This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Final Focal on Kubuntu 20.04

It is now 2 months to the release of Focal.

I am continuing to find this to be a very stable distribution.

My only outstanding annoyance is with Dolphin as it does not show "Removable Devices" when launched. I have to right mouse click in the left panel "Places" and select "Show Hidden Places" each time I launch Dolphin.

With my Pre-release updates selected and with additional repositories for the latest kernel and plasma as shown in this image.

I now have the following major system features compared with the system 3 months ago:

3 Months to go 2 Months to go
    KDE Plasma Version 5.17.90 5.18.1
    KDE Frameworks Version 5.66.0 5.67.0
    QT Version 5.12.5 5.12.5
    Kernel Version 5.4.0-12-generic 5.4.0-15-generic
    Focal LTS continues to advance on all major fronts and, as before, QT Version is still at the same version number. This summary unfortunately overlooks all the advancements in other applications.

I continue to enjoy using Focal and am impressed with all the advances being made. I realize that there is a lot of hard work and dedication to produce this system. I wish to congratulate all those involved at doing such a great job.
    Attached Files

Mine shows "Removable Devices" on the left side. It seems there was an issue awhile back when I couldn't get the left side showing what I wanted. There must be a config file somewhere to edit. I 'zsync' at least once a month, and my issue went away.
    Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
      Mine shows "Removable Devices" on the left side. It seems there was an issue awhile back when I couldn't get the left side showing what I wanted. There must be a config file somewhere to edit. I 'zsync' at least once a month, and my issue went away.
      I am wondering what files you specify for 'zsync'.

To illustrate what I have not been able to solve is shown below. The one on the left is when I start Dolphin and the one on the right is when I right mouse click in the Places panel and select "show hidden places"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin_start.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	644593 Click image for larger version

Name:	Dolphin_show.jpg
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	644594

I look forward to knowing how 'zsync' can fix this as I often need to unmount removable devices.

Comment

I was referring to the updated ISO. Once I installed kubuntu with current ISO then my left-side Dolphin was fixed. 'zsync' updates old ISO to newest.
        Boot Info Script

Comment

Plasm 5.18. 2 landing in Focal

https://kde.org/announcements/plasma...-changelog.php
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Name:	Screenshot_20200225_205637.png
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	644596

What is the reason for using the staging PPAs? They are very often broken and incomplete, and not meant for using as regular repos - hence the 'Staging" moniker. They are a place to stash things until all the bits are ready to go to the official repos. They don't add anything to the pre-release 'experience', and will be very possibly harmful post-release.

And, to boot, the Applications Staging PPA is missing, BTW. Might as well add a third vector for issues and problems.

Sure it is fine to do with your system what you want, but perhaps if you advertise what you are using, maybe explain why you added those PPAs, what they are supposed to bring to the table. and the downsides to using them.

Years ago when I was less inactive on the Kubuntu team, I inquired about hiding or perhaps moving some of these PPAs somewhere to make them less visible, but they can't be hidden, and iirc moving them was not a feasible.

BTW, you are missing the Applications Staging PPA Might as well add a third vector for issues and problems.

Comment

From what verndog had done to fix up Dolphin, I decided to do a re-install. I used the 24th Feb version, and since I have a UHD system, I found that I could only do an installation if I selected "start Kubuntu (Safe graphics)" option. On a previous installation I did not need to do this.

The above problems that I reported above still exist after the re-install.

I found that after the installation with the system updated by the pre-released option, I had all the major items that I listed at the 2 Month status above. So I didn't add the staging PPAs. Following what you suggested I did:
              Code:
              sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-kdeapplications
              I found that this ppa did not add any updated packages.

So I now have the following shown below.

Name:	Software_Sources.png
Size:	147.3 KB
ID:	644597

The graphic drivers did not add anything at this stage whereas the oibaf certainly adds packages on a daily basis. I do this because my system has an AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL / 870 Graphics adapter. Currently there is no Linux driver for this card from AMD.

