This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Automatic Mounting of Removable Devices

I have two ext4 1TB HDDs (in addition to my system SSD), and although I am able to mount both drives just fine in Dolphin, they do not show up under System Settings > Removable Storage > Removable Devices > Attached Devices.
    The drives are not listed under "Disconnected Devices" either. The window is completely empty.

I have checked the box for "Enable automatic mounting of removable media," and "Mount all removable media at login," but when I reboot, these drives are not mounted.

I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, or if I should submit a bug.
    Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
    Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

My removable drives appear under root/media/.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
      My removable drives appear under root/media/.
      I know. And they are indeed there. I can mount them and everything. However, they are not able to be auto-mounted upon login, which is something I was able to do in 18.04. Nothing whatsoever shows up in System Settings > Removable Storage > Removable Devices > Attached Devices.
      That window used to have a list of every drive the computer had ever seen.
      There doesn't seem to be a way to manually add a location to be auto-mounted.
      Gaming/HTPC: Kubuntu 23.10 | MSI B450 Gaming+ MAX Motherboard | AMD Ryzen 5 3600XT @ 3.8GHz (x12) CPU | RX6700XT 12GB GPU | 32 GB DDR4 RAM
      Laptop: Kubuntu 23.04.1 | 2012 MacBook Pro | i7 @ 2.9GHz (x4) CPU | 16 GB DDR3 RAM​

Comment

Although I wouldn't call this "solved" in the traditional sense, since I didn't actually do anything to proactively fix it, it is nonetheless fixed. After rebooting several times, the drives just showed up where they were supposed to.

Comment

Which brings up a question, the regular partitions that are mounted automatically are in /etc/fstab.
          It used to be manually mounted partitions would be listed in /etc/mtab but I just saw that's no longer true.
          Is there another place where I can find them?

Comment

External drives are in /media/(your name)/(name of drive)

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
              Which brings up a question, the regular partitions that are mounted automatically are in /etc/fstab.
              It used to be manually mounted partitions would be listed in /etc/mtab but I just saw that's no longer true.
              Is there another place where I can find them?
              Maybe this will give you the results youre looking for?

systemd-mount --list

Please Read Me

Comment

Another sign systemd brings some handy utilities.

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                  They are for me on focal. /etc/mtab is just a link to /proc/self/mounts. A bare mount command lists the same mounts in the same order, formatted slightly differently. Both are illegible IMO.

The findmnt command produces a more readable listing. There's still too much dreck, so I filter its output to remove the sys, proc, dev, and run mounts, and reformat it a bit to suit the width of the terminal window.
                  For example
                  Code:
                  target                 source   fstype options
                  /                      sda2     btrfs  rw, noatime, ssd, space_cache, subvolid=2241, subvol=/@_focal
                  ├─/mnt/top             sda2     btrfs  rw, noatime, ssd, space_cache, subvolid=5, subvol=/
                  ├─/home                sda2     btrfs  rw, noatime, ssd, space_cache, subvolid=2242, subvol=/@home_focal
                  └─/media/john/pics     sdb4     ext2   rw, nosuid, nodev, relatime
                  That last one is a udisks mount requested by dolphin.
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Working...
                  X