wonder if you can run efibootmgr -v from a live CD/DVD/USB? I'm thinking that it works. Or, get Boot Repair:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair

which, bluekde, you don't have to take its advice and press the go button, but you could get a report, like jglen490 is shooting for.
            An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

jglen490 won't let me write "efibootmgr -v" or anything ..

But thanks everyone for trying to help me. You can now fix the problem in Kubuntu 19.10 and and in beta 20.04

Basically it was because of the nvidia or Nouveau drivers that couldn't start

What I did was simply press the "E" key during boot, before the grub starts and add "nomodeset" just after "quiet splash", and save with the "F10" key and finally you can start the OS in low resolution, no Nouveau / Nvidia driver.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-2020-04-10-21-07-27.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	644629

Here you can already install the official nvidia.run drivers, no need to disable or blacklist Nouveau. Ready, I hope to help others too..

Reference: This video was what helped me find the problem.
              https://youtu.be/8s_dwyCDA-c
              Last edited by bluekde; Apr 10, 2020, 08:43 PM.

Comment

Glad you got it fixed. I was torn between a problem with the EFI installation, and something to do with video drivers. Glad it wasn't EFI
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Wow, glad you got it, bluekde. I was never a graphics guy, which is why I do all my DYI builds with Intel integrated graphics! Good show there.

Comment

Working...
                  X