Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu 19.10 boots to Grub

My laptop is running Kubuntu 19.10

I was attempting to install Kubuntu 19.10 on a USB Stick to give to a friend to tryout.
    Now I can only boot into my system if the USB Stick is loaded and i select my system in the boot menu.

Without the USB Stick it will only boot to a Grub screen. That says TAB for option-producing a list.

Could it be an issue with permissions or the fstab file?

Any Idea what i did wrong and how to correct it.

Thank you for the help

It sounds like you set up a dual boot system between the USB stock and your laptop, and you installed the boot loader on the USB stick. Here is a linke which describes the repair:
    https://www.fosslinux.com/4477/how-t...usb-drive.htm/

This episode begs the question: "How do you back up, and how often?". IF, for example, you had used BTRFS and this problem occured it would take you all of three minutes to restore @ & @home and reboot into your system, either manually or with TImeShift.

Also, 19.10 is close to EOL, and 20.04 is three weeks away from going Gold. I've been using it since mid January and it is Gold for me already. It's time to back up your data to an external drive and install 20.04!
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Mar 26, 2020, 09:06 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by mxlance View Post
      Now I can only boot into my system if the USB Stick is loaded and i select my system in the boot menu.
      Maybe you just need to into the firmware (often called the BIOS) when you start the system and change the boot device.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Thank You so much for the reply
        The link provided did not work for me. However it gave me an idea what to look for.

The info below did work.

https://askubuntu.com/questions/8312...-efi-partition

Reinstall the GRUB boot loader to your Ubuntu installation in EFI mode this way ...

Boot from the Ubuntu installation medium and select 'Try Ubuntu without installing'.
        (Boot your install medium in EFI mode, select the Ubuntu entry with UEFI in front.)

Once you are on the Live desktop, open a terminal and execute these commands :

sudo mount /dev/sdXXX /mnt
        sudo mount /dev/sdXX /mnt/boot/efi
        for i in /dev /dev/pts /proc /sys /run; do sudo mount -B $i /mnt$i; done
        sudo chroot /mnt
        grub-install /dev/sdX
        update-grub

Note : sdX = disk | sdXX = efi partition | sdXXX = system partition

To identify the partitions use GParted, the tool is included in the installation medium.

After having run the commands GRUB will be installed in the separate EFI partition.
        Again thank you for the help
        Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 27, 2020, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X