Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with GIMP opening from web.

Hi all.
    I'm having trouble trying to open an image file (whatever the type) with GIMP when downloading it directly from the web. For example, if I'm in Google Photos and want to download a picture and instead of selecting "save file" I choose "open with", I can do that with Gwenview just OK, but if I change to GIMP, nothing happens.
    I can always save the file to disk and then open it with GIMP, but it's annoying not being able to do it straight from the site.
    As usual, many thanks in advance!

I'm using Firefox 74.0, by the way, and I've been having this problem in previous iterations too. GIMP is 2.10.18 flatpak.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 18, 2020, 04:54 PM.

I find that Firefox offers, as an alternative to Gwenview, one other application called "env". If I choose it, nothing happens either. Strange.

Comment

Hey there, @Fernando. I haven't been around lately, so I just now read this thread. I can't honestly say I recall ever doing what you're attempting to do, but I'll give it a try tomorrow or the next day and report back.

Just to be clear, does it matter where the image is? You mentioned Google Photos, but was that simply an example, and you get the same results elsewhere?
      Xenix/UNIX user since 1985 | Linux user since 1991 | Was registered Linux user #163544

Comment

Could GIMP being a flatpack be the reason?
        Have to tried it with the GIMP version from the (K)ubuntu repositories?

And if you do need a more recent version, here is a PPA:
        https://launchpad.net/~otto-kesselgu...es_filter=eoan
        Debian KDE & LXQt • Kubuntu & Lubuntu • openSUSE KDE • Windows • macOS X
        Desktop: Lenovo ThinkCentre M75s • Laptop: Apple MacBook Pro 13" • and others

get rid of Snap scriptreinstall Snap for release-upgrade scriptinstall traditional Firefox script

Comment

1 Does Gimp itself have support for opening files from the internet (or rather downloading to temp them opening)
          the flatpak opens external images just fine, via the file>> open location option, so it definitely is not blocked in the flatpak sandboxing.

2 does this happen in the current FF 76, 19.10 has this
          Also, does it work with a 'normal' gimp?.

3 there is an extension for opening images with gimp which may be helpful

4 I can't find for the life of me see how to get FF to even prompt me with an 'open with' dialog to test with

5 with google photos, the url for image being displayed does not include an actual proper image file name, though the 'download' or 'save image \ as' context menu does give an actual jpg file.
          an example from my account : https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1Q...HW21bKWyItsGId Note the lack of 'jpg' etc
          If the browser is passing this to Gimp, it definitely won't open it.
          Last edited by claydoh; May 27, 2020, 08:10 AM.

Comment

Hi!
            Could GIMP being a flatpack be the reason?
            Have to tried it with the GIMP version from the (K)ubuntu repositories?
            Yes, it is! Why is that relevant?
            I have, buy I found other issues that made me go the flatpak route.

Just to be clear, does it matter where the image is? You mentioned Google Photos, but was that simply an example, and you get the same results elsewhere?
            No, it doesn't matter where I'm trying to download from. It's always the same.

Does Gimp itself have support for opening files from the internet (or rather downloading to temp them opening)
            It should have, I used to be able to do that when I had it from the regular repositories...

I can't find for the life of me see how to get FF to even prompt me with an 'open with' dialog to test with
            On Google Photos, for instance, just visualize a picture and clic on the "download" icon, FF offers (accorsing to your settings) the possibility to save the file to your HD or open with... and a default app or the option to choose a different one.

I think the fact that my GIMP coems from a flatpak might be the problem, although I don't know why... Anyway, thanks everybody!
            Last edited by Fernando; May 28, 2020, 01:09 AM.

Comment

I tried it. Gimp 2.8.22 (repositories). FF 76.0.1. Download, Open with, Gnu image manipulation program. It opens in Gimp.

Comment

Working...
              X