This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Installation] Cannot see SSD

I'm using a Dell Inspirion 17 and have replaced the original 1Tb HDD with a 256Gb SSD. It has been working fine with Kubuntu 19.04.
    I have tried twice to install the latest build of 20.04 from a DVD and it says there is no drive to install.
    When the DVD loads, it runs a disk check that passes.
    Any suggestions?

This very recent thread is worth checking out
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/76598-Installer-doesn-t-see-SSD-hard-drive-and-stops-citing-insufficient-space

if not, what exact brand, model, and type of ssd?

Comment

All; That link Claydoh posted is probably the issue. About 6 months back I received a new work laptop that I moved from Windows to Linux. It had Intel's RST raid set and that was my issue. Once I removed that I was fine. Just note, that will leave the other SSD abandoned and you will have to use GPARTED Boot disk or something to clear it for use.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        This very recent thread is worth checking out
        https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showthread.php/76598-Installer-doesn-t-see-SSD-hard-drive-and-stops-citing-insufficient-space

if not, what exact brand, model, and type of ssd?
        Thanks for the link. I've stepped through it still the same results.
        The SSD is a Gigabyte GP-GSM2NE and the system is already set to AHCI.
        As an experiment, I tried booting with a thumbdrive with 19.10. It boots fine, but once again, cannot see the SSD to install.

Comment

I just booted from the DVD and loaded Gparted. Even Gparted doesn't see the SSD. Yet, if I remove the DVD and restart, it boots into 19.04 from the SSD just fine.

Comment

Interesting, this probably indicates how few people still install from an optical drive.

Comment

I tried to install 19.10 from a USB stick and the exact same thing happens. What is also of interest is Gparted cannot see the SSD either.
              My next step was to install a 350Gb HDD and leave the SSD in place. When I rebooted with the 20.04 DVD, it had no problem installing to the HDD. After a clean (power off) restart, it loads 20.04 from the HDD and amazingly enough, it can see the SSD as a secondary drive.

Comment

Originally posted by e.c.field View Post
                ... it loads 20.04 from the HDD and amazingly enough, it can see the SSD as a secondary drive.
                In which case you could try installing it directly from the HDD.

Comment

So, after digging for more info, this is a pcie m.2 NVME SSD. These have on-board controllers, and a few need tweaks in order to boot. They are supported, but the controller times out almost immediately, and it 'disappears'

I will guess that this ssd uses similar hardware to some that exhibit the same symptom

the bottom of the first post here may help:
                  https://forum.level1techs.com/t/leno...d-linux/143923
                  You have to do this in the live installer's grub screen, then again on the installed system's in order for the drive to be seen, then again via editing your grub config to make it permanent.

Not sure if this is needed in 20.04, as you note that you can see the drive from there.
                  Last edited by claydoh; Mar 27, 2020, 01:51 PM.

Comment

It might be worth (if possible) to disconnect the DVD drive prior to installation cq. booting the USB stick.
                    Like on my laptop I replaced the optical drive with an HD in a caddy.

Comment

Working...
                    X