This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Replacing Nvidia card with Radeon

I currently have a Nividia GT218 card in my system and wish to replace it with a Radeon N7 250.
    After swapping out the cards and connecting one of my monitors via the DP port interfaces (the other monitor is still interfaced to a DVI port) I booted the computer. It never gets past a black screen with a movable mouse cursor on only one monitor. I was able to boot into recovery mode via grub, and here only one monitor (DVI) displays, the other monitor reports no signal (even after manually switching it to DP). I was then able to select normal boot, and once again only get a dark screen. I thought that this card was supported by the open source AMD driver, and that the system would auto detect the change. I've put the original Nividia card back in for now, any ideas on how to proceed so I can swap the card?

You probably have to uninstall any proprietary Nvida drivers, if you installed them, as they kind of take over things.

You can use the Driver Manager to switch to the stock open source Nouveau driver, then swap cards. You might want to run sudo apt autoremove afterwards to make sure any stray packages left behind are also removed.

You might also have to remove the /etc/xorg.conf file, if one was created by the Nvidia driver.

I did this myself in September 2018, and I think this is what I did when switching from a GTX 1050 to an RX 560

Comment

How do I access the Driver Manager? I don't see it under the Kubuntu menu, "which driver-manager" returns nothing in command line.
      Also ls /etc/xorg* returns nothing.

Comment

Oops, that should be /etc/X11/xorg.conf
        You may or may not have this file. It is not necessary to have one

The driver manager is in System Settings

Comment

No x11 config file found...

ken@PenguinInTheDell:~$ ls /etc/X11/xorg*
          ls: cannot access '/etc/X11/xorg*': No such file or directory

OK driver manager shows "Using X.ORG X server - Nouveau display driver"

Command line shows:
          ken@PenguinInTheDell:~$ ubuntu-drivers devices
          == /sys/devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:01.0/0000:01:00.0 ==
          modalias : pci:v000010DEd000010D8sv0000103Csd00000862bc03sc00 i00
          vendor : NVIDIA Corporation
          model : GT218 [NVS 300]
          driver : nvidia-304 - third-party free
          driver : nvidia-340 - third-party free recommended
          driver : xserver-xorg-video-nouveau - distro free builtin

Lists all drivers.

How do I remove the 304 and 340 drivers (sudo apt-get autoremove does nothing)?

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            The driver manager is in System Settings
            Sometimes it isn't.

Click image for larger version

Name:	drvm.png
Views:	1
Size:	9.7 KB
ID:	644564

If the OP doesn't have it... maybe, sudo apt install software-properties-gtk will help... software-properties-kde does not seem to have a "drivers" tab.

Comment

Hmmm...If you are using the stock Nouveau driver, then you don't have either of the non-free drivers installed, and your issue lies elsewhere.

Something I missed, but if you do put the AMD card back in, and still get the black screen with a mouse cursor, it might be that Plasmashell had crashed for some reason, or did not start. If you do have a working cursor, try hitting alt-f2 and see if krunner opens. If it does, you can try entering the command plasmashell. If you are not getting to the login screen, then likely this is not working (unless you set up autologin)

Other things to try to get more info is to try switching to a different vt and try starting up Plasma manually

ctrtl-alt-f2
              login if you get the option
              then enter the command startplasma-x11, or possibly startx (do not use sudo here)
              And see what the error messages might be.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                Sometimes it isn't.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8636[/ATTACH]

If the OP doesn't have it... maybe, sudo apt install software-properties-gtk will help... software-properties-kde does not seem to have a "drivers" tab.
                It should be, in a stock Kubuntu 18.04. Not at all related to software-properties-kde or gtk

Comment

Oh, I don't know, he said he didn't have it...

Originally posted by kscharf View Post
                  How do I access the Driver Manager? I don't see it under the Kubuntu menu, "which driver-manager" returns nothing in command line.
                  It's "related" in the way that software-properties-kde does not have a "drivers" section but gtk does.
                  I just though it might be of interest. If it isn't, disregard.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                    Oh, I don't know, he said he didn't have it...

It's "related" in the way that software-properties-kde does not have a "drivers" section but gtk does.
                    I just though it might be of interest. If it isn't, disregard.
                    The system settings module comes in the package "kubuntu-driver-manager", which is installed by default, but might have been removed after installation (it will get removed, for example, if one removes apt-xapian-index which kubuntu-driver-manager depends on)
                    Last edited by kubicle; Jan 30, 2020, 01:45 AM.

Comment

did you do this?
                      Code:
                      nvidia-installer --uninstall
                      sudo apt remove nvidia-*
                      and then
                      Code:
                      sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
                      sudo apt update
                      don't just switch to different driver, but remove proprietary nvidia drivers. then switch the cards and kernel should pickup the AMD chip.

Comment

Originally posted by mastablasta View Post
                        did you do this?
                        Code:
                        nvidia-installer --uninstall
                        sudo apt remove nvidia-*
                        and then
                        Code:
                        sudo add-apt-repository --remove ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
                        sudo apt update
                        don't just switch to different driver, but remove proprietary nvidia drivers. then switch the cards and kernel should pickup the AMD chip.
                        The OP doesn't seem to have the Nvidia drivers installed, and those instructions are for those who manually installed them using files gotten directly from Nvidia (ie installed the 'hard' way)

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Comment

I did install the driver, either after installing Kubuntu, or during the install (the installer asks a question about that, IIRC). After trying to swap cards the first time, I did an apt-get install on the open source driver, that's why the driver manager showed it selected. I had found out how to run the command line dm, and it shows all three drivers, but doesn't indicate which is active. Since I now seem to be running on the OS driver, I will try to remove the nvidia drivers and then try swapping the cards again. And yes, the gui driver manager WAS installed with kubuntu, but I didn't know where it was hiding on the menu, or how to launch it from the command line. Thank's for that. Will chime in again after I try swapping the hw again. If it doesn't work, I'll look for the kubuntu install media (USB stick or DVD rom) and see if booting into the install media works on the live image.

BTW, IIRC there is an apt-get command to list or search for installed packages, or maybe symantac can do that.
                          Last edited by kscharf; Jan 30, 2020, 10:30 AM.

Comment

If you are using apt, you can run: apt list --installed

If apt isn't installed/available, you can run: sudo dpkg-query -l | less
                            (that's a lower case L)

You don't have to use the pipe to less ( the "| less" part), but using it shows one screen at a time of the output.
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                            X