X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Can't add Google Calendar to KOrganizer

Hi,
    I am trying to get Google Calendar working in KOrganizer.

I see that there is an option for adding a Google Calendar, and when I use that, enter my Gmail address and password and continue, it seems to work at first, but after I authorize access for KOrganizer in this browser-like Google window, I get another screen that tells me to copy/paste a lengthy code into "the application" (even though I am already in the application and this window blocks it). See attached screenshot. I have no idea what to do with this, but when I close this window it just aborts and no calendar is added.

I should probably mention that I have two-factor authentication enabled, however, the initial setup process requires my actual password and verification from my phone - a separate app password does not work, even though that is the way I have my Gmail account set up in KMail.

The reason I am not posting this in the main forum is that I am still running 16.04.6 LTS and I am not sure how much has changed since. My KDE Frameworks version is 5.18.0.
    Should I just upgrade? I'm a bit worried that it may break even more... but that is maybe something for a different thread...

Any insights would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!
    Attached Files

Kontact is quite broken in regards to google login, so upgrading won't fix it

https://www.dvratil.cz/2019/08/konta...gration-issue/
    https://bugs.kde.org/show_bug.cgi?id=404990

Still not remedied after at least a year, but no one seems to know why it can't be re-certified, or has not been, rather.
    The next release of Kubuntu doesn't even include Kontact by default because of it, as well as a general lack of development iirc.

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply! So, would you recommend to switch to a different PIM suite? Like Thunderbird/Lightning?

Comment

Maybe, I dunno. I stopped using PIM suites long ago. But if the calendar is important, then obviously you will need to use something else. Mail has a workaround, though I have no idea if this works on an outdated KDEPIM. it should, and as the first link mentions, existing Kmail logins will work.

Comment

I still find PIM applications very convenient. The KMail workaround worked for me (I figured that out a few days ago).

Comment

So, based on @claydoh's comment and a lot more reading, I have concluded that I will have to abandon Kontact and move to something that plays nice with Google and M$ Office. I have opened a different thread to solicit recommendations/opinions: https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...-you-recommend

Comment

Working...
            X