Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had the same problem and I decided to replace my version of Kubuntu 19.10 with the latest download of 20.04. So on my Laptop I have two similar versions of Kubuntu 20.04 in separate partitions.

I found it interesting that this new installation did not result in the above reported error, even after installing the majority of packages.

I had an alternative reason for wanting to have another copy of 20.04 in a separate partition. I was wanting to try the Linux Kernel 5.6 and didn't want to damage my "standard" version of 20.04.

The approach that I have had success at installing Linux Kernel 5.6 can be found at http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/...tu-linux-mint/.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Linux_5.6.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	644640

All is working well and I will certainly let you know if I have any problems as Kernel 5.6 has had a good report from phoronix at: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...features&num=1

Comment

Well, I didn't feel like going back to my snapshot, so I was finally able to purge KMail via Muon... It would error through Discover and even through Terminal when trying to purge.

I did try to reinstall KMail afterward, but ran into the same error again, so I just purged it and ran the same commands you listed after a reboot. The error is gone when running updates. I never used KMail anyway, so not a big deal for me personally.

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
      While attempting to upgrade 236 packages I had a similar error:

I tried a few of the easy things:
      sudo apt install -f
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      sudo apt clean
      etc...
      but nothing worked.

So, after wasting 30 minutes trying to resolve the issue it just took 3 minutes to roll back to the snapshot I made before the update, which I am running in right now.

Comment

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source....12.3-0ubuntu2

Click image for larger version

Name:	1ca57b6aa3.png
Views:	1
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	644641
        On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Originally posted by acheron View Post
          So, you are telling us that the problem with libkpimsmtp5abi1 has been fixed? If so, how long with it take to arrive in the repository?

EDIT: Did the update. All is well in the garden!
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 15, 2020, 12:59 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@ NoWorries

Good to see you there!

For the given link (#106), Parent Directory brings you to the Ubuntu mainline Kernel Server. Click << Name >> to get the latest.

As you can see, the latest stable patch is 5.6.4. Kernel 5.5 shows 17 patches at 5.5.17. A kernel is dynamic up to [EOL].

You must upgrade the Kernel, it is your responsibility to get the latest security and/or bug fix.
            These Kernel's do not support secure boot. Keep it enabled requires an extra tweak in Mok Manager.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/4/13/358

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D

Take care,
            Last edited by Radcliff; Apr 15, 2020, 02:37 PM.

Comment

I would like to confirm whether Focal will be supported for the usual 3 years or it will be extended to 5 years as people on reddit suggested. :S
              Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
              Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
              Win / & 10 sadly
              Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides View Post
                I would like to confirm whether Focal will be supported for the usual 3 years or it will be extended to 5 years as people on reddit suggested. :S
                3 years only for Kubuntu.

Reddit link?
                On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Besides fixing the libsmtp5bai1 problem, the update also repaired the mailto functionality on my FF75 browser.
                  Everything is running SWEEEET!!!
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Reddit is a fine source for factual and accurate info, always Any links to this claim?

Anyway:

Code:
                    $ ubuntu-support-status Support status summary of 'kubuntu':

You have 1192 packages (62.3%) supported until April 2025 (Canonical - 5y)
                    You have 224 packages (11.7%) supported until April 2023[B] (Community - 3y)[/B]
                    You have 53 packages (2.8%) supported until April 2023 (Canonical - 3y)
                    I can't find any mention of Kubuntu doing a 5 year LTS, though as is the norm, the Ubuntu base itself has the 5 year support. So it is just the Plasma bits that have the three-year life span.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                      Reddit is a fine source for factual and accurate info, always Any links to this claim?
                      reddit: A bunch of opinions. not much facts there. I found this link though:
                      https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/com...ve_5_years_of/
                      Boot Info Script

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                        Which of course was debunked nearly immediately, edited by the OP., plus comment by moi
                        People must not read past headlines, perhaps?

Comment

Originally posted by verndog View Post
                          I have stickied my comment on that.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                            Which of course was debunked nearly immediately, edited by the OP., plus comment by moi
                            People must not read past headlines, perhaps?
                            Actually that's what I did, I read the headline, then thought it sounded weird and came here to see if acheron or anybody else would ever agree on that. As expected, nobody did.
                            Multibooting: Kubuntu Jammy 22.04
                            Before: Focal 20.04, Precise 12.04 Xenial 16.04 and Bionic 18.04
                            Win / & 10 sadly
                            Using Linux since June, 2008

Comment

Originally posted by kyonides View Post
                              Actually that's what I did, I read the headline, then thought it sounded weird and came here to see if acheron or anybody else would ever agree on that. As expected, nobody did.
                              But Acheron commented on that thread

Comment

But kyonides just read the headline
                                Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                                "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                                X