Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Clementine or Strawberry - Sort albums by year? Sort playlist by filename?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Clementine or Strawberry - Sort albums by year? Sort playlist by filename?

I am migrating from Amarok and trying out Clementine and its variant Strawberry. I have two concrete problems I want to solve:

1. In my library/collection (left-hand sidebar), under each artist I want to sort albums by year instead of by name (and preferably also show the years in the list).
    2. When adding a bunch of tracks to the current playlist, I want the application to auto-sort them all by some criterion - in my case file name.

I have not found any settings related to sort. But I found this GitHub thread: sort playlist by many criteria at the same time #1154. The title of it suggests that there exists a feature to sort a playlist by one criterion at a time, but I cannot find it.

Does anyone know whether any of these features exist, in either Clemetine or Strawberry? Alternatively, can you recommend a music player that has them?

I'd be highly suspect of any information, actual or implied, in a thread that was started over six years ago, and itself cites posts from nearly ten years ago!
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

1. Strawberry has this feature. Click the spanner icon at the top of the left hand sidebar and the "group by" menu will do this. It groups the years into sections and also shows the years as a prefix to the album name.

2. The playlist can be sorted by filename in Strawberry. It works like a list of e-mails in an e-mail client sorting wise.

Comment

Originally posted by Bings View Post
        1. Strawberry has this feature. Click the spanner icon at the top of the left hand sidebar and the "group by" menu will do this. It groups the years into sections and also shows the years as a prefix to the album name.
        Ohh! There's an icon there. I completely missed it.

2. The playlist can be sorted by filename in Strawberry. It works like a list of e-mails in an e-mail client sorting wise.
        Is this configurable?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the answer!

Comment

you could always try elisa The new KDE music player.
          Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
          (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Originally posted by Spectrum View Post
            Ohh! There's an icon there. I completely missed it.

Is this configurable?

Anyway, thanks a lot for the answer!
            You click the headers to sort and you can can right click and see what headers to show.

Click image for larger version

Name:	playlistwindow.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	47.2 KB
ID:	644595

It doesn't autosort it as far as I can see, you have to click the header after you add the tracks but it's still being updated regularly so you could ask whoever is doing it for the feature.

Comment

Originally posted by sithlord48 View Post
              you could always try elisa The new KDE music player.
              Thanks. Elisa doesn't seem to let me sort albums, though.

You click the headers to sort and you can can right click and see what headers to show.
              Ohh, I can right-click there! That's secret. Thanks.

Comment

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8681[/ATTACH]
                What is telling with this, is that developer either doesn't know, or doesn't know how, to include in the column header the sort indicator; the triangle. Almost ALL 'well written' GUIs that present data in sortable columns have that. Now I would have just 'tried' it, as it would be something I'd expect in columnar displayed lists.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                  What is telling with this, is that developer either doesn't know, or doesn't know how, to include in the column header the sort indicator; the triangle.
                  The triangle is there (it's an arrow on my application theme, but it's there).

Comment

I should have realized that! Therefore, my 'dis' against the developer is withdrawn!

Comment

I've been using Elisa. I really like the look. Very "Plasma". Unfortunately it doesn't have a lot of extras like tune-able sort order. Seems to me it's be simple enough to allow sorting by and tag string

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X