This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
    What then is python-apt for, which is also at the same version?
    That is the python 2 version. Not much needs it any more, but there are a few things.

Code:
    $ reverse-depends python-apt
    Reverse-Recommends
    ==================
    * python-debian

Reverse-Depends
    ===============
    * python-apt-dbg
    * python-apt-dev
    * xdeb
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
      Code:
      sudo apt-get install muon apt-xapian-index python3-apt=1.9.8
      Many thanks for that. It worked for me as well and after doing that, I got the message:
      Code:
      The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
      python3-xapian
      Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
      The following packages will be REMOVED
      apt-xapian-index muon
      The following packages will be upgraded:
      python3-apt
      1 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 2 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
      Need to get 154 kB of archives.
      After this operation, 2,427 kB disk space will be freed.
      Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
      This message was no longer present after using Muon to disable proposed.

I will now have to remove synaptic which was my standby when Muon failed to install. Looks like I will have to stick with no proposed option until this problem is resolved in python3.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
        DON'T USE THE PROPOSED POCKET. It exists as a QA barrier to protect the release pocket from such breakage, NOT as a way to get cool new things sooner!
        This can't be stressed enough, by using proposed repos you are testing things that don't need to be tested and reporting breakages that don't need to be reported. What you do with your machine is your business but reporting the issues you face and asking for help eats up other people's time as well, time that could be productively spent elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
          This can't be stressed enough, by using proposed repos you are testing things that don't need to be tested and reporting breakages that don't need to be reported. What you do with your machine is your business but reporting the issues you face and asking for help eats up other people's time as well, time that could be productively spent elsewhere.
          I did check to see if any bugs were reported using [#]muon : Depends: apt-xapian-index but it is not going to be installed[/#] but all bugs were old for example https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ex/+bug/363695. and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dex/+bug/65583.

I am wondering if the developers were aware of the problem related to the installation of muon. I hope they are now aware of it.

From now on, as I have two systems with 20.04, I have one with proposed and the other without proposed. IF I find a problem with the proposed system, how should I go about notifying anyone of the problem?

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
            IF I find a problem with the proposed system, how should I go about notifying anyone of the problem?
            I think what kubicle and acheron are saying, is that no one (maybe pure developers?) should be using the proposed repository. Period. It exists for a specific use case, and people like us don't fall into that use case group. That's what I think.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Sorry for stealing this thread but I know those on this chain can answer.

So, I have an 18.04 system that I want to migrate to 20.04. Best way? I'd like to help in the Beta Testing if at all possible.

Thanks!

Comment

Why not just get a daily build, install it to a separate partition, copy your /home to it (unless you already have it separate), see how you like it.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post

So, I have an 18.04 system that I want to migrate to 20.04. Best way? I'd like to help in the Beta Testing if at all possible.

Thanks!
                  https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...r-Beta-testing

I don't think that upgrades are being tested just yet, though i think it will be soon, based on past history. Note that there are no upgrade testing scenarios listed on the Kubuntu page as of yet.

Comment

I usually just install it in the same place as the old distro.
                    Only format the root partition, leave the content on the /home directory with he exception of the hidden files and hidden directories like .kde, .local, .config and .cache that should be deleted before installing. (So you keep things like .thunderbird, .pan, .mozilla and all the visible files and directories)

Obviously you want to have a recent back up in case the installation goes wrong.

But yes, as Don B. Cilly writes, providing you have enough disk space you would be better off installing on separate partitions to make a multi-boot system.

Comment

Mixing parts of your old install, even IF it is only your home account, is a good way to create an unstable or problem plagued installation. My recommendation is to do the hard work of backing up your important data, doing a clean install to bare metal, and then install from the repository all the apps you need or want BEFORE restoring config files and data from your home backup. Then, after you've confirmed that your installation is running the way you want, use a backup tool to make a backup, then install the apps you use which are not in Kubuntu's standard repositories. If you are using BTRFS then a simple snapshot of @ and @home will take 5 seconds, or for ext4, Timeshift will do the back honors but it will take several minutes.

IF you only used AppImages and all of your images were inside your home account, or, all your installed apps were installed inside your home account, then installing 20.04 and not deleting /home would make sense. As it is, most apps split their installation between root, /opt, /sbin, etc., and data and other certain files, like ~/.local or ~/.config, etc... which are installed inside the home account.

tldr; summary: clean installs are always the most trouble free. IMO.
                      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks!
                        Glad to hear that you are giving it a go and welcome to this thread.

As a seasoned Kubuntu participant, I assume you have a separate home partition. To be on the safe side it would be useful to copy all your /home directory and its hidden files onto an external drive which is formatted to your preferred Kubuntu file system. I made a big mistake recently when I could not copy my /home to a Kubuntu file system. I was using KDE Partition Manager and it made the owner and user root! I was able to change this back to my /home directory ownership and do the copy.

I have always installed a new system by using the manual option for disk partitioning, in the installation process, and format /root and keep the /home as is. If I strike problems on reboot, I then try locating the hidden file/files causing the problem and change names by adding _bk to the end of the file. I have always found on reboot that the system creates new versions and I then copy files that I need from my backup directory.

Hope you have success with 20.04 and find it, as many of us do, to be a great system.

Comment

I would pretty much go with what NoWorries wrote, except that I am a fan of clean installs. I always created a single partition, "/" and let the system create /home without making it a separate partition. Then I install the applications I want. Then I do a reboot and make a backup. When that is finished I copy over the config and data file from the backup of my old /home account and adjust any setting that didn't get set up the way they were before the upgrade.
                          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

Bionic To Focal One Shot

So, I have an 18.04 system that I want to migrate to 20.04. Best way?
                            You should do a bootable stick of the daily ISO first, just in case. Backup important stuff.
                            http://cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu/daily-live/current/

It's not all mirrors that support 20.04 yet. The best and fastest way is the is one below, we did it from 19.10 the very first week (Eoan). We have been tested many daily builds since then.

We have lost the installation 3 times in Proposed early in the cycle, but we define ourself as an aggressive tester.

Upgrading Bionic Beaver to Focal Fossa:

Code:
                            sudo sed -i 's/bionic/focal/g' /etc/apt/sources.list
                            Code:
                            sudo apt update && sudo apt -y dist-upgrade
                            Code:
                            do-release-upgrade -c
                            Code:
                            sudo do-release-upgrade
                            Before upgrading, do the following and redo them after upgrade:

Code:
                            sudo apt update && sudo apt upgrade -y
                            Code:
                            sudo apt autoremove
                            Clear thumbnails and cache:
                            Code:
                            rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*.png
                            Code:
                            rm -v -f ~/.cache/thumbnails/*/*/*.png ~/.thumbnails/*/*/*.png
                            Code:
                            sync; echo 3 | sudo tee /proc/sys/vm/drop_caches
                            Go luck,
                            Last edited by Radcliff; Mar 28, 2020, 12:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                              From now on, as I have two systems with 20.04, I have one with proposed and the other without proposed. IF I find a problem with the proposed system, how should I go about notifying anyone of the problem?
                              Just for the record, my system with proposed enabled, now has muon working and I have purged Synaptic from this system.

Comment

I did a test of installing 20.04 into a 64GB USB stick in an attempt to try out ZFS as the root fs. BUT, I couldn't find it in the list of file systems to choose from. I posted about this on Telegraph and Valorie told me that ZFS is NOT in the list of file systems to chose from and probably won't be added until some "things" are worked out.

Comment

Working...
                                X