I add the kernel ppa to get the latest update which will hopefully benefit my graphics performance.

I add the firefox-next because, when I installed Focal, launching Firefox meant that I would have to fill in all the details for it to work. I found that the next version worked with all my bookmarks and logins that I use frequently.

So thanks claydoh for your suggestions and I hope the above clarifies why I do what I do.

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
                Plasm 5.18. 2 landing in Focal
                I got 5.18. 2 this morning on neon testing and it pretty much went BOOM
                Symptoms being total freeze for five full minutes then everything going normal.

Comment

Nothing 'boom' here.
                  On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                    Following what you suggested I did:
                    Code:
                    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:kubuntu-ppa/staging-kdeapplications
                    I don't think he really suggested you should actually do that

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                    I got 5.18. 2 this morning on neon testing and it pretty much went BOOM
                    Symptoms being total freeze for five full minutes then everything going normal.
                    No BOOMs here. After a plasma upgrade, it is a good practice to restart plasma to avoid compatibility issues (you might still have parts of the old version running in memory, and there might be compatibility problems if you try to run something from the new version on top of that)

Comment

I will remove the staging-kde-applications.

I also got KDE Plasma 5.18.2 quite a few hours ago and it all went well without a hitch.

The problem with Desktop Widgets going for a walk about has yet to be resolved on my system, so I shifted my Hard Disk Space Usage to the top left corner and now it stays put!

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                        No BOOMs here. After a plasma upgrade, it is a good practice to restart plasma to avoid compatibility issues
                        Yeah, well, what went BOOM is something else then. It's neon Testing... :·) just coincidentally it got 5.18.2.
                        And it did it (and keeps doing it) at boot.
                        It's a total freeze. Panel moves to the left, network notification freezes in place, analog clock has immovable seconds hand, Latte is shown but unresponsive. The mouse moves. Ctrl-alt-del does nothing.

I'll update 20.04 and see what it does, shall I.

[EDIT] on 20.04, after update and reboot, no BOOM.
                        But it's still on 5.18.1.

Repositories, it says
                        Code:
                        Hit:1 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal InRelease
                        Hit:2 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-updates InRelease
                        Hit:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-security InRelease
                        Hit:4 http://es.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu focal-backports InRelease
                        Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Feb 26, 2020, 06:33 AM.

Comment

The graphic drivers did not add anything at this stage whereas the oibaf certainly adds packages on a daily basis. I do this because my system has an AMD Radeon RX Vega M GL / 870 Graphics adapter. Currently there is no Linux driver for this card from AMD.
                          That is because AMD uses and supports the open amdgpu driver, and Mesa. Their AMDGPU-PRO is for professional graphics workstation usage, so seldom adds anything for most users, and is actually based on the open driver. I can see AMD not having a PRO driver for this integrated (with Intel) GPU.

There are now too many mesa PPAs, but oibaf is one of the best, but some don't like the daily updates.

The Padoka PPA is another long running PPA that is updated less often, though it has been a month since the last update there.
                          If you are a gamer, there are some others, I believe one if not both are maintained by different Valve developers.:

https://launchpad.net/~ernstp/+archive/ubuntu/mesaaco

https://launchpad.net/~kisak/+archive/ubuntu/kisak-mesa

Using the first one, I did see a small but noticeable improvement in Rise of the Tomb Raider as well as Metro Exodus.
                          I have not used the second one since I upgraded to a much newer refurb PC, and 'downgraded' the RX 560 to an older but more powerful RX 480 gpu

The newest AMD cards, especially the super high end ones require a much newer kernel
                          Last edited by claydoh; Feb 26, 2020, 10:03 AM.

Comment

Comment

There'll be no kaboom as long as you avoid adding the following (unsupported) PPA:

pparoject-K9/ppa

and then installing the package: Illudium-Q-36ESM.deb

Warning: Just don't do it!
                              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                              X