USb Tethering no Working on Samsung S10e

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USb Tethering no Working on Samsung S10e

When my Wife and I travel, I find that WiFi networks are either not available or of low quality and USB tethering is much better.

I have a Samsung S10e and, while I can start USB Tethering, it fails to connect to the mobile network. I went to Samsung seeking help and to my embarrassment, usb tethering worked perfectly on Windows 10. So the problem is not with my S10e but with Kubuntu. This problem exists on both Kubuntu 19.10 and 20.04.

My Wife has a Samsung S6 and USB tethering connects to the mobile network and is fully usable on both Kubuntu 19.10 and 20.04. So I have to "borrow" her mobile to connect to the network.

The difference between these two mobiles for the lsusb listing is:

[#]lsusb Samsung S10e

Bus 001 Device 015: ID 04e8:6863 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Galaxy series, misc. (tethering mode)

lsusb Samsung S6

Bus 001 Device 002: ID 04e8:6863 Samsung Electronics Co., Ltd Galaxy series, misc. (tethering mode)[/#]

They both have the same ID but the Device is 015 for the S10e and 002 for the S6.

I have found the procedures rather obscure to change the device number and would appreciate any help on how to fix this problem.

BTW both our mobile plans now have 50GB each for free by the 4th April, so I would like to be able to use some of it!

I use a Samsung GS10 (not a 10e) and my 20.04 Kubuntu connects easily using either the USB tether (USB-3) or the Bluetooth tether. I just tried them both and got acceptable speed out of both of them. I was able to shut down my fiber optic connect and still remain connected, and my IPv6 Hurricane tunnel remained connected as well.

I have kdeconnect installed, and:
    My USB installs include libusbmuxd6, limesuite-udev, usbmuxd, usbutils
    My Bluetooth installs include bluez-cups, libbluetooth3, pulseaudio-module-bluetooth
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have checked all the packages that you have installed and there was only one missing, ie limesuite-dev. Even after installing this package, it is still not working.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
        I use a Samsung GS10 (not a 10e) and my 20.04 Kubuntu connects easily using either the USB tether (USB-3) or the Bluetooth tether. I just tried them both and got acceptable speed out of both of them. I was able to shut down my fiber optic connect and still remain connected, and my IPv6 Hurricane tunnel remained connected as well.
        When I disconnect my Ethernet cable that goes to my Router which is connected to the fiber network, I still have the WiFi on my router active. I have to make sure that the Wifi connection is also disconnected.

Does your fiber connection also have a Router with WiFi? Did you make sure that there was no other connection than that to your mobile? I have also tried Bluetooth Tethering and that also does not work.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
          When I disconnect my Ethernet cable that goes to my Router which is connected to the fiber network, I still have the WiFi on my router active. I have to make sure that the Wifi connection is also disconnected.

Does your fiber connection also have a Router with WiFi? Did you make sure that there was no other connection than that to your mobile? I have also tried Bluetooth Tethering and that also does not work.
          No, I specifically had Allo disable the WIFI in their modem (both the 2 and the 5GHz) when I purchased their service so that I could use my Buffalo N600 WIFI with DD-WRT firmware, which gives me full control of the wifi.

I did make sure that GreyGeek and GreyGeek5 were both diconnected. My IPv6 tunnel requires an Internet connection and it stopped working until I connected via bluetooth and then via USB.

I never travel much any more, much less take my laptop with me when I do, so I've never set up a tether before and was curious about how to do it and how it works. It was easy to set up and I got 30Mbps via the tether (to a Sprint network). To connect the bluetooth I used kdeconnect to do the pairing and a connection appeared in the Network Manager. For USB I just went to "Settings" --> "Mobil Hotspots and Tethering" and toggled "Bluetooth tethering" and a connection appeared in the Network Manager.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

I have decided to give specific visual examples of the speed that I am getting with USB Tethering from my Wife's Samsung S6 and my Samsung S10e.

My Wife's S6 gives the following result:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Test S6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	644612
            When I connect my S10e, I get the following:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Speed Test S10e.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	644613
            I took this image just before it vanished with the message that it failed to connect to the server.

I have now tried my S10e on Windows 10 and there were a number of optional packages to choose and sites to connect to. The speed for the Optus connection was:

Ping: 32 ms
            Download 191Mbps
            Upload 2.68Mbps

As you can see it works fine on Windows 10 but totally fails on Kubuntu 19.10 and 20.04.

This looks like a tricky problem to solve and I hope a solution is found so that I do not have to keep borrowing my Wife's mobile for USB Tethering.

Comment

Did you install kdeconnect onto your S10e? It's in the Playstore.

Comment

I have now installed kdeconnect on my mobile. Unfortunately it made no difference. When my S10e is connected, it takes forever to do:
                Code:
                sudo apt update; sudo apt dist-upgrade
                About the highest rate I see is 3,000Bps and it is more likely to show about 100Bps!

I also have a Samsung A10 which I found could not operate properly if held in a sweaty hand as it is not water proof! It no longer has a SIM card in it, but I can use it for USB Tethering. Sad to say this also fails to give internet access with USB Tethering.

Comment

Working...
                X