This is a freshly updated system in a VM:
    Code:
    Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.3
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.67.0
    Qt Version: 5.12.5
    Kernel Version: 5.4.0-14-generic
    OS Type: 64-bit
    I enabled all krunner's plugins including "Windows" which has the description "List windows and desktop and switch them" and rebooted. Then, I created twelve windows.
    Code:
    dkb@dkb-kuff:~$ wmctrl -lx
    0x0200000e -1 plasmashell.plasmashell  dkb-kuff Desktop — Plasma
    0x02000016 -1 plasmashell.plasmashell  dkb-kuff Plasma
    0x00400007  0 konsole.konsole       dkb-kuff ~ : bash — Konsole
    0x03800006  0 dolphin.dolphin       dkb-kuff Home — Dolphin
    0x03c00006  0 dolphin.dolphin       dkb-kuff Documents — Dolphin
    0x04000006  0 kate.kate             dkb-kuff Untitled * — Kate
    0x04400019  0 Navigator.Firefox     dkb-kuff Mozilla Firefox
    0x05600006  0 kinfocenter.kinfocenter  dkb-kuff KInfocenter — Info Center
    0x05800006  0 dolphin.dolphin       dkb-kuff Desktop — Dolphin
    0x00400016  0 konsole.konsole       dkb-kuff ~ : bash — Konsole
    0x00400021  0 konsole.konsole       dkb-kuff etc : bash — Konsole
    0x00400027  0 konsole.konsole       dkb-kuff share : bash — Konsole
    0x0040002d  0 konsole.konsole       dkb-kuff themes : bash — Konsole
    0x0440009c  0 Navigator.Firefox     dkb-kuff Mozilla Firefox (Private Browsing)
    dkb@dkb-kuff:~$
    I then launched krunner with Alt+Space, typed windows and saw this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200312093149.png
Views:	1
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	649603
    • Some windows aren't listed in krunner's display. Is there a limit to how many windows are listed and, if so, can it be changed without editing system files?
    • In the description of the plugin, maybe "switch to the selection" would be appropriate rather than the existing "switch them"?

Filed a bug.
    Last edited by chimak111; Mar 12, 2020, 12:25 AM.
    Kubuntu 20.04

With the listing as shown, did you attempt to use your Down Arrow key to see if you could see additional matches below the last one shown?
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      With the listing as shown, did you attempt to use your Down Arrow key to see if you could see additional matches below the last one shown?
      The Down arrow just moves down to the next visible item, in this case, to "get xfdashboard". Pressing Down at the very bottom takes me to the top of the visible list.

Having many open windows may not be normal usage and may not have been anticipated (assuming what I see is real). In any case, there's always the filter available with Present Windows (Ctrl+F9) and other tools such as rofi (which is my preference and which also allows filtering):
      Code:
      rofi -show window -window-match-fields all -window-format "{w} {c} {t}"
      which I've bound to Alt+/
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

To debug the issue, do you get more results if you start only the windows runner with:
        Code:
        [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#18B218]qdbus[/COLOR] org.kde.krunner /App org.kde.krunner.App.displaySingleRunner windows[/FONT]
        This should tell us if the limit/bug is in the windows runner plugin itself, or if krunner limits the available results coming from all the different runners.

I usually just use the plasma windows switchers for quick switching (I rarely need to search available windows, though)

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
          To debug the issue, do you get more results if you start only the windows runner with:
          Code:
          [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#18B218]qdbus[/COLOR] org.kde.krunner /App org.kde.krunner.App.displaySingleRunner windows[/FONT]
          This should tell us if the limit/bug is in the windows runner plugin itself, or if krunner limits the available results coming from all the different runners.

I usually just use the plasma windows switchers for quick switching (I rarely need to search available windows, though)
          I opened 15 konsole windows and then tested
          first by using the code you provided
          and then after disabling all other krunner plugins.

There was no improvement.

I too don't use the plugin but someone over at Ask Ubuntu wanted to know whether there was a way to select a window (from among several others) by typing in a substring of the window's title. Ctrl+F9 has a filter function that does that but I was curious about whether krunner could do something similar.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

You might look at this help page from Arch Linux, as I've found that their documentation on how to do a thing to be pretty good.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
              You might look at this help page from Arch Linux, as I've found that their documentation on how to do a thing to be pretty good.
              That's very interesting! I'll certainly look at it tomorrow.
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
              X