This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Display degredation after latest update today, 6 February 2020

After updating two instances of 32 bit Kubuntu 18.04, display resolution has degraded on both systems. Both machines are equipped with the same model nVidia Geforce GTX 1050 Ti cards and have the latest nVidia drivers compatible with 18.04 (nVidia 390 driver). Both systems share a 1920x1080 monitor, were configured accordingly and were working fine at 1920x1080 before today's update. Since then, both have defaulted to 1024x768, and the nVidia x server settings app doesn't appear to be seeing the cards. I've tried reinstalling the drivers, to no avail. Reverting to the nouveau driver did not help, either. I can only guess that an incompatiblity between the nVidia drivers and/or cards and one or more of the updated files has been introduced. What can I do to narrow down the source of the problem?

Have you tried reverting to a previous kernel?
    You know, in the boot menu, advanced options...

Comment

Check the status of dkms to verify the drivers are actually installed in the new kernels. I've seen this happen before;
      stuart@office:~$ dkms status
      nvidia, 430.64, 5.0.0-36-generic, x86_64: installed
      nvidia, 430.64, 5.0.0-37-generic, x86_64: installed
      nvidia, 430.64, 5.3.0-26-generic, x86_64: installed
      nvidia, 430.64, 5.3.0-28-generic, x86_64: installed
      stuart@office:~$

Please Read Me

Comment

Interesting point; when I ran it one one machine it returns the following:
        ~$ dkms status
        nvidia, 390.116: added

now I'm wondering why it says "added" instead of "installed"

I also checked ~/.nvidia-settings-rc and found it is incomplete, with no attributes listed.
        It appears the drivers are not properly installed; I have tried re-installing them but that made no difference.
        I may try reinstalling Kubuntu, without pulling in updates, on one of the systems to see what happens, and then update to see if the problem recurs.

Comment

"added" means the driver is present on the system but not installed into the kernel modules. There probably was something missing when initial install was attempted - one of the reasons I always do updates from the command line. I don't believe you should find anything in ~/.nvidia-settings-rc as the driver hasn't been loaded.

You can manually "install" the driver module from Konsole and report any errors if it fails. I believe this may do it:

sudo dkms install -m nvidia -v 390.116

If you have multiple kernels installed you might have to:

sudo dkms install -m nvidia -v 390.116 -k 5.0.0-36-generic

for each kernel. Obviously use your kernel version

Please Read Me

Comment

FYI, you have to have the kernel headers installed to use drivers via dkms

Please Read Me

Comment

Thanls, I'll give that a try... Hmmmm. it gives me:

"~$ sudo dkms install -m nvidia -v 390.116 -k 4.15.0-76-generic

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...
              applying patch buildfix_kernel_5.2.patch...patching file common/inc/nv-linux.h
              patching file common/inc/nv-list-helpers.h
              patching file conftest.sh
              patching file nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-connector.c
              patching file nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.c
              patching file nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-encoder.c
              patching file nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem-nvkms-memory.c
              can't find file to patch at input line 199
              Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
              The text leading up to this was:
              --------------------------
              |diff --git a/nvidia-uvm/nvidia-uvm.Kbuild b/nvidia-uvm/nvidia-uvm.Kbuild
              |index 5eb1d40..4d38d95 100644
              |--- a/nvidia-uvm/nvidia-uvm.Kbuild
              |+++ b/nvidia-uvm/nvidia-uvm.Kbuild
              File to patch: "

... and halts.

Comment

You could try with software-properties-gtk (software-properties-kde does not seem to have an "additional drivers" section).

Click image for larger version

Name:	spgtkd.png
Views:	1
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	644581

Comment

Originally posted by alpreston View Post
                  Thanls, I'll give that a try... Hmmmm. it gives me:

"~$ sudo dkms install -m nvidia -v 390.116 -k 4.15.0-76-generic

Kernel preparation unnecessary for this kernel. Skipping...
                  applying patch buildfix_kernel_5.2.patch...patching file common/inc/nv-linux.h
                  patching file common/inc/nv-list-helpers.h
                  patching file conftest.sh
                  patching file nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-connector.c
                  patching file nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-drv.c
                  patching file nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-encoder.c
                  patching file nvidia-drm/nvidia-drm-gem-nvkms-memory.c
                  can't find file to patch at input line 199
                  Perhaps you used the wrong -p or --strip option?
                  The text leading up to this was:
                  |diff --git a/nvidia-uvm/nvidia-uvm.Kbuild b/nvidia-uvm/nvidia-uvm.Kbuild
                  |index 5eb1d40..4d38d95 100644
                  |--- a/nvidia-uvm/nvidia-uvm.Kbuild
                  |+++ b/nvidia-uvm/nvidia-uvm.Kbuild
                  File to patch: "

... and halts.
                  Maybe that years-old driver is too out of date for the new kernels, so the kernel is looking for a patch to make it work. Why not install a driver from this century? Nvidia's website doesn't even list the 390 series when search for that card. It suggests 430- or 440-, both of which are in the repos.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                    You could try with software-properties-gtk (software-properties-kde does not seem to have an "additional drivers" section).
                    That is because the driver manager is in System Settings in Kubuntu, where it has always lived.

Comment

OK, I reinstalled Kubuntu on one machine, without updates. It came up at 1920x1080 using the nouveau driver, and continued so for the rest of the day. This morning, it was back to the low resolution - before I attempted to install the nVidia driver AND before I did any updates. The only updates in the interim were whatever was brought in by "unattended upgrades". As the problem affects both the nouveau and nVidia drivers, it has to be something more basic than a fault with the latter.

Comment

Actually, the nVidia website does list the 390 series for my card, and indicates it to be the latest for the card/OS combination. The later drivers are for the 64-bit versions of Kubuntu (and 435 is working fine with the later 64 bit Kubuntu 19.10 installs on the same two computers). I have the 32 bit OS installed for software that requires 32-bit libraries not available from the 64-bit repositories.

Comment

Sorry, I wouldn't have thought anyone was running 32 bit anymore

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by oshunluvr View Post
                            Sorry, I wouldn't have thought anyone was running 32 bit anymore
                            FYI, I have two 32 bit systems, laptop and desktop, both of which are in regular use and I keep them updated with Linux. Yes, I also have a 64 bit laptop but 32 bit is not dead (yet). "...from my cold, dead hands" as Charlton Heston said.
                            Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

Yeah, well I wouldn't expect anyone to be using a tube TV anymore either. Whatever...

Point is; It's was important enough to mention if you're asking for help.

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                              X