This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux won't die in 2038

The NEW End of Time date for Linux will be Dec 4, 29,227,702,659. That's right, 29 billion years in the future. Somehow, I don't think Linux as we know it will be around then, and, neither will we!

I'd be happy to make it to 2038, as long as my mind is reasonably cognitive of what is going on. I"d be 97 by then, but I'm already showing peripheral cyanosis in both feet, so it doesn't look like my left ventricle will make it. Bummer. It's not impossible though. My wife and I are going to visit a friend of her's tomorrow who is 98 and that lady's mind is as sharp as a razor.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Well, in 5 billion years our Sun will expand to become a red giant, and IF humanity is still around, they'll be toast; literally. So, pretty sure the End Date for Linux will occur will before the 29 billion years cited. Just say'n.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I wonder why this has sparked your attention now. I remember working to fix a problem caused by the change of time_t to 64 bits in the 90s. Red Hat was the OS.
      Regards, John Little

Comment

Good description of the 2038 problem here. It's a 32 bit problem, but there are a few mitigating "yeah, buts". hope there are a few mitigaters available for you, too, GG
        The next brick house on the left
        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

So, another "Y2K" issue. That one turned out to be a bust, so....
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X