Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My computer failed to go into sleep mode, and then a bunch of stuff went haywire.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My computer failed to go into sleep mode, and then a bunch of stuff went haywire.

When I tried to put my computer to sleep this afternoon, it... crashed? The screen went black like it's supposed to, but then the computer didn't actually go to sleep. The fan continued running, the power light stayed on, etc. And with no way to "wake it up", I was forced to do a hard power-down and then boot up again. Is there some kind of log I can pull up to see what might have gone wrong?

That's what I was going to post when it happened, but then things got weirder.

When I did turn it back on, I hit Esc to see if there might be any useful messages in the boot text. What happened was something I've never seen before: It kept flashing back and forth between the Kubuntu splash screen and the actual text mode. Like, at strobe-light speed. The boot text was full of "clearing orphaned inode" messages, which just kept going on and on for like five minutes and at one point started displaying in red before going back to white. Eventually I gave up on watching for signs of anything new and started looking stuff up on my tablet, and the next thing I knew, the computer rebooted itself. This time, without any prompting from me, the flashing resumed, with what looked like a normal boot (not that it was particularly readable), but KDE came up with corrupted graphics. Just a bunch of crazy blue lines. I hit the power button to shut down, and tried one more time to boot up, and this time it worked normally. I let the splash screen play out, afraid to touch anything until I was at the KDE login screen.

I feel like this is not the first time the computer has failed to go to sleep and I've had to cold-reboot it, but this is the first time anything this weird has happened afterward. But neither is normal behavior for this computer and I'd like to know what might have caused it, and what I can do to stop it from happening again.

The flashing inode messages probably are the result of a forced shutdown leaving the file system damaged.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
    X