Thread: Odd hangs with Synergy

1. Back To Top    #1
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    12:42 AM

Odd hangs with Synergy

Okay, I'm looking for ideas on how to fix an odd hangup issue with Synergy KVM. I'm running two machines, one's a laptop, the other a desktop. The desktop is server, the laptop is client. Everything is hard wired on gig cat6 ether. Laptop is where I'm seeing the pauses and hangs with keyboard and mouse reactions. And it seems like every either 20 or 30 seconds the keyboard and mouse just freeze when using them via Synergy. If I use them via the laptop's own keyboard and the mouse directly connected to the machine, there's no hang. Just when they're controlled by Synergy. The hang typically lasts 5-10 seconds, then anything I was doing during the hangup, be that typing, scrolling, etc, all suddenly unloads on the laptop sorta like it got backed up and then suddenly caught up again. There's no actual issues with the network connection, data continues flowing, downloads do their thing, streams continue to work, etc, etc.

The only thing hanging up is Synergy, and only on the laptop (client), but not the main PC (server). There's no errors being generated in Synergy, SSL is not enabled, and there's no load on either device when these hangups happen. They happen with a surprising regularity and almost what I would call a predictable cycle with predictable timing. So yeah, I've troubleshooted everything I can think of. If you guys have some ideas on how to debug what's going on with this, I'm all ears. Also, the Laptop is a Toshiba, desktop is a Lenovo.

2. Back To Top    #2
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    I assume you've set logging to Debug 2 on both the client and server? Synergy is very verbose at that level so you should see a hint. Honestly if Synergy isn't logging anything suspicious, I'd look into your network connection instead. I've had a few oddities using Synergy lately, but my client is Windows 10 so I blame it on that.

Have you tried asking Symless? They've been responsive to me in the past. Also you didn't say what version you're using. I'm still using 1.10.1 but 1.11.1 is the latest, or you could try the beta version 2.
    Please Read Me
    Be not the first by whom the new are tried, Nor yet the last to lay the old aside. - Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism, 1711

3. Back To Top    #3
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    I have 1.8.8 currently installed. Let me bump the logging up to level 2 and see what it says.

EDIT: Oh this is interesting. I have Synergy Pro free edition, but they're evidently not offering that anymore. Well, that sucks. Also, it's on debug level 2 and it's not generating any logs. Still gonna let this run for a bit, but that's super odd.

EDIT2: Interesting, it's reporting itself as a FOSS project, yet they make you buy it. Um, okay...
    Last edited by megosdog; Mar 27th 2020 at 03:13 PM.

4. Back To Top    #4
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Okay, that was interesting. Pushed it to debug level 2 and it logged so much stuff it crashed my workstation. o.0 No errors in the logs though. Just lots of mouse movement notifications and entering and leaving the screen.

5. Back To Top    #5
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    AFAIK, it started as a FOSS program but went commercial eventually. There's a license on the website. I bought a lifetime PRO license when they first went to the pay scheme. I love the program - it's a really simple solution to an annoying problem - that being having 2 or more keyboard/mouse sets on my desk. I have noticed lately it take awhile for my client to connect, but being Windows 10 I assume that's the problem.

If no errors, then maybe the problem isn't being caused by Synergy. Are you using the default port? I switch from the default. Maybe there's a port conflict? Jut really guessing at this point.
    Please Read Me
    Be not the first by whom the new are tried, Nor yet the last to lay the old aside. - Alexander Pope, An Essay on Criticism, 1711

6. Back To Top    #6
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    I'm using port 24800. Not sure if that's default or not. o.0 I also got deeper into the settings and found that "synchronize screensavers" was turned on. Since I use autolock rather than screensavers, I'm wondering if that might be it. I might also try swapping ports later to see if that changes anything.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    [2020-03-27T17:01:21] WARNING: failed to connect to server: server is not responding
    /build/synergy-3N7yN5/synergy-1.8.8-stable+dfsg.1/src/lib/synergy/ClientApp.cpp,312

[2020-03-27T17:01:14] WARNING: can't leave screen
    /build/synergy-3N7yN5/synergy-1.8.8-stable+dfsg.1/src/lib/server/Server.cpp,491

Well, I have something finally. I'll have to kick this to the Synergy guys and see what they can do with it. Looks like the two sides are complaining, but I'm still not sure who's fault it is.

8. Back To Top    #8
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    I stopped using synergy a while ago and moved to barrier (fork of Synergy 1.9). I had a similar problem where my client would drop randomly or get really really laggy. Ended up being a firmware issue with the usb controller. See my laptop is to thin to have a network port , so it came with this usb C Adapter instead. All my other net stuff seamed to work correctly while using it, other then barrier that would have either random lag at time or just drop the client. (IT also did the same thing in windows on the same machine)I thought the USB c device was acting up so i tried another of my USB Network Adapter that i have with no change, then one day My Network Manager started to hang if i had a USB NIC in use sometimes (once or twice a week then it became daily or several times a day). While I am not saying this is your issue but if you have a dell laptop with usb C network adapter check your firmware is up to date. Since i updated my firmware last week it has not happened once.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

9. Back To Top    #9
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    Ah, interesting. Yeah, I saw that Barrier was a good alternative, but I didn't see any install packages for Kubuntu 18.04. SO I didn't try it yet. Do you know if that's in the repos, and if not, where to find it so I can install it?

10. Back To Top    #10
    Threads
    Local Date
    May 29th 2020
    Local Time
    This ppa has packages for Bionic ppa https://launchpad.net/~jonathonf/+ar...ubuntu/barrier
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast