X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
    roflmao, maybe Sam, perhaps. More likely Pippin
    I have delayed commenting on this post just in case anyone else stepped up to respond.
    Your reference to Pippin, as I understand it, is someone who is to be admired.
    I have a suspicion that you are referring to me.

Am I correct

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
      I usually just install it in the same place as the old distro.
      Only format the root partition, leave the content on the /home directory with he exception of the hidden files and hidden directories like .kde, .local, .config and .cache that should be deleted before installing. (So you keep things like .thunderbird, .pan, .mozilla and all the visible files and directories)

Obviously you want to have a recent back up in case the installation goes wrong.

But yes, as Don B. Cilly writes, providing you have enough disk space you would be better off installing on separate partitions to make a multi-boot system.
      Actually just going to do fresh install on my root partition. Space? Maybe, but I'll do as I always I guess. Download ISO, burn, fresh install on root. Since this is 18.04 I guess I might want to rename .local and .kde. Wonder if I should on .cache and .config?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonRise View Post
        Actually just going to do fresh install on my root partition. Space? Maybe, but I'll do as I always I guess. Download ISO, burn, fresh install on root.
        Two labour and headache saving suggestions.
        1. If you use btrfs, and use the trick (renaming the @ and @home subvolumes) discussed over the years on this forum, you don't have to worry much about space, unless you install too much altogether; space is in a big shared pool.
        2. Burning to USB is an unnecessary waste of time; iso booting is more convenient and faster. No burn time, and the iso boots faster from a disc, and much faster from an SSD. If you're testing a pre-release iso, the time saved quickly adds up.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Haven't had a chance to play with btrfs. Someday when I have the free time. I hope. Had already created the USB boot, but really only took a few minutes.

So install went well. The only portion I thought was confusing was the warnings with not having a EFI partition which this setup does not have. Went ahead anyway and all boot well!

That's all I can say about 20.04 beta. So far so good. One application seems to have been dropped. I'll see if I can find a replacment for it. Yes, I do use it - Bombono.

Otherwise in under 1.5 hours have all back what I had. No issues. Even my personal customization scripts ran well and back to the look I had before I started.

Happy! 18.04 on this machine was getting old to me after having been using 19.10 on my other system.

Great Job DEVs!

Comment

https://kubuntu.org/news/kubuntu-foc...beta-released/
            On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

For some time now I have been wondering when Qt Version would be updated from 5.12.5. Well, on my Laptop with the proposed option selected, I was pleasantly surprised when QT Version 5.12.8 was installed.

So I expect with the normal repositories selected, it will be just a matter of days before 5.12.8 is installed. The announcement of its release can be found at https://kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.12.8.php.

I, like others, are looking forward to the release of Kubuntu 20.04 on the 23rd April.

To all the developers, keep up the great work which is appreciated by us all in this time of uncertainty!

Comment

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                For some time now I have been wondering when Qt Version would be updated from 5.12.5. Well, on my Laptop with the proposed option selected, I was pleasantly surprised when QT Version 5.12.8 was installed.

So I expect with the normal repositories selected, it will be just a matter of days before 5.12.8 is installed. The announcement of its release can be found at https://kde.org/announcements/plasma-5.12.8.php.
                Qt and plasma versions are separate and not linked together, for example Neon has plasma 5.18.4 and Qt 5.14.1 (plasma 5.12.8, which you linked to was released a year ago)
                Last edited by kubicle; Apr 12, 2020, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                  Qt and plasma versions are separate and not linked together, for example Neon has plasma 5.14.8 and Qt 5.14.1 (plasma 5.12.8, which you linked to was released a year ago)
                  Yes. QT 5.12.8 was released 4 days ago.

https://www.qt.io/blog/qt-5.12.8-released
                  On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

The future of QT might be KT:
                    https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...ssible-Qt-Fork

Comment

Originally posted by Teunis View Post
                      There's a huge debate on that topic, on the link. It covers too many possibilities. I don't think its that simple.
                      Boot Info Script

Comment

On more productive topic. 5.12.8 is now land(ing|ed) in release pocket.

