Kubuntu is finally my main OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kubuntu is finally my main OS

After years of infrequent dabbling in Linux, And a large pile of Kubuntu Live Cd's and Dvd's. I noticed a blog stating that there was a new Linux Steam version, About a year after it's release i might add. So i decided that since it's winter, And am bored, I will try several Linux distro's and see if any of them suit me.
    This turned out to be the top ten distro's meant for Linux gaming. And I kept finding distro's with broken functions, Or just a pain in the butt to use.
    At the very end of my list was Kubuntu, Because i wanted to give the other ones a fair shake - Not including Ubuntu, Because i hate gnome.
    So installation went very fast, And everything worked, Other than windows networking of course, Because Microcrap firewalled it.
    Desktop alterations were very quick and easy. And i managed to find everything in the system settings, Except task scheduler, Which i had to add manually. Oh and a sound normalizer.
    Then the big final test... Steam. Natively supported games ran right away, No matter which drive I ran them from. However non native supported games such as doom would close on launch.
    Two days of setting up permissions, And using different drive formats on a second drive proved useless. And in the end i just dumped Doom into my Linux/steam folder, As a last ditch attempt, And it works!

Holy crap, I can't believe it. And with a twenty percent performance increase over Win 10. So evidently steams support for non native games has some kind of problem accessing external, Or extra drives.
    But that problem in no way influences my opinion of Kubuntu. In fact, If my system were going to crash, It would have done it during that nightmare.
    Overall, After everything I did this past week. I still have to say that Kubuntu is my favorite Linux distro. And I am very happy with version 19.10.
    So the final test was to install it on all of my systems, Fully replacing Win 10. And it runs flawlessly. I even have a computer in my workshop running Kubuntu, I found replacements for the netflix client - electronplayer. And stremio to replace those windows store apps that let you watch movies. And a lot more.
    So it's finally happened in 2020.

Windows 10 Spyware is finally gone. All of my games run great. And the only computer left is my wifes, And she's starting to see a huge performance difference between her computer and mine. So it won't be long before she finally learns to use Kubuntu.
    Great job creating a solid distro guys, Even plasma is running great, Which was a deal breaker when it first came out.
    Anyway, I am happy at last. Thank you.

Great feeling, isn't it!

I switched to Kubuntu with the 9.04 Alpha release and I've never been disappointed by it.
    When I installed 16.04 I made BTRFS my root file system and I've never been disappointed by it, either.
    I am currently running 20.04 and all my steam apps run, so does a Windows PCL GUI dev tool called IQAN, from Parker, and so does the Windows EKG analysis tool I use to analyze my wife's EKGs.

I also use adb (Android Debugger tool kit) to communicate to my unlocked Android phone.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Hi, first post to Kubuntu forums for me.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my current distro (Linux Mint Cinnamon), I have tried Kubuntu as a live usb stick. Certainly a very flexible desktop environment compared to Cinnamon. I want to display a certain window, without any decorations and borderless? Very easily done in KDE plasma. So hopefully once I get some spare time I'll convert my machines from Linux Mint, to Kubuntu (probably 19.10, then upgrade to 20.04 when it's released).

Comment

Originally posted by brianinnes View Post
        Hi, first post to Kubuntu forums for me.

I'm getting increasingly frustrated with my current distro (Linux Mint Cinnamon), I have tried Kubuntu as a live usb stick. Certainly a very flexible desktop environment compared to Cinnamon. I want to display a certain window, without any decorations and borderless? Very easily done in KDE plasma. So hopefully once I get some spare time I'll convert my machines from Linux Mint, to Kubuntu (probably 19.10, then upgrade to 20.04 when it's released).
        Lol, I still haven't got around to converting from Linux Mint Cinnamon to Kubuntu. I'm not sure if it's due to lack of familiarity with KDE compared to Cinnamon. Not sure whether to just hold off until Kubuntu 20.04 is released in a few weeks time...

Comment

Originally posted by brianinnes View Post
          Lol, I still haven't got around to converting from Linux Mint Cinnamon to Kubuntu. I'm not sure if it's due to lack of familiarity with KDE compared to Cinnamon. Not sure whether to just hold off until Kubuntu 20.04 is released in a few weeks time...
          My limited experience with Cinnamon is very reminiscent of Gnome 2 where you can't change much without being a programmer. Plasma is much MUCH more geared toward someone who likes to tinker and create a unique environment. Of course this means much more of the DE is exposed to the user so there's more opportunity to mess things up.

IMO, Mint Cinnamon is almost perfect for a user new to Linux. It;s possible you've just out grown the need for training wheels.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
            My limited experience with Cinnamon is very reminiscent of Gnome 2 where you can't change much without being a programmer. Plasma is much MUCH more geared toward someone who likes to tinker and create a unique environment. Of course this means much more of the DE is exposed to the user so there's more opportunity to mess things up.

IMO, Mint Cinnamon is almost perfect for a user new to Linux. It;s possible you've just out grown the need for training wheels.
            Plus I suppose it means Plasma you can more easily tweak to fit your needs better. :-)

Comment

IMO, you'd be wise to hold off until 20.04 goes GOLD. Meanwhile, you could create a Kubuntu Live USB stick with 20.04 and play with it to become familiar.
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek!

Anyway, I've installed Kubuntu 19.10 onto my main desktop. I'm quite enjoying it, so I'm looking forward to Kubuntu 20.04 coming out soon! I'll probably do a clean install of this, such is the benefit of having a separate /home partition :-)

Comment

Hi
                  interesting thread!

Welcome aboard to both of you! Don't be strangers!

and I learned about electronplayer although it is not in the repos for NEON. Not that I use Netflix but I thought I would check.

woodsmoke
                  sigpic
                  Love Thy Neighbor Baby!

Comment

Originally posted by woodsmoke View Post
                    Hi
                    interesting thread!

Welcome aboard to both of you! Don't be strangers!

and I learned about electronplayer although it is not in the repos for NEON. Not that I use Netflix but I thought I would check.

woodsmoke
                    Thanks! electronplayer sounds interesting. I'll certainly install that once I convert my old pc which I use as an HTPC over to Kubuntu from Mint Cinnamon.

Comment

Welcome to the dark side (sorry could not resist) ;-)
                      Don't hesitate to knock on our door if you need help.

I switched to Kubuntu years ago, when MS Vista came out.
                      Now I am using KDE Neon as it is built on the stable long term Kubuntu base, but it always offers the most recent KDE version on top of that.
                      I dual boot with windows, to be able to use the odd windows based sw that does not run on linux, like a firmware updater for an electronic musical instrument.
                      So Once a year or so, when there is a firmware update for my synthesiser, I fire up windows, and each time I am annoyed about the time consuming update process.
                      When buying a new PC, I buy a windows PC because they are cheaper than linux only PCs, and because in this way I still have windows around when needed once a year.
                      Last edited by mbohets; Apr 04, 2020, 11:40 AM.
                      Je suis Charlie, how many more people have to die for religions
                      linux user #447706 on https://linuxcounter.net
                      A good place to start:
                      Topic: Top 20 Kubuntu FAQs & Answers

Comment

KDEConnect! What can I say but an excellent bit of software. A lot easier to transfer images from my Motorola mobile phones (G3 and G8) using KDEConnect on Kubuntu, rather than trying (and failing) to access data / files on the phone via MTP across USB on Linux Mint!

Comment

Working...
                        X