Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Where in the lock widgets option in 5.17.90?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
    The reason I was looking for the lock/unlock is because of the plasma transparency button which can be hidden only by locking widgets if I understand this correctly: https://store.kde.org/p/1338479/
    That's rather awkward, having to unlock widgets in order to use, then lock again. A systray widget would be better. Though this widget is very young, perhaps the author can make it work with Plasma 5.18, or turn it into a systray item.

Or an extra panel, put on a side or the top, set to autohide, containing just this widget and resized to just fit it. I used to do this, having each part of a normal bottom panel broken into 4 or 5 individual panels, so that I could have each one view in a way that would not get in the way of Kodi's interface, on my HTPC setup.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
      There will be howls from the 5 people that actually use it, methinks. I don't recall ever using this option, going back to KDE 4.0, back in 2008.
      I have always had my widgets locked, just to hide the "unnecessary" panel configuration button, but since they seemed to have done away with that as well, they'll hear no complaints from me.
      I think it was originally implemented to protect widgets from accidental deletion/movement. But like you said, this is much less of a problem in later iterations of Plasma than it used to be in earlier versions.
      Last edited by kubicle; Jan 21, 2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
        I have always had my widgets locked, just to hide the "unnecessary" panel configuration button, but since they seemed to have done away with that as well, they'll hear no complaints from me.
        I think it was originally implemented to protect widgets from accidental deletion/movement. But like you said, this is much less of a problem in later iterations of Plasma than it used to be in earlier versions.
        Well, that does not show unless you do a right click on the panel , and choose the edit panel option, or right click on the desktop and choose Customize layout. So, you'll not have to worry about it

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          Trawling through Phabricator, bugs, and changelogs, there is no longer a visible lock widgets option, which apparently was originally designed for sysadmin/kiosk mode use. As it has been a long time since widgets have been too easy to move, etc, etc. They removed it with the revamp of the overall settings, apparently. Can be set via config edit.

~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc :
          Code:
          [General]
          immutability=2
          The default is "1"
          Thanks for digging into the disappearance! As such, the button is not very obtrusive.
          Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          Well, if this is going to be the way it's going to be, maybe someone should tell the Greek to find another way to show/hide the transparency button
          Normally, the dev is on top of these things but maybe it's worth an issue on GitHub.
          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Yes, he usually is (for those who don't know, he's Mr. Latte Dock ;·).
            I just told him on store.kde anyway.

Comment

Yes, he usually is (for those who don't know, he's Mr. Latte Dock ;·).
              I just told him on store.kde anyway.
              Thank you!
              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

He says:

I didn't know but also I don't know if new global editing mode is accessible to applets, the applet main purpose was to help Latte send screen geometries to Plasma, in Plasma 5.18 this is provided by a new Plasma mechanism. So there is big chance that the applet will become obsolete if there is no easy way for applets to access new global editing mode.

Which I don't quite understand.

Comment

He says:

I didn't know but also I don't know if new global editing mode is accessible to applets, the applet main purpose was to help Latte send screen geometries to Plasma, in Plasma 5.18 this is provided by a new Plasma mechanism. So there is big chance that the applet will become obsolete if there is no easy way for applets to access new global editing mode.

This should sum up the changes (with relevant links to phabricator):
                  https://pointieststick.com/2019/10/2...-noble-cashew/
                  Last edited by kubicle; Jan 22, 2020, 03:07 AM.

Comment

He says:

We "non-developers" will just have to keep calm and carry on

Originally posted by kubicle View Post
                    This should sum up the changes (with relevant links to phabricator):
                    https://pointieststick.com/2019/10/2...-noble-cashew/
                    Thanks! Bookmarked.
                    Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thanks K. That Nate's blog is definitely a gold mine for KDE info.

As to The Greek. Talk about being on top of things. :·)
                      He says:
                      Ok, you should try v0.2.0 that requires Plasma>=5.18. When you exit Configure Layout mode of Plasma 5.18 the applet should become hidden. I have not tested it but I believe it should work.

I tried. Edit panel, Add widget, local file... no button.
                      And I'm not sure what "Configure Layout mode" is exactly.
                      And :·) we (on 5.17.90) don't quite have 5.18 yet, so... I'm lost.

Maybe chimak - who has the button - can have a better idea.

Comment

And :·) we (on 5.17.90) don't quite have 5.18 yet, so... I'm lost.

Maybe chimak - who has the button - can have a better idea.
                        Nope, not a clue! All I know is that the button works as advertised for now. I've given up on trying to hide it for now.
                        Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

But you haven't tried v0.2.0 though, have you?

Comment

But you haven't tried v0.2.0 though, have you?
                            No! I'll look for it and post back.
                            Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Okay, I went back to get new widgets and there was an Update button. I clicked it. But I don't know whether I've now got v0.2 or not and how to check that. And even if I do, whether the button sees 5.17.90 as >=5.18!

Edit: /home/dkb/.local/share/plasma/plasmoids/org.kde.paneltransparencybutton/metadata.desktop still has

X-KDE-PluginInfo-Version=0.1
                              Last edited by chimak111; Jan 22, 2020, 06:27 AM.
                              Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Right-click on the Desktop
                                Choose Configure Desktop
                                Choose Mouse Actions
                                Click on the "Settings" icon to the right of Standard Menu

A new window, "Configure Contextual Menu Plugin", opens

Lock Widgets is there!

By the way, I tried to set up a new action using Ctrl+LeftButton. Although I could set it up, nothing happens when I click Ctrl+LeftButton on the desktop.
                                Attached Files
                                Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
                                X