Comment

121 updates this morning. Qt 5.12.8 here.
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200414_100550.png
Views:	1
Size:	61.3 KB
ID:	644636
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                            121 updates this morning. Qt 5.12.8 here.
                            [ATTACH=CONFIG]8739[/ATTACH]
                            Identical to mine except the hardware section.
                            Boot Info Script

Comment

I was installing the updates that popped up this evening and I ran into the following error. I rebooted to try to clear the system and rerun the update, but this one item seems to not want to update - any ideas?

frank@InfinityStone:~$ sudo apt full-upgrade
                              [sudo] password for frank:
                              Reading package lists... Done
                              Building dependency tree
                              Reading state information... Done
                              You might want to run 'apt --fix-broken install' to correct these.
                              The following packages have unmet dependencies:
                              libkf5mailtransport5abi2 : Depends: libkpimsmtp5abi1 but it is not installed
                              E: Unmet dependencies. Try 'apt --fix-broken install' with no packages (or specify a solution).
                              frank@InfinityStone:~$ sudo apt --fix-broken install
                              Reading package lists... Done
                              Building dependency tree
                              Reading state information... Done
                              Correcting dependencies... Done
                              The following packages were automatically installed and are no longer required:
                              libkpimitinerary-data libkpimitinerary5 libkpimpkpass5 libphonenumber7 libprotobuf17 libzxingcore1
                              Use 'sudo apt autoremove' to remove them.
                              The following additional packages will be installed:
                              libkpimsmtp5abi1
                              The following NEW packages will be installed:
                              libkpimsmtp5abi1
                              0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
                              146 not fully installed or removed.
                              Need to get 0 B/47.1 kB of archives.
                              After this operation, 290 kB of additional disk space will be used.
                              Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
                              (Reading database ... 492703 files and directories currently installed.)
                              Preparing to unpack .../libkpimsmtp5abi1_19.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
                              Unpacking libkpimsmtp5abi1:amd64 (19.12.3-0ubuntu1) ...
                              dpkg: error processing archive /var/cache/apt/archives/libkpimsmtp5abi1_19.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
                              trying to overwrite '/usr/share/locale/ar/LC_MESSAGES/libksmtp5.mo', which is also in package libkpimsmtp5:amd64 19.04.3-0ubuntu2
                              Errors were encountered while processing:
                              /var/cache/apt/archives/libkpimsmtp5abi1_19.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
                              E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
                              frank@InfinityStone:~$

Comment

While attempting to upgrade 236 packages I had a similar error:
                                Selecting previously unselected package libkpimsmtp5abi1:amd64.
                                Preparing to unpack .../02-libkpimsmtp5abi1_19.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
                                Unpacking libkpimsmtp5abi1:amd64 (19.12.3-0ubuntu1) ...
                                dpkg: error processing archive /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-4gPfK8/02-libkpimsmtp5abi1_19.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb (--unpack):
                                trying to overwrite '/usr/share/locale/ar/LC_MESSAGES/libksmtp5.mo', which is also in package libkpimsmtp5:amd64 19.04.3-0ubuntu2
                                Selecting previously unselected package libkf5eventviews5abi1:amd64.
                                Preparing to unpack .../10-libkf5eventviews5abi1_4%3a19.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb ...
                                Unpacking libkf5eventviews5abi1:amd64 (4:19.12.3-0ubuntu1) ...
                                Errors were encountered while processing:
                                /tmp/apt-dpkg-install-4gPfK8/02-libkpimsmtp5abi1_19.12.3-0ubuntu1_amd64.deb
                                E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)

jerry@Aspire-V3-771:~$
                                I tried a few of the easy things:
                                sudo apt install -f
                                sudo dpkg --configure -a
                                sudo apt clean
                                etc...
                                but nothing worked.

So, after wasting 30 minutes trying to resolve the issue it just took 3 minutes to roll back to the snapshot I made before the update, which I am running in right now.
                                Last edited by GreyGeek; Apr 14, 2020, 09:27 PM.
                                "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                                – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                                X