This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by verndog View Post
    reddit: A bunch of opinions. not much facts there. I found this link though:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Kubuntu/com...ve_5_years_of/
    Well, one has to sift (as with so many sites)!

Two links I came across today (unrelated to the 5yr topic):
    https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...a_for_help_in/
    https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...for_beginners/
    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
      @ NoWorries

Good to see you there!

For the given link (#106), Parent Directory brings you to the Ubuntu mainline Kernel Server. Click << Name >> to get the latest.

As you can see, the latest stable patch is 5.6.4. Kernel 5.5 shows 17 patches at 5.5.17. A kernel is dynamic up to [EOL].

You must upgrade the Kernel, it is your responsibility to get the latest security and/or bug fix.
      These Kernel's do not support secure boot. Keep it enabled requires an extra tweak in Mok Manager.

https://lkml.org/lkml/2020/4/13/358

https://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/?C=N;O=D

Take care,
      Thanks for the link to the latest 5.6.4 kernel. I have found that when I install these alternative kernel versions they do not get listed in muon, because they do not come from a repository.

I have also found that in order to tidy up my system I had use line commands like
      Code:
      apt-cache pkgnames linux-modules-5.6.0
      followed by apt to remove the package that was no longer required.

In my initial selection I included the lowlatency version which I found gave poor performance with glmark2. Hence they go removed. I also needed to clear out the 5.4 kernel versions so that they did not get in the way.

I eventually got my system tidied up and the end result is shown below.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Linux_5.6.4.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.9 KB
ID:	644644

I am very pleased with the performance with this kernel and I have used grub-customizer to provide the options for which system to boot.

Comment

Is the 5.6 kernel going to be part of 20.04 or is it the 5.4 kernel? Seems like there are a number of good things for laptops in 5.6.

Comment

Originally posted by jwrober View Post
          Is the 5.6 kernel going to be part of 20.04 or is it the 5.4 kernel? Seems like there are a number of good things for laptops in 5.6.
          Kubuntu 20.04 LTS is due to be released on April 23, 2020, succeeding Kubuntu 19.10 as the latest stable release.
          Kubuntu 20.04 Release Date
          • Testing week: January 9, 2020.
          • UI Freeze: March 19, 2020.
          • Kubuntu 20.04 Beta: April 2, 2020.
          • Kernel Freeze: April 9, 2020.
          • Release Candidate: April 16, 2020.

So Kubuntu 20.04 is currently at the Release Candidate stage and all updates are related to fixes to current packages rather than introducing new versions.

I would expect that Linux kernel updates will occur during the life of 20.04, but not in the initial release on the 23rd April. So it will be a case of waiting patiently for these updates if you want to stay with the provided packages. I have a tendency to try non-recommended sources that do entail a degree of risk, which I mitigate by having another sacrificial Laptop, with the same version but some different sources.

Comment

20200420 ISO Alongside Win Ten

GG or 20.10 is next door, there's only 12 basic packages left in Proposed.

Kernel 5.4 is an LTS Kernel, it will be in Focal up to 20.04.1. It is important to keep the latest one minimum, it contains Focal's architecture.
            Code:
            ls /lib/modules
            5.4.0-26-generic  5.7.0-050700rc2-generic
            This ends the cycle perfectly:
            Code:
            =======================================================
                                         glmark2 Score: 2987 

uname -a
            Linux fossa 5.7.0-050700rc2-generic #202004192230 SMP Sun Apr 19 22:34:20 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
            mokutil  --sb
            SecureBoot enabled
            Take care,
            Last edited by Radcliff; Apr 21, 2020, 02:50 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Radcliff View Post
              GG or 20.10 is next door, there's only 12 basic packages left in Proposed.

Kernel 5.4 is an LTS Kernel, it will be in Focal up to 20.04.1. It is important to keep the latest one minimum, it contains Focal's architecture.
              Code:
              ls /lib/modules
              5.4.0-26-generic  5.7.0-050700rc2-generic
              This ends the cycle perfectly:
              Code:
                                         glmark2 Score: 2987 

uname -a
              Linux fossa 5.7.0-050700rc2-generic #202004192230 SMP Sun Apr 19 22:34:20 UTC 2020 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
              mokutil  --sb
              SecureBoot enabled
              Take care,
              I noticed 5.7 RC2 being available however, I also noticed that for 5.6, there were 7 RC's before 5.6.1 was released. For this reason I have been hesitant to use it.

I finally decided to install it on my "sacrificial" laptop which has an NVIDIA card in it. I found that with the HDMI connection, it did not recognize the external monitor and the NVIDIA driver did not work as well. I tried the VGA connection and the external monitor was connected but the NVIDIA driver still did not work correctly.

This experience conformed my suspicion that the 7.5 kernel is still in the very early stages of development and I will not consider it until it gets to 7.5.1.

Comment

Working...
              X