This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with shared directory /not networked/

I'm trying to create a simple shared directory on a Kubuntu 18.04 computer which my wife and I both use. I followed the instructions at www.tecmint.com/create-a-shared-directory-in-linux/ which seem representative of the solutions that I found Googling the question. The general idea is to create a group, add users to it, create a directory, set the directory group, and set tyhe directory group ID sticky. I tried it first with a new directory in /home but couldn't write files to it. I eventually resorted to cut'n'pasting the exact commands, file locations and group names from the example. Still no luck. The only way I can use the directory is if I change the owner of the directory from root to my own user name. Not too useful. I tried another similar set of instructions and it failed, too.
    What am I doing wrong?

Image of console output attached.
    Attached Files

Have you relogged/rebooted after adding the users to the group "project", group adds don't take effect instantaneously (for currently logged in users)

Comment

I did not know that. And everything is working fine this morning. If you hadn't commented, I would have thought I was going nuts.
      Thank you.

Comment

Working...
      X