Thread: Perpetual update notification for icon themes which are no longer installed

1. Back To Top    #1
    Contributing Member bradleypariah's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    03:18 AM

Unhappy Perpetual update notification for icon themes which are no longer installed

I have a perpetual notification in my system tray, and every single time I launch Discover, there are five icon themes that need updating, some of which say (I18N_ARGUMENT_MISSING).
    As you can see in the screenshot below, I have uninstalled these Icon Themes. They do not appear anywhere in Settings anymore. I have uninstalled their related Color Schemes. I have uninstalled their Look & Feel. How do I purge these themes so that I stop getting pestered to update them?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screenshot_20200328_111107.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	69.5 KB 
ID:	8716
    Gaming HTPC: Kubuntu 20.04 | i7-2600s @ 2.8GHz x8 CPU | 8GB DDR3 RAM | gtx680 4GB DDR5 GPU | 500GB SSD Cleveland-GL8 Motherboard
    Laptop: Kubuntu 20.04 | Lenovo Flex 3 1570 | i7-5500U @ 2.4GHz x4 CPU | 8GB DDR3 RAM | GeForce 920M GPU | 128GB SSD

2. Back To Top    #2
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    05:18 AM
    Clear the apt cache and see if that clears things up.

sudo apt update
    sudo apt clean
    sudo apt autoclean
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 28th 2020 at 10:07 PM.

3. Back To Top    #3
    Insert Pithy Nothingness here claydoh's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    06:18 AM
    Homepage: Go to claydoh's homepage
    Quote Originally Posted by GreyGeek View Post
    Clear the apt cache and see if that clears things up.

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get clean
    sudo apt-get autoclean
    As these plasma addons were not installed via apt, this will not work. Discover handles normal packages, as well as flatpak, snaps, and plasma addons from the KDE store.

I am looking to see if this was an issue specific to 18.04, as I vaguely recall noticing this back on Plasma 5.12 era Discover. I don't think some addons installed via the Get New Stuff applets in System Settings properly register or carry over to Discover, or is that vice-versa?
    Have you tried to 'uninstall' these from within Discover, as a workaround?

https://bugs.kde.org/buglist.cgi?com...resolution=---

4. Back To Top    #4
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Thanks for the catch! That was just a quick copy&paste. The "-get" parts should be removed.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by claydoh View Post
    Have you tried to 'uninstall' these from within Discover, as a workaround?
    When I try that, each time I uninstall one of the offenders, I see my Update tally in Discover drop by one. Once I've uninstalled all five themes, my update notification in Discover drops to zero. Then if I close Discover and re-launch it, all five themes show back up and ask to be updated again.
    Gaming HTPC: Kubuntu 20.04 | i7-2600s @ 2.8GHz x8 CPU | 8GB DDR3 RAM | gtx680 4GB DDR5 GPU | 500GB SSD Cleveland-GL8 Motherboard
    Laptop: Kubuntu 20.04 | Lenovo Flex 3 1570 | i7-5500U @ 2.4GHz x4 CPU | 8GB DDR3 RAM | GeForce 920M GPU | 128GB SSD

6. Back To Top    #6
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Launch Muon Package Manager (or, if it isn't installed, install it: sudo apt-get install muon). Find the packages with it and look at the Status tab and click through the options to see if any parts of the packages are still present. IF they are, mark the package for Purging.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    Twin Cities Bicycling Club - "And miles to go before I sleep."

7. Back To Top    #7
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Again, this has zero to do with apt or Debian packaging at all, but is related to plasma addons - themes and the like, with no connection to 'normal' package management. These are things usually installed from within System Settings via the 'Get New <addon>' option, but have long been searchable and installable from within Discover.

I have not yet found out how or where the info is stored on which addons are installed to see if it can be cleared, so it may be worth the effort to re-install them from within Discover and then uninstall them from within Discover. I am going to guess this is how I fixed it for myself when I experienced this some years ago. I cannot reproduce this on my KDE Neon system, which has some themes etc installed both via Discover and via System Settings, nor on a test Kubuntu 18.04 setup.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Quote Originally Posted by claydoh View Post
    it may be worth the effort to re-install them from within Discover and then uninstall them from within Discover. I am going to guess this is how I fixed it for myself when I experienced this some years ago.
    No love, unfortunately. Do some of the themes, icons, and looks from within System Settings come from Snapd and/or Flatpak if those things are enabled within Discover? I've been having lots of problems with Flatpaks lately (basically, I can't install anything from Flathub or any Flatpaks from Discover), and I'm wondering if these rogue theme elements came from there.

9. Back To Top    #9
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    No, just via the KDE store

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk