I loved Xubuntu 1804 but I Hate the 1904 desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I loved Xubuntu 1804 but I Hate the 1904 desktop

I was really happy with Xubuntu 18.04. I actually I loved it. I recommended it to all my computer friends and musicians. I especially loved how I could put shortcuts on my taskbar for almost everything I wanted to place there. I liked the desktop access to wallpaper simplicity. I pretty much loved everything about it. Other than the picture viewer with the features that I wanted had a big flaw in it. when you enlarged a picture the bottom portion of it would be blacked out.

I thought the desktop was the best in 18.04. I could aline icons and folders on the left side where I keep temporary folders and mouse-pad notes, and I kept a file called desk junk on the right side for videos & misc files. And at the bottom I could keep all my contact information in a mouse-pad file.

My desktop world was rosy and I loved it better than any OS desktop that Windows put out, except for the Win10 desktop which allowed me to arrange EVERYTHING just like I want it.

But along came 19.04. It dictated where I MUST put my files and folders on the desktop. I no longer had any say on MY COMPUTER that I own and paid for. 19.04 is like a tyrannical government telling me it was it's way or the highway. Even when I put my Desk Junk folder on the left side where Xubuntu 19.04 dictates that I put it, and I arrange other folders under my desk junk folder it re arranges them every time I re boot. No matter that even when I play but it's rules it changes my desktop.

Will someone please add a "Leave my damned desktop alone option" in 19.04? or a "F%&^K off auto-arrange option" to force Xubuntu 19.10 to stop bossing me around?

I am now going to have to hunt down all my important files (And we all know some get lost every time we do that) wipe my hard drive, and re install Xubuntu 18.04. It is beginning to act like Microsuck. Every "New" upgrade screws up what you liked on the previous OS.

I am truly an unhappy camper. I hate having to go through all this crap just so I can be the ruler of my desktop.

So 19.04, I do not like your way so I am now going to choose the highway. Because your desktop SUCKS BIG TIME.

Originally posted by Stratcat View Post
    I was really happy with Xubuntu 18.04. I actually I loved it.
    So 19.04, I do not like your way so I am now going to choose the highway. Because your desktop SUCKS BIG TIME.
    Is your complaint against Kubuntu 19.04? If 'Yes', why did you move over to Kubuntu 19.04 and not Xubuntu 19.04? If however, your complaint is against Xubuntu 19.04 (that's what you upgraded to), then you are posting in the wrong forum.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by Snowhog View Post
      Is your complaint against Kubuntu 19.04? If 'Yes', why did you move over to Kubuntu 19.04 and not Xubuntu 19.04? If however, your complaint is against Xubuntu 19.04 (that's what you upgraded to), then you are posting in the wrong forum.
      Probably because this being the first time on the forum I appear to have gotten lost and unable to find Xubuntu. My complaint is against the Xubuntu upgrade but I have no idea where that is. For someone here for the first time it isn't the most comprehensive site. Like everywhere else I suppose you have to find your way around. No offense meant, just searching for elusive assistance. I'm not a geek, I'm a musician and musicians are always lost. It's part of the requirement.

Comment

I'm not sure which