Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new upload with a 'fix' is on the way...

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source...00109-0ubuntu7
    On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Not even 24 hours. Ya gotta love this!
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Yep! Looking forward to the end of April ...
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Finally!

Qt4 has now been removed from the 20.04 archive.
          On #kubuntu-devel & #kubuntu on libera.chat - IRC Nick: RikMills - Launchpad ID: click

Comment

Synaptic History

There was 168 packages to upgrade in Proposed for yesterday's build (18 today). A blue message was shown to stop some services while upgrading. Since at least a week, the installer scans the HD for NVDIA... We must press S twice to skip HD scan.

-History is empty in Synaptic
            -Muon works normally
            -Encrypted successfully message does not display correctly
            -At boot, the message to remove media appears intermittently.
            -Taskbar issues are gone
            -Driver Manager requires root password now and scans normally

Code:
            Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
            KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.2
            KDE Frameworks Version: 5.67.0
            Qt Version: 5.12.5
            Kernel Version: 5.6.0-050600rc5-generic

Comment

Ryzen 2700u 20200308

Dolphin does not read Tumbleweed bootable stick, same for Device Notifier on the taskbar. The rest is OK = fat32, Windows, Mint.

The remove media message interferes with the LVM passphrase, both are shown rapidly back to back. This is a one shot message that is not removed from the boot sequence. When not encrypted (ext4 or btrf), the message appears permanently at boot time since day one.

Comment

sigh...

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...c/+bug/1866844

Comment

It must not affect everybody. I just did a full update-upgrade and I encountered no errors.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

It is probably only people who did an upgrade last Sunday, and got a bad package before it was pulled.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      It must not affect everybody. I just did a full update-upgrade and I encountered no errors.
                      I checked this morning, and I was already on a version of libc6 'after' that that was affecting the affected.
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Same here, no problems BUT I did a fresh install on the 8th. because of multiple problems including the initramfs one.
                        Presently all is working very well, including some proprietary software like Nvidia, Vuescan, a Xerox printer and Softmaker Office.

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
                          Code:
                          Operating System: Kubuntu 20.04
                          KDE Plasma Version: 5.18.2
                          KDE Frameworks Version: 5.67.0
                          Qt Version: 5.12.5
                          Kernel Version: 5.6.0-050600rc5-generic
                          While I have no problems with the first 3 Versions listed above, I find it problematic that you have Kernel Version: 5.6.0. I have not found any canonical ppa with Kernel 5.6.0. So I assume that you have built and install it in your version of Kubuntu 20.04.

So while Kernel 5.6.0 has many very desirable improvements, I would be very wary of any instability in your installation with this Kernel.

Comment

I keep getting a message that this thread has been moved. I am not sure where it is going but I can still post problems that I am having. I just hope that a solution can be found

On both of my systems with 20.04, I keep getting the error with initramfs-tools. I realize that this has been fixed, but I still get this error message after each update.

Code:
                            0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 0 not to upgrade.
                            1 not fully installed or removed.
                            After this operation, 0 B of additional disk space will be used.
                            Do you want to continue? [Y/n] y
                            Setting up initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu1) ...
                            update-initramfs: deferring update (trigger activated)
                            Processing triggers for initramfs-tools (0.136ubuntu1) ...
                            update-initramfs: Generating /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-17-generic
                            ln: failed to create symbolic link '/var/tmp/mkinitramfs_Sfnqs4//usr/share/plymouth/themes/default.plymouth': File exists
                            E: /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/plymouth.orig failed with return 1.
                            update-initramfs: failed for /boot/initrd.img-5.4.0-17-generic with 1.
                            dpkg: error processing package initramfs-tools (--configure):
                            installed initramfs-tools package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
                            Errors were encountered while processing:
                            initramfs-tools
                            E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
                            I hope a solution can be found to this problem, as it is annoying to see it still happening after the "fix".

Comment

Kernel PPA

Originally posted by NoWorries View Post
                              While I have no problems with the first 3 Versions listed above, I find it problematic that you have Kernel Version: 5.6.0. I have not found any canonical ppa with Kernel 5.6.0. So I assume that you have built and install it in your version of Kubuntu 20.04.

So while Kernel 5.6.0 has many very desirable improvements, I would be very wary of any instability in your installation with this Kernel.
                              There is one available every Sunday night on the East Coast. Kernel PPA:

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D

You need to download 4 packages:

linux-headers-5.6.0-050600rc5_5.6.0-050600rc5.202003082130_all.deb
                              linux-headers-5.6.0-050600rc5-generic_5.6.0-050600rc5.202003082130_amd64.deb
                              linux-image-unsigned-5.6.0-050600rc5-generic_5.6.0-050600rc5.202003082130_amd64.deb
                              linux-modules-5.6.0-050600rc5-generic_5.6.0-050600rc5.202003082130_amd64.deb

Complite them that way, just make sure there are no other .deb files in the Downloads folder:

Code:
                              cd //home/yourusername/Downloads
                              Code:
                              sudo dpkg -i *.deb
                              They have nothing to do with problems that I've been reporting, simply because they're also in stock Kernel. This week, they are not available for the given reason 5.6-rc6.

The bug with messages is gone for a week, same for the Tumbleweed flash drive. Only Synaptic issue remains: It records internal stuff, but not incoming updates.

Lastly, mainline Kernel is not unstable here, corrections via telemetry are applied on next Sunday. We Just see it as a supplementary source of excitement.

https://lkml.org/

Edit:

You must boot in the Grub menu when enabling the mainline Kernel channel. Grub must be set that way when not dual boot:

Code:
                              GRUB_DEFAULT=0
                              GRUB_TIMEOUT_STYLE=false
                              GRUB_TIMEOUT=7
                              GRUB_DISTRIBUTOR=`lsb_release -i -s 2> /dev/null || echo Debian`
                              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash"
                              GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX=""
                              Last edited by Radcliff; Mar 29, 2020, 02:20 PM.

Comment

It is now the final month to the release of Focal.

I am continuing to find this to be a very stable distribution.

Dolphin continues to not show "Removable Devices" when launched on my system. I have to right mouse click in the left panel "Places" and select "Show Hidden Places" each time I want Dolphin to remove an attached device.

With my Pre-release updates selected, I get the current status of Info Centre versions shown in this table.

2 Months to go 1 Month to go
                                KDE Plasma Version 5.18.1 5.18.3
                                KDE Frameworks Version 5.67.0 5.67.0
                                QT Version 5.12.5 5.12.5
                                Kernel Version 5.4.0-15-generic 5.4.0-18-generic
                                I am very pleased with the steady advancement of the Focal LTS. It will be interesting to see if the Kernel Version 5.6.0, used by Radcliff above, becomes available in a Canonical ppa.

Comment

Working...
                                X