Booting time/Congrats Kubuntu

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booting time/Congrats Kubuntu

I just timed the boot from where it says "Loading OS." to steam and firefox being up. SSD + abt 28 seconds!

Fantastic work team Kubuntu. Of course, not everyone has an SSD like I do. Read=650 ms, Write = 670 ms.
    Last edited by steve7233; Feb 10, 2020, 05:18 PM.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Looks like the snoopy emote doesn't work.

Sent from my LM-Q610(FGN) using Tapatalk

(Dancing Snoopy added by Snowhog)

Works for me.
    Last edited by Snowhog; Feb 10, 2020, 05:05 PM.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

Comment

pfff

Why so long?? I think my ex-laptop took about 10 seconds from hitting the power button to loading the desktop, including any applications open in the last session.

Have not checked my new-to-me PC that replaced it; it has a slow loading bios.

Code:
       sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/nvme0n1p2

/dev/nvme0n1p2:
       Timing cached reads:   31472 MB in  1.99 seconds = 15848.62 MB/sec
       Timing buffered disk reads: 2762 MB in  3.00 seconds = 920.47 MB/sec
      Cant quickly recall which benchmark or test is best for nvme ssds

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
        pfff

Why so long?? I think my ex-laptop took about 10 seconds from hitting the power button to loading the desktop, including any applications open in the last session.

Have not checked my new-to-me PC that replaced it; it has a slow loading bios.

Code:
         sudo hdparm -Tt /dev/nvme0n1p2

/dev/nvme0n1p2:
        Timing cached reads:   31472 MB in  1.99 seconds = 15848.62 MB/sec
        Timing buffered disk reads: 2762 MB in  3.00 seconds = 920.47 MB/sec
        Cant quickly recall which benchmark or test is best for nvme ssds
        Mabey something needs configuring. There is a delay after pressing the power button and another delay getting Grub II to work. It might be something hardware related.
        Last edited by steve7233; Feb 10, 2020, 05:15 PM.

Comment

naw, already looked at that,but not thoroughly, though I had not shortened the default 10 second grub timeout for the windows drive I never boot to. It is probably partly due to looking for network booting.
          I seldom reboot, so hardly notice anyway.
          My last HP was similar, taking even longer to get to grub than this one does. No biggie. Still takes far less than 30 seconds.

Comment

I just tried editing my first post and deleting the snoopy code and then re-adding it. It still doesn't work which is weird since it works for Snowhog.

Comment

Originally posted by steve7233 View Post
              Mabey something needs configuring. There is a delay after pressing the power button and another delay getting Grub II to work. It might be something hardware related.
              Try

systemd-analyze blame

to see what is taking most of your boot up time.

For me, apparmor reporting took almost 40 seconds to load, I edited its unit and set it to run in the background about a minute after boot up was complete.

My current "systemd-analyze"

$ systemd-analyze
              Startup finished in 3.412s (kernel) + 8.157s (userspace) = 11.569s
              graphical.target reached after 8.147s in userspace
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Boo hoo.
                On an SSD and all, I get

~$ systemd-analyze
                Startup finished in 7.697s (firmware) + 11.316s (loader) + 6.191s (kernel) + 11.557s (userspace) = 36.761s
                graphical.target reached after 11.532s in userspace

Of course, most of the blame is on 7.045s NetworkManager-wait-online.service

Oh well. Still, even though it's nothing to dance about, in the interest of general knowledge, I'll try the annoying-snoopy thing, shall I.

Comment

Nothing is as annoying as that wandering fly on the screen.
                  "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
                  Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                    Boo hoo.
                    On an SSD and all, I get

~$ systemd-analyze
                    Startup finished in 7.697s (firmware) + 11.316s (loader) + 6.191s (kernel) + 11.557s (userspace) = 36.761s
                    graphical.target reached after 11.532s in userspace

What is "firmware" and "loader", which are taking 18 seconds of your boot up time?
                    Can you turn them, and POST, off?
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      What is "firmware" and "loader", which are taking 18 seconds of your boot up time?
                      Good question. What are they?

Can you turn them, and POST, off?
                      Even better question. Can I?

[AH] There you go: my 20 top "blames".

Code:
                      ~$ blm
                              7.085s NetworkManager-wait-online.service
                              2.687s dev-sdc2.device
                               989ms udisks2.service
                               821ms mysql.service
                               507ms accounts-daemon.service
                               504ms ModemManager.service
                               500ms systemd-journal-flush.service
                               492ms dev-disk-by\x2duuid-c988060d\x2dc444\x2d430e\x2db5cd\x2d4ea65aa54446.swap
                               490ms upower.service
                               457ms systemd-udev-trigger.service
                               436ms hcron.service
                               419ms lvm2-monitor.service
                               399ms grub-common.service
                               332ms thermald.service
                               316ms pppd-dns.service
                               311ms networkd-dispatcher.service
                               274ms NetworkManager.service
                               268ms keyboard-setup.service
                               260ms systemd-logind.service
                               251ms systemd-journald.service
                      (blm is an alias for systemd-analyze blame | head -n 20)
                      Last edited by Don B. Cilly; Feb 11, 2020, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Good question. What are they?
                        If you boot via UEFI and use a boot loader which implements systemd's Boot Loader Interface (which currently systemd-boot and GRUB do), systemd-analyze can additionally show you how much time was spent in the EFI firmware and the boot loader itself.
                        (Note that system initialization and boot loader take their time even if you boot with legacy BIOS, it's just that systemd-analyze can't report them separately)

Even better question. Can I?
                        Not really, but it is sometimes possible to shorten the duration via configuration, like turning of extended POST checks in EFI firmware etc.
                        Last edited by kubicle; Feb 12, 2020, 12:29 AM.

Comment

I boot via UEFI and have rEFInd as boot manager.
                          Now, turning off extended POST checks in EFI firmware etc... if I groogle that... hrumph. Any hints and tips from a serious forum? ;·)

Mind you, I'm perfectly happy with my boot times - the ones on the SSD. And I realise GG's may not be "telling the whole story".
                          Still, nothing wrong with optimising where possible, is there. And it's of general interest anyway... I guess :·)

Comment

I boot via UEFI and have rEFInd as boot manager.
                            Now, turning off extended POST checks in EFI firmware etc... if I groogle that... hrumph. Any hints and tips from a serious forum? ;·)

Mind you, I'm perfectly happy with my boot times - the ones on the SSD. And I realise GG's may not be "telling the whole story".
                            Still, nothing wrong with optimising where possible, is there. And it's of general interest anyway... I guess :·)
                            To see what power-on-self-test configuration(s) are available on your system, you have to boot into into the UEFI setup, commonly done by pressing a key (like F2, but can be something else on different systems) during boot...you can also boot into efi by choosing "system setup" in the grub menu (I don't know how refind handles that).

I'm not suggesting you should change the efi settings, especially if you are happy with the boot times, POST checks can give you valuable information on hardware failures etc.

And while I personally think that there is no such thing as "excessive optimizing", boot times are fairly meaningless to me (I commonly boot only after kernel upgrades)
                            Last edited by kubicle; Feb 12, 2020, 02:35 AM.

Comment

So, my BIOS takes some 8 seconds to load. I'll keep the POST checks.
                              rEFInd some 11 - of which 10 are waiting for a choice. I can optimise that, make the timeout 2.

I do reboot "a lot" - at least two to sometimes even ten or more times a day. It's a desktop rig.
                              From pressing the power button to have a usable desktop - like really usable, for anything, unlike some OSs we know ;·) - it takes some 40 seconds altogether... not anything I'd worry about.
                              It's a fairly old (2014) rig too.

Comment

Working...
                              X