This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help integrating Google into Dolphin

I've done a fresh install of Kubuntu 18.04 and I want to integrate Google into Dolphin. I had done this with my previous install of 16.04 but have noticed a few improvements with 18.04 and don't want to attempt at installing the Google integration the same way as I did previously as I recon there is a newer way to do it.

I have taken a screenshot of Muon with the search results of 'google' to see what's installed.
    Is there anyone here who could help me complete installation of anything else required to be able to integrate Google into Dolphin.
    Kubuntu 18.04LTS~64bit|Plasma 5.12.9|KDE 5.47.0|QT 5.9.5|Linux 5.3.0.40~generic|M5A78L-M USB3|BIOS 2101|AMD PhenomII X4 965 3400+|P8H77-I Motherboard NIC|8.0GB PC3-10600 1333Mhz CL9 (9-9-9-24)DDR3

I've done a little searching and found that I can add a Google account, which I attempted to do but have come up against a brick wall... (See screenshot)

Why is this happening
    Has anyone else managed to add a Google account to Dolphin?
    Kubuntu 18.04LTS~64bit|Plasma 5.12.9|KDE 5.47.0|QT 5.9.5|Linux 5.3.0.40~generic|M5A78L-M USB3|BIOS 2101|AMD PhenomII X4 965 3400+|P8H77-I Motherboard NIC|8.0GB PC3-10600 1333Mhz CL9 (9-9-9-24)DDR3

Comment

By google you mean Google Drive, correct? kio-gdrive is what you need.

The google account integration thingy is mainly for gmail and contacts, calendars via Kmail/Kontact. This part is well known to be broken due to an oversight, and not sure why it has taken so long to remedy this. Fortunately this has nothing to do with google Drive access.

You may have to add the Kubuntu-updates PPA to get a newer version of Kio-gdrive if the stock version for 18.04 does not work.

Comment

Yes, kio-gdrive is installed, see my first post and check the second entry in the picture.
        canonical PPA was not ticked and I had not installed backports PPA, something which I always do but for some reason, this time I must have forgot to do...

Just installed over 300 new packages, now just going to reboot and see what's different...

Comment

Just done a check for updates and nothing was found.
          Just out of curiosity, could you give me a list of PPA's which are/should be included as standard as my list seems very sparse compared to what I saw on a fresh install of the previous LTS version (16.04).

I'm still having the same problem with trying to get my Google account linked to Dolphin.
          Last edited by pooky2483; Mar 09, 2020, 03:41 AM.

Comment

To be honest, on the small screen I was using at the time, it was not easy on my end to read the image And no I did not bother to zoom.

I don't see any reports on kio-gdrive not working in my searches just yet, so the latest available via either the updates ppa or the backports one should work, though it is not the current version.
            I am digging up my Bionic VM from my backups, and will look to see if it is working, but you probably will before I do

Comment

Instead of
              I have taken a screenshot of Muon with the search results of 'google' to see what's installed.
              you could try
              Code:
              apt list --installed | grep -i google
              and post the output here between code tags. Cleaner and greener

Sorry, that code I provided is inadequate. It only shows packages with "google" in their names. I'm posting separately what I feel is the terminal's equivalent to what Muon shows is installed.
              Last edited by chimak111; Mar 09, 2020, 10:20 PM. Reason: mea culpa!
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                Instead ofyou could try
                Code:
                apt list --installed | grep -i google
                and post the output here between code tags. Cleaner and greener
                Yeah, got to think of the environment, I dont want Greta on my case, do I

Well, I entered
                [#]apt list --installed | grep -i google[/#]
                and I got;
                WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post

Well, I entered
                  and I got;
                  Did you run that as root? Why? There's absolutely no need! You'll probably ruin your system by using root when there's no need to do so.

In any case, WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts is perfectly fine.
                  Last edited by chimak111; Mar 09, 2020, 06:48 AM.
                  Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Correct, you get that warning (well, I do) whenever you run apt list.
                    The fact that it says nothing else means you have no google-related packages.

I get:
                    Code:
                    ~$ apt list --installed | grep -i google

[COLOR="#B22222"]google[/COLOR]-chrome-stable/stable,now 80.0.3987.132-1 amd64 [installed]

Comment

There's a lot of info out there about google-kde connection being being broken. I was able to connect finally by:

Using System Settings > Online Accounts and adding my Google account there. I had to go through it several times and even tried using my phone instead of password. Eventually (about 5-6 attempts) I was able to get my accounts into System Settings.Once it was there, Dolphin opened my gdrive account.

Please Read Me

Comment

I added my Google Drive in Kubuntu without any issue; did it the first time. I believe I followed the instructions here.

Alternatively, https://community.kde.org/KIO_GDrive
                        Last edited by Snowhog; Mar 09, 2020, 11:51 AM.
                        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by pooky2483 View Post

Well, I entered
                          and I got;
                          Sorry! That code only shows packages containing "google" in their names. It doesn't show packages with "google" in their descriptions.

A better code is apt search google | grep -A 1 installed

Using apt search, by default, searches both the package and its description.

The -A 1 shows the immediate line after "[installed]" and that line includes the description of the package:

So,

Code:
                          $ apt search google | grep -A 1 installed

google-chrome-stable/stable,now 80.0.3987.132-1 amd64 [installed]
                           The web browser from Google
                          --
                          libkpimgapi-data/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
                           Google API library for KDE -- data files
                          --
                          libkpimgapicalendar5/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                           library to integrate with Google Calendar service API
                          --
                          libkpimgapicontacts5/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                           library to integrate with Google Contacts service API
                          --
                          libkpimgapicore5/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                           core library to integrate with Google service APIs
                          --
                          libkpimgapidrive5/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                           library to integrate with Google Drive service API
                          --
                          libkpimgapitasks5/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                           library to integrate with Google Tasks service API
                          $
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I used
                            Code:
                            apt search google | grep -A 1 installed
                            And got;
                            Code:

bleachbit/bionic,bionic,now 2.0-2 all [installed]
                             delete unnecessary files from the system
                            --
                            fonts-roboto-hinted/bionic,bionic,now 2:0~20160106-2 all [installed,automatic]
                             Google's signature family of fonts (hinted)
                            --
                            kaccounts-integration/bionic,now 4:17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                             System to administer web accounts
                            --
                            kaccounts-providers/bionic,now 4:17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                             KDE providers for accounts sign-on
                            --
                            kio-gdrive/bionic,bionic,now 1.2.5-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~ubuntu18.04~ppa1 amd64 [installed]
                             KIO access for Google Drive
                            --
                            libcmis-0.5-5v5/bionic,now 0.5.1+git20160603-3build2 amd64 [installed]
                             CMIS protocol client library
                            --
                            libgdata-common/bionic,bionic,now 0.17.9-2 all [installed,automatic]
                             Library for accessing GData webservices - common data files
                            --
                            libgdata22/bionic,now 0.17.9-2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                             Library for accessing GData webservices - shared libraries
                            --
                            libgoa-1.0-0b/bionic-updates,now 3.28.0-0ubuntu2.1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                             library for GNOME Online Accounts
                            --
                            libgoa-1.0-common/bionic-updates,bionic-updates,now 3.28.0-0ubuntu2.1 all [installed,automatic]
                             library for GNOME Online Accounts - common files
                            --
                            libkaccounts1/bionic,now 4:17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                             System to administer web accounts - shared library
                            --
                            libkpimgapi-data/bionic,bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 all [installed]
                             Google API library for KDE -- data files
                            --
                            libkpimgapicalendar5/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                             library to integrate with Google Calendar service API                                                                  
                            --
                            libkpimgapicontacts5/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                             library to integrate with Google Contacts service API                                                                  
                            --
                            libkpimgapicore5/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                             core library to integrate with Google service APIs                                                                     
                            --
                            libkpimgapidrive5/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                             library to integrate with Google Drive service API
                            --
                            libkpimgapitasks5/bionic,now 17.12.3-0ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                             library to integrate with Google Tasks service API
                            --
                            libopencore-amrnb0/bionic,now 0.1.3-2.1 amd64 [installed]
                             Adaptive Multi Rate speech codec - shared library
                            --
                            libopencore-amrwb0/bionic,now 0.1.3-2.1 amd64 [installed]
                             Adaptive Multi-Rate - Wideband speech codec - shared library
                            --
                            libprotobuf-lite10/bionic,now 3.0.0-9.1ubuntu1 amd64 [installed]
                             protocol buffers C++ library (lite version)
                            --
                            libvo-aacenc0/bionic,now 0.1.3-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                             VisualOn AAC encoder library
                            --
                            libvo-amrwbenc0/bionic,now 0.1.3-1 amd64 [installed,automatic]
                             VisualOn AMR-WB encoder library
                            --
                            libvpx5/bionic-updates,bionic-security,now 1.7.0-3ubuntu0.18.04.1 amd64 [installed]
                             VP8 and VP9 video codec (shared library)

Comment

I was having trouble with KDE Neon and my Google account. Installing the kde-telepathy metapackage fixed it.
                              Constant change is here to stay!

Comment

Working...
                              X