Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Discover updater showing the wrong number of updates in the taskbar.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Discover updater showing the wrong number of updates in the taskbar.

Is anyone else having an issue with the Discover updater where its showing the wrong number of updates in the taskbar? Because I am I've noticed this bug for at least the past week or so, for example right now it says I have two updates but when I open the Discover updater it only shows one update.

Maybe it hasn't discovered how to count yet.

Comment

I use Discover all the time for routine updates. It may show in the Task Bar x updates. So you click on the icon, Discover opens, you click on get updates or whatever, and after awhile say y updates appear in the list, where y is a number greater than x. That--I think--is to be expected sometimes, as Discover will do a search after you open it so it gets all updates available at the time you are actually sitting there watching and waiting. Is this what you meant?
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

If I may:
        Try this.
        Make an alias for sudo apt update && sudo apt full-upgrade.
        Next time you see the pesky updates icon, instead of clicking that, open a konsole and run your alias.
        See how you like it.

It's a lot faster than Discover, it doesn't hog your resources, and it tells you what it's doing in much greater - and informative - detail.
        If you don't like it, you can always go back to Discover.

Comment

I tried the alias technique and it works fine, so I'm staying with it. The only drawback I can see is that if you see that the updates are huge and you haven't got enough time to run them through, you can't stop the process cleanly. But it's the quickest way I've ever used to update, and I thank Don B. Cilly for the tip.

Comment

Well, if you don't use the -y option, you get a Y/n prompt, and it's quite easy to guess the size of the update - the size of the download is explicitly stated before the prompt..
            After a while, your eye gets smart enough to know whether a kernel update is needed.

Also, if needed, you could pause and restart the job. Like Ctrl-Z and fg... unless you have to reboot...

Comment

I use the icon as an indicator only. Sometimes its count is wrong, but to me it's only an indicator showing that updates are available. I assume it will take time. Two package updates CAN take more time than 4 package updates. So when I'm ready, I go to konsole and run the apt commands. Then let 'er rip! It takes the time that it takes; nothing more, nothing less.
              The next brick house on the left
              Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Well it has seemed to fix itself the updates it shows in the system tray now match what shows up in the Discover Software Center/Updater.

Comment

I use the terminal but the update icon never goes away now. Even after a update requiring a reboot, it does not go away. When you click it there is always 1 update and when you wait for it to show, it says there are no updates but, the icon never goes away. Very odd.

Comment

You might want to try cleaning the apt cache:
                    https://blog.sleeplessbeastie.eu/201...the-apt-cache/
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                    X