This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[CONFIGURATION] Restore Panel to Defaults

I lost my panel entries, Chrome, Firefox etc. and no more have the option to put them back? How do I restore the panel to defaults?
    Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

It's likely that you accidentally removed the Task Manager from the Panel. Just add it back.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I looked around but can't figure out how to do that? The Panel is still there and all works well, I just can't add apps back? I don't have Timeshift setup and don't think I should need it for something like this. This confounded Panel has always been confusing to me.

Comment

If you haven't locked the Panel, just right-click on it and select Add Widgets...

In the search box type Task and then double-click on the presented Task Manager.

Comment

Thanks, that worked!

What is the 'Icons-only Task Manager'? Now when I open the Widgets and type Task, I see both Task Widgets, one has a little blue number on it saying '1' and the other says '2'. Does that mean I installed 1 and 2 of these? O-boy, I got lots to learn about Kubuntu.

When I right click on an app like Chrome I see 'Pin to Task Manager' how is this different from 'Add to Panel (Widget)' ?

Comment

Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
            What is the 'Icons-only Task Manager'? Now when I open the Widgets and type Task, I see both Task Widgets, one has a little blue number on it saying '1' and the other says '2'. Does that mean I installed 1 and 2 of these?.
            Technically not "installed", there is only one of each installed, but it does mean you seem to have two of one and one of the other active and running on your desktop (which is probably not what you want)...Do you see more than one active task managers?
            Originally posted by Nasty7 View Post
            When I right click on an app like Chrome I see 'Pin to Task Manager' how is this different from 'Add to Panel (Widget)' ?
            Panel widget is a separate shortcut that is always visible while a pinned program shows a shortcut embedded to the task manager when the program is not running, for running programs the shortcut is "replaced" by is task bar entry.

Comment

In a worst case scenario, one can delete the entire panel, then add a new default one - right click somewhere on the desktop, and select Panel >> default panel

The icon-only task manager is exactly as described. No text in the taskbar, only icons., You can switch to it without adding an extra task manager by the ever useful right click, and select the Show Alternatives. This option is also found on things like the menu button and the clock, anywhere that multiple iterations of a widget are available, mostly.

As to pinning vs widget, in the first, the icon becomes the taskbar entry. The widget way, the icon is a launcher, so you will see both the icon and the taskbar entry.
              The pined application icon/taskbar entry can reposition depending on which pinned programs are open, witth closed ones staying to the left side, and newly opened ones move to the right
              When closed, these stay in the order you set them to.
              some people are bugged by this. It does not bother me, as multiple icons bugs the snot out of me, personally

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20200123_182039.png
Views:	1
Size:	276.1 KB
ID:	644551

Name:	Screenshot_20200123_182112.png
Size:	257.0 KB
ID:	644552

Name:	Screenshot_20200123_182141.png
Size:	286.4 KB
ID:	644553
              Last edited by claydoh; Jan 23, 2020, 05:24 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                Panel widget is a separate shortcut that is always visible while a pinned program shows a shortcut embedded to the task manager when the program is not running, for running programs the shortcut is "replaced" by is task bar entry.
                But ONLY if the Task Manager widget is running on the Panel.

Comment

Working...
                X