X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] File managers no longer able to access NFS shares

This has me baffled:
    NFS server: Ubuntu server 18.04, no changes in setup since it was installed other than some added exports a year ago.
    Desktop: KDEneon User Edition (18.04 LITS) fully updated.

All of a sudden, Dolphin stopped responding while I was accessing my server NFS shares.

dmesg revealed:
    [Mon Jan 20 13:17:17 2020] nfs: server server not responding, still trying
    [Mon Jan 20 13:17:20 2020] nfs: server server OK
    repeated many times, but it's stopped a half hour ago. However, since then Dolphin locks up when I attempt to access the shared folder. Subsequent attempts to use Dolphin do not repeat this error.

The nfs v4 exports are mounted at /shared using fstab thusly;
    Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000]server:/ /shared nfs nofail,x-systemd.automount,x-systemd-device-timeout=10,_netdev,bg,hard,timeo=3,retrans=5,intr,noatime,nodiratime 0 0[/COLOR][/FONT]
    I have symlinked the user folder "Public" to the /shared mount point and mormally access the files that way. This has been set up this way for years, literally.

I have force unmounted and remounted it.
    I have rebooted both the server and the desktop.
    I have installed Krusader to use instead of Dolphin but the behavior is the same.
    I can access the shared files and folders from the command line without issue.

To make it even more weird, these applications I have tried so far have no trouble accessing the shares, puddletag, MusicBrainz Picard. However, they don't use the Plasma file dialog to list the files. When I tried KRename, it locks up too and it DOES use the plasma file dialog, so that must be where it problem lies.

Anyone have any ideas how to fix this without rebuild my entire user?

Please Read Me

This on KDEneon or Kubuntu 18.04? Posted in 18,04, but given that you say "Desktop: KDEneon User Edition (18.04) fully updated.", I think this thread should be in KDE neon.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I guess this is a plasma problem, so I agree and moved it.

Please Read Me

Comment

I set up a second user and it has no trouble accessing the NFS shares, so it's clearly in my user somewhere.

Please Read Me

Comment

In the way I 'see' things, this (might) indicate a cache issue, especially as you indicate that it happened after an update. That said, have you tried logging out/rebooting to see if the issue persists?

Comment

I tried removing the .cache folder and that didn't help. I scanned for files dated today and saw the .Xauthority file. Knowing that file to be a source of trouble, I removed it and logged out and back in. Seems to be all good now. What a PITA though...

Well, that worked for a couple minutes.
            Last edited by oshunluvr; Jan 20, 2020, 02:00 PM.

Please Read Me

Comment

Well, really only ("a PITA") if you end up having to do this on a regular basis. If his action 'fixed' the issue, and it doesn't recur, all is good, yeah?

Comment

I myself never set anything up. I can break it. Did you do it?

Okay so I had this real emergency when my kid came home a couple of weeks ago and announced she absolutely had to take part in a high-brow basketball competition that cost whooping $600 I simply didn’t have handy. Don’t get me wrong, I do not dish out hundreds of bucks every time she opens her mouth, but basketball is her life and we’re very serious about the stuff. I know it’s not cheap, but I took out a loan to get the missing $300. I did some research and went to a suggestet Internet page where I applied and got approved all under one hour.
                Last edited by Rediva; Mar 07, 2020, 02:17 PM. Reason: error correction

Comment

[s] don't have an NFS installed but have you tried

systemctl list-units | grep nfs

to see if you have a systemd NFS unit that has been disabled or masked?[/d]

EDIT:
                  Never mind. If an nfs unit were disabled or masked you wouldn't be able to see it from the CLI.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                    [s] don't have an NFS installed but have you tried

systemctl list-units | grep nfs

to see if you have a systemd NFS unit that has been disabled or masked?[/d]

EDIT:
                    Never mind. If an nfs unit were disabled or masked you wouldn't be able to see it from the CLI.
                    LOL, but thanks.

This hasn't re-occurred so I'm gonna close this one. I had been having trouble around the same time with not being able to boot randomly - as in kernel panic one boot then rebooting fine. That's gone away too so I suspect a kernel issue was involved. No idea if they were related but both went away about the same time. I tried the 5.3 kernel but it has a bug related to my network card so I'm ticking with the 5.0 at this point. I read the the aforementioned bug is fixed down stream but the 5.4 or 5.5 kernels aren't available in Neon yet.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
                      Well, really only ("a PITA") if you end up having to do this on a regular basis. If his action 'fixed' the issue, and it doesn't recur, all is good, yeah?
                      Exactly, it reoccurred a couple times. All good now apparently

Please Read Me

Comment

Working...
                      X