X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] KDE Connect and other Communitications apps

Hi,
    So. I have KDE Connect, on my desktop, and tablet, and I also have a VOIP phone (Off of the modem).
    My goal, is to connect the VOIP through the WiFi to my Tablet, and in the future, Signal, or Telegram (Or similar) so I can send stuff directly from my Desktop.
    Is this Possible, and recommended Apps, Software, Methodology on how to do this and why. Syncing would be nice, but I want to avoid MS, Fakebook, Giggle (And-Roids Sync), and Others that actively record and monitor such communications.
    I may need to setup additional VOIP servers (numbers) in the future, that I would like to link in a similar way through to my mobile.
    FYI. I have tried to setup Signal, but my new Mobile needs a new nano SIM, so until the local phone shop opens, I am temporarily "On Pause"
    This is more on the VOIP/SIP side, but if anyone has achieved this in the past, your experience would be helpful.
    Thanks In Advance.
    <Covid-19 Free Message>

I used to use this a lot: https://www.ekiga.org/
    before I retired in 2008. But, the site appears to be dead.

The repository contains Linphone, Twinkle, the Kamallio sip server and other sip apps and utilities. While I don't have a need for a SIP phone I tried Linphone a couple years ago. If you can't find a sip server you can make your own IF your ISP's ToS allows it.

Recently I used the google talk plugin, but I noticed that today's update removed it along with Minecraft
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 30, 2020, 02:47 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      I used to use this a lot: https://www.ekiga.org/
      Working for me. Looks like a gnome APP

Recently I used the google talk plugin, but I noticed that today's update removed it along with Minecraft
      I heard rummors that they (whomever they are) was going to shut down the internet. I've looked into Google, sorry Giggles stuff, and they have admitted that they monitor all your communications, for advertisement purposes, and they sell whatever they find, like contact info, Phone numbers, etc.
      Until these companies pull the capitalist heads out of their ***es, I refuse, point blank to use their products or services.
      Thanks GreyGeek for the reply. I'll keep digging

Comment

Hi
        I regularly use KDE connect with my Android cell phone, there is an app in the app store even though they tried to removed it a few years ago.

I installed KDE connect on both my Kubuntu large screen Kparadigm Shift machine ( a Kubuntu twist) and on the Neon machine and on the phone and the ONLY real problem was the OBLIGATORY ...oh if you do not type in the access code in UNDER ONE HALF SECOND then you are stupid, setup, but when i was actually able to type them in then everything went hunky dory.

I regularly transfer images from the phone to work machine.

KDE connect on the phone automatically provides notification of phone actvity to either or both computers.

I started "socially distancing" from the phone about two years ago... yes it is on my hip at work but in the apartment I rest it against a stone that I like to have out for display or whatever...ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THE ROOM...

And also have what is known as "NoLED" on the phone so that I can see a symbol pop when a message arrives etc. from across the room and deal with most of them later.

BUT... the notifications also appear on the computer screen and i can read the notifications on the large screen from maybe...what... 6 feet away?

When I play any kind of media, or when i am on the internet watching a "news stream" or maybe a "youtube video" the media controls are on the phone in orange. I can start, stop, play, pause, change volume etc.

And both of the computers will talk to each other through KDE connect, although I seldom send files etc. since one is play and the other is work.

So, I dunno about VOIP but it does everything very handily for me.

Although I might...hmmm... try to get my new fangled microphone to interact with it...hmmmm...thanks for the idea!

woodsmoke
        Last edited by woodsmoke; Apr 01, 2020, 12:34 AM.
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
        X