This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

REAL problem VLC does not recognize usb microphone

Well, this is just a stumper for me and I literally do not know what to do.

The college has moved our seated classes to online only for the rest of the semester and we have a week to get thing set up.

Well...no biggie, I'm just going to post my presentations with an audio file and do video conferencing.

EXCEPT...

I have a Logitech web cam which works great with both my Neon work machine and my Kubuntu big t.v. Kparadigm shift setup.

But... I really need to get cracking on making audio files to go with the presentations.

So... I purchased a usb microphone called "Blackweb" which is USB... ok...

The SYSTEMS - - - - both the Kubuntu system and the WORK Neon system both SEE the usb microphone.

the KUBUNTU system sees the webcam and the microphone and I can record stuff etc

The NEON WORK SYSTEM SEES THE LOGITECH webcam and the microphone.

THE PROBLEM...

THERE ARE TWO VERSIONS OF VLC ON THE NEON WORK SYSTEM...

the OLDER version sees the webcam THE NEW version does not.

NEITHER VERSON SEES THE MICROPHONE

So...

What I NEED is to be able to record audio that I can save as an audio file to upload into a folder along with the presentation for the students to be able to view the presentation and play the video commentary.

USING VLC... on the WORK NEON computer.

So...sigh...

I do not want to set up a whole new kubuntu system for work... although I could...

a) does anyone have an idea about how to get VLC to work with the usb microphone?

b) maybe I could use the logitech webcam ONLY using the microphone, but cannot seem to figure out how to CAPTURE only the audio input using VLC.

so...anybody with ideas about how to do EITHER?

Thanks ahead of time!

woodsmoke
    sigpic
    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

If you just want to record audio, use Audacity. Then you can edit it nicely after in there also.

Comment

Hi Bings.
      thanks for the reply.
      Yeah, after some fiddling with Audacity, finding the microphone is a hassle but I finally found i, and it does, indeed, do the job. and also OBS studio "just finds the microphone, etc.

However, there are other things in the Learning Management System that can record directly and the "assumption" of the system is using VLC. I don't know why.

And the video conferencing app which MUST be used is Zoom, only I can't set it up because school has not started yet and i have to do yada yada to get a "meeting" setup so, which I can't do ...so the first attempt may be a big frustration for the students and me.

But, hey, thanks for the suggestion!

woody
      sigpic
      Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Soooo...

I'm not using VLC. I'm using OBS. I tried Audacity and I have used it to edit video for the college and it does great but OBS is basically clicking one button to start and another to stop.

The ONLY thing is that It defaults to .mkv as output one has to go to settings and choose the output file type, Like i just about MUST use MP4 because that is what the students hardware will most likely be able to view, using Mediplayer or VLC.

Both apps., not VLC easily found the microphone: a: Blackweb premium USB recording microphone. It is pricey like 34 bucks but is very sensitive and very directional.

If I had not lost / given away / whatever, my old junk micro jack microphone I probably could have saved myself all this hassle but oh well...

The college is pushing us to use ZOOM, but guess what it was shown to be hackable this last week but I do not know that just simple video conferencing is going to be a hacker's paradise.

I'm not going to lecure using it or anything just individual or small group question and answer and for that I am using 'guvcview" it is really simple to use and is highly adjustable for a variety of settings to "make me look better"...nothing can ever make me look "good". lol but it is easy to use etc. I first used CHEESE to determine that the system would find the webcam and then gucview, it found the camera immediately. The camera is the basic Logitech.

woodsmoke
        sigpic
        Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
          Soooo...

I'm not using VLC. I'm using OBS. I tried Audacity and I have used it to edit video for the college and it does great but OBS is basically clicking one button to start and another to stop.
          Woody, I use the same key, the right CTL to both start and stop a recording session. Works great.

The ONLY thing is that It defaults to .mkv as output one has to go to settings and choose the output file type, Like i just about MUST use MP4 because that is what the students hardware will most likely be able to view, using Mediplayer or VLC.
          I use .mp4 as the output format and pipe it to my YouTube account for private viewing.

The college is pushing us to use ZOOM, but guess what it was shown to be hackable this last week but I do not know that just simple video conferencing is going to be a hacker's paradise.

I'm not going to lecure using it or anything just individual or small group question and answer and for that I am using 'guvcview" it is really simple to use and is highly adjustable for a variety of settings to "make me look better"...nothing can ever make me look "good". lol but it is easy to use etc. I first used CHEESE to determine that the system would find the webcam and then gucview, it found the camera immediately. The camera is the basic Logitech.

woodsmoke
          Zoom is owned by Facebook, and they've "promised" to remove their spyware from their iOS version, but I haven't read anything about their Android app, their PC versions, or their Linux versions, so I assume the worse.

Also, the free version is limited to 100 connections AND only 40 minutes of viewing at a time. Then you'd have to log off and restart your session and all your students would have to log back in. That's the only way you'll get 60-80 minutes without having you and your students pay the $15/mo fee for the privilege of using it for 24 hours straight.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi GG
            thanks for the great info!

LOL I did NOT know that Zoom is owned by FB !!

Yeah I saw that limitation and LUCKILY I will not ever need that many people online or that amount of time.

As you know I have always been off into high tech and such but in this case the situation is one where a LOT of the students are going to be very 'low tech". There was another prof, who has moved to a local University to do their hazardous waste migitagion work, he is also a national guard, and he was always arguing and irritating folks that the whole "forcing students to do online stuff" was going to create a two tiered system of haves and have nots but the college jumped anyway, so now we have a situation of "low end hardware" and "hight end hardware" for the students so I am going full bore "low end".

So, as I said, I'm just going to do one on one or small group to answer individual questons.

My lectures are all powerpoints so that they can do them "asynchronously" but i will always be sitting near the computer during what would have normally been class time with a Zoom session enabled and they can pop on to ask questions.

The college has a direct link from the teachers side of the Learning Management System to zoom so all we have to do is click it and set up the link.

We then give that to the students so they can just use a browser if they wish.

Hey, thanks for the great info!

AND I hope that your backing away from stuff has helped!

woody
            sigpic
            Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
              Zoom is owned by Facebook
              Er, Zoom is a publicly traded company on NASDAQ. I imagine there's a position limit on the portion Facebook can own, without triggering a mandatory takeover offer.

However,
              Originally posted by Wikpedia
              The company's iOS app was found to be sending device analytics data to Facebook on startup, regardless of whether a Facebook account was being used with the service, and without mentioning it to the user.
              In March, Zoom was sued in US Federal Court for illegally disclosing personal data to third parties including Facebook.
              Regards, John Little

Comment

Jlittle
                interesting!
                woodsmoke
                sigpic
                Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

This site https://jitsi.org/ might help for somewhere to video conference. No special software needed, just send people the custom link.

Comment

Hi Bings!

Thankee for the link! I really do think that the windoze centric IT ppl at the college are going home worrying about the use of ZOOM. I will forward this to them because they have already embraced "Canvas" an open source Learning Managment system as opposed to "Blackboard"... THANK YOU!!

woodLIKESthelinkysmoke
                    sigpic
                    Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Working...
                    X