Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice Flatpak change VLC from gtk to kde5

Hi

I have installed LibreOffice as a flatpak via Discover. The installed LibreOffice reports the following from the About menu.

Version: 6.3.4.2
    Build ID: 60da17e045e08f1793c57c00ba83cdfce946d0aa
    CPU threads: 8; OS: Linux 5.3; UI render: default; VCL: gtk3;
    Flatpak
    Locale: en-US (en_US.UTF-8); UI-Language: en-US
    Calc: threaded

Of course LibreOffice works, BUT i want to change the VCL from gtk3 to kde5.

I tried this:

flatpak override --env=SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=kde5 org.libreoffice.LibreOffice

I tried running the above as root.

Nothing works. LibreOffice always starts with the VCL set to gtk3.

I tried a whole bunch of other things (e.g. setting SAL_USE_VCLPLUGIN=kde5 in /etc/profile.d/libreoffice-fresh.sh). Nothing works -- the VCL is always gtk3.

Any thoughts on how to fix this? The GTK look and the GTK file dialog are driving me nuts!
    thanks
    Aardy

In the non-containerized way of doing things, "gtk" isn't a setting, rather a build parameter. I'd expect the same from a flatpak; so to get a Qt version of LO, you'd need a different flatpak.
    Regards, John Little

Comment

Originally posted by jlittle View Post
      In the non-containerized way of doing things, "gtk" isn't a setting, rather a build parameter. I'd expect the same from a flatpak; so to get a Qt version of LO, you'd need a different flatpak.
      I don't think it's a build parameter. See this discussion for the Arch Linux wiki (sorry not sure how to do links here):
      https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Libreoffice

The Themeing section suggests its an environment variable that just has to be set in the right place.

Aardy

Comment

Originally posted by theaardvark View Post
        (sorry not sure how to do links here
        Aardy
        Generally, 3 ways:
        1. The way you did -- just copy & past the URL where you want it.

2. Use [ url ] paste link here [ / url] but leave out the spaces.

3. In the body of the text you are writing, to attach the URL link to a word or phrase, highlight the word or phrase and then click in the icon bar the world globe (link) and paste the URL into the dialog that appears, then click "Ok". The highlighted word or phrase will now be underlined.

A common problem is to link the last word in a sentence and then discover that as you continue to type subsequent words are also linked. To repair this click on the left-most icon in the icon bar (superscript small A, right slash, underline A). The disabled formatting effects and shows you the coding (brackets, fonts, colors, text) without formatting. Repair the problem and then click on the second icon in the icon bar, which restores formatting. Play with it in an experimental msg and you'll catch on very quickly.
        "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
        – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

From https://www.libreoffice.org/download/flatpak/

The LibreOffice Flatpak is using LibreOffice's GTK3 backend, which should offer the most complete set of features in LibreOffice, including support for Wayland. Older versions of the LibreOffice Flatpak were based on the GNOME runtime, but starting with LibreOffice 6.0.3 it is based on the smaller freedesktop.org runtime, which should not have any negative impact on functionality.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

I prefer to use a ppa: https://launchpad.net/~libreoffice/+archive/ubuntu/ppa

On my Kubuntu 18.04:

Code:
            $ apt list --installed | grep -i libreoffice                                                                                   

WARNING: apt does not have a stable CLI interface. Use with caution in scripts.                                                                     

libreoffice-base-core/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
            libreoffice-calc/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 amd64 [installed]
            libreoffice-common/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 all [installed,automatic]
            libreoffice-core/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
            libreoffice-kde5/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 amd64 [installed] <<<<
            libreoffice-math/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
            libreoffice-qt5/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 amd64 [installed,automatic]
            libreoffice-style-breeze/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 all [installed,automatic]
            libreoffice-style-colibre/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 all [installed,automatic]
            libreoffice-style-tango/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 all [installed,automatic]
            libreoffice-writer/bionic,now 1:6.3.4-0ubuntu0.18.04.1~lo2 amd64 [installed]
            $
            libreoffice-kde (and libreoffice-qt5?) instead of libreoffice-gtk3 maybe needed for proper "integration" .
            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks. I went with that ppa and now I have a not so ugly LibreOffice.

Comment

Working...
              X