Thread: Final Focal on Kubuntu 20.04

1. Back To Top    #61
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 4th 2020
    Local Time
    01:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowhog View Post
    What then is python-apt for, which is also at the same version?
    That is the python 2 version. Not much needs it any more, but there are a few things.

Code:
    $ reverse-depends python-apt
    Reverse-Recommends
    ==================
    * python-debian

Reverse-Depends
    ===============
    * python-apt-dbg
    * python-apt-dev
    * xdeb
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on irc.freenode.net - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

2. Back To Top    #62
    Kubuntu as Second Language NoWorries's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 4th 2020
    Local Time
    10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by acheron View Post
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install muon apt-xapian-index python3-apt=1.9.8
    Many thanks for that. It worked for me as well and after doing that, I got the message:
    Code:
    The following package was automatically installed and is no longer required:
    python3-xapian
    Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove it.
    The following packages will be REMOVED
    apt-xapian-index muon
    The following packages will be upgraded:
    python3-apt
    1 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 2 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
    Need to get 154 kB of archives.
    After this operation, 2,427 kB disk space will be freed.
    Do you want to continue? [Y/n]
    This message was no longer present after using Muon to disable proposed.

I will now have to remove synaptic which was my standby when Muon failed to install. Looks like I will have to stick with no proposed option until this problem is resolved in python3.

3. Back To Top    #63
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 4th 2020
    Local Time
    02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by acheron View Post
    DON'T USE THE PROPOSED POCKET. It exists as a QA barrier to protect the release pocket from such breakage, NOT as a way to get cool new things sooner!
    This can't be stressed enough, by using proposed repos you are testing things that don't need to be tested and reporting breakages that don't need to be reported. What you do with your machine is your business but reporting the issues you face and asking for help eats up other people's time as well, time that could be productively spent elsewhere.

4. Back To Top    #64
    Kubuntu as Second Language NoWorries's Avatar
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 4th 2020
    Local Time
    10:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kubicle View Post
    This can't be stressed enough, by using proposed repos you are testing things that don't need to be tested and reporting breakages that don't need to be reported. What you do with your machine is your business but reporting the issues you face and asking for help eats up other people's time as well, time that could be productively spent elsewhere.
    I did check to see if any bugs were reported using #muon : Depends: apt-xapian-index but it is not going to be installed but all bugs were old for example https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...ex/+bug/363695. and https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...dex/+bug/65583.

I am wondering if the developers were aware of the problem related to the installation of muon. I hope they are now aware of it.

From now on, as I have two systems with 20.04, I have one with proposed and the other without proposed. IF I find a problem with the proposed system, how should I go about notifying anyone of the problem?

5. Back To Top    #65
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 4th 2020
    Local Time
    07:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NoWorries View Post
    IF I find a problem with the proposed system, how should I go about notifying anyone of the problem?
    I think what kubicle and acheron are saying, is that no one (maybe pure developers?) should be using the proposed repository. Period. It exists for a specific use case, and people like us don't fall into that use case group. That's what I think.
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    Twin Cities Bicycling Club - "And miles to go before I sleep."

6. Back To Top    #66
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 4th 2020
    Local Time
    08:06 AM
    Sorry for stealing this thread but I know those on this chain can answer.

So, I have an 18.04 system that I want to migrate to 20.04. Best way? I'd like to help in the Beta Testing if at all possible.

Thanks!

7. Back To Top    #67
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 4th 2020
    Local Time
    Why not just get a daily build, install it to a separate partition, copy your /home to it (unless you already have it separate), see how you like it.

8. Back To Top    #68
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 4th 2020
    Local Time
    08:06 AM
    Homepage: Go to claydoh's homepage
    Quote Originally Posted by MoonRise View Post
    Sorry for stealing this thread but I know those on this chain can answer.

So, I have an 18.04 system that I want to migrate to 20.04. Best way? I'd like to help in the Beta Testing if at all possible.

Thanks!
    https://www.kubuntuforums.net/showth...r-Beta-testing

I don't think that upgrades are being tested just yet, though i think it will be soon, based on past history. Note that there are no upgrade testing scenarios listed on the Kubuntu page as of yet.

9. Back To Top    #69
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 4th 2020
    Local Time
    I usually just install it in the same place as the old distro.
    Only format the root partition, leave the content on the /home directory with he exception of the hidden files and hidden directories like .kde, .local, .config and .cache that should be deleted before installing. (So you keep things like .thunderbird, .pan, .mozilla and all the visible files and directories)

Obviously you want to have a recent back up in case the installation goes wrong.

But yes, as Don B. Cilly writes, providing you have enough disk space you would be better off installing on separate partitions to make a multi-boot system.

10. Back To Top    #70
    Threads
    Local Date
    Apr 4th 2020
    Local Time
    07:06 AM
    Mixing parts of your old install, even IF it is only your home account, is a good way to create an unstable or problem plagued installation. My recommendation is to do the hard work of backing up your important data, doing a clean install to bare metal, and then install from the repository all the apps you need or want BEFORE restoring config files and data from your home backup. Then, after you've confirmed that your installation is running the way you want, use a backup tool to make a backup, then install the apps you use which are not in Kubuntu's standard repositories. If you are using BTRFS then a simple snapshot of @ and @home will take 5 seconds, or for ext4, Timeshift will do the back honors but it will take several minutes.

IF you only used AppImages and all of your images were inside your home account, or, all your installed apps were installed inside your home account, then installing 20.04 and not deleting /home would make sense. As it is, most apps split their installation between root, /opt, /sbin, etc., and data and other certain files, like ~/.local or ~/.config, etc... which are installed inside the home account.

tldr; summary: clean installs are always the most trouble free. IMO.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast