Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oops.. did the above from Ubuntu Studio 19.10..
    Logged into Kubuntu and did it again, must mention that my mouse (in Kubuntu) has now slowed down a bit, not enough for me but definately noticeable. Is it possible that the mouse settings work after a reboot?
    steve@Z170X:~$ xinput list-props 9
    Device 'Microsoft Microsoft® Classic IntelliMouse®':
    Device Enabled (155): 1
    Coordinate Transformation Matrix (157): 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 0.000000, 1.000000
    libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled (291): 0
    libinput Natural Scrolling Enabled Default (292): 0
    libinput Scroll Methods Available (293): 0, 0, 1
    libinput Scroll Method Enabled (294): 0, 0, 0
    libinput Scroll Method Enabled Default (295): 0, 0, 0
    libinput Button Scrolling Button (296): 2
    libinput Button Scrolling Button Default (297): 2
    libinput Middle Emulation Enabled (298): 0
    libinput Middle Emulation Enabled Default (299): 0
    libinput Accel Speed (300): 0.000000
    libinput Accel Speed Default (301): 0.000000
    libinput Accel Profiles Available (302): 1, 1
    libinput Accel Profile Enabled (303): 0, 1
    libinput Accel Profile Enabled Default (304): 1, 0
    libinput Left Handed Enabled (305): 0
    libinput Left Handed Enabled Default (306): 0
    libinput Send Events Modes Available (276): 1, 0
    libinput Send Events Mode Enabled (277): 0, 0
    libinput Send Events Mode Enabled Default (278): 0, 0
    Device Node (279): "/dev/input/event4"
    Device Product ID (280): 1118, 2083
    libinput Drag Lock Buttons (307): <no items>
    libinput Horizontal Scroll Enabled (308): 1

Comment

Ok...so the mouse is actually using the libinput driver (but your kde version seems to only have the evdev settings module, which probably explains why the settings don't do much).

Can you slow down the mouse cursor by running?:
      Code:
      xinput set-prop 9 "libinput Accel Speed" -0.8
      You can try different values, it's a floating number between -1 (slow) and 1 (fast) to find what works best (this is just for testing purposes, the setting doesn't survive a reboot, we'll get to that if you find a setting you're satisfied with)

Comment

Yeeeeeeeeesssss...!!!!!
        Well done..!!!
        Mouse is moving smooth and slow.. perhaps a smidge too slow, -0.7 is pefect..
        I get to keep Kubuntu for the first time.. Thank you so much kubicle, really appreciate that..
        Last edited by fasteddy; Feb 10, 2020, 05:57 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddy View Post
          Yeeeeeeeeesssss...!!!!!
          Well done..!!!
          Mouse is moving smooth and slow.. perhaps a smidge too slow, -0.7 is pefect..
          I get to keep Kubuntu for the first time.. Thank you so much kubicle, really appreciate that..
          Like I mentioned in the previous post, the command only affects the current session (the settings revert to the default if you reboot, for example)...so you either have to run the command every session, or find a way to make the setting "permanent". There are a few ways to accomplish this, like creating your own xorg config file in /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mymousespeed.conf or make a script for the command and run that automatically at kde start (systemsettings>startupandshutdown>autostart).

Note that for autoscripts, it might be better to use the full name rather than the id number (as this is not guaranteed to always remain the same), as in
          Code:
          #!/bin/sh
          xinput set-prop "Microsoft Microsoft® Classic IntelliMouse®" "libinput Accel Speed" -0.7
          We can provide details if you need them, but the information should also be available on the internet.

Comment

Got a bit carried away when I ran that command, was finally able to use my Kubuntu properly, my LibreCad is so easy to use now I even marked this thread as 'solved'.. But you are right, I have to make that command happen every time I boot up although it is not something I know how to do at the moment, but it is something I would like to know how to do, both of the ways you suggest would be handy things to be able to do.

Am busy cooking for my kids right now, will have a go and do some research on this later this evening.. Will let you know how I get on..

Comment

(Like kubicle says) running a command at boot is really easy. System Settings > Startup and Shutdown > Autostart.

Comment

And if you wish to go the xorg.conf.d route, here is an example config file you can test:
                /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/90-mymousespeed.conf:
                Code:
                # Mouse Speed settings
                Section "InputClass"
                       Identifier "Adjust Microsoft Mouse Speed"
                       MatchProduct "Microsoft Microsoft® Classic IntelliMouse®"
                       Driver "libinput"
                       Option "AccelSpeed" "-0.7"
                EndSection

Comment

Originally posted by fasteddy View Post
                  .. Needed Kubuntu 18.04 for some software which is only supported until that version.
                  BTW, I've had no trouble running third party software for 18.04 in 18.10, 19.04, and 19.10. YMMV, of course. Is it possible and convenient to tell us the applications?
                  Regards, John Little

Comment

Quick thank you for the support from you guys, in the end I created a script file from kubicle's line of code, then added it to the start up through system settings. Works every time and has now allowed me to use Kubuntu properly.

jlittle, my kids bought a game (quite expensive) that only has support up to Ubuntu 18, I could happily live without it but my kids apparently wont.. All software I use is fine with later versions, but that was not the issue as it turned out to be a simple fix to get me going. Am not someone who leaps at the latest version of things and happily embrace stability over innovation. My system seems very stable, fast, and all my software works well and the kids are happy.. result..!

Comment

Working...
                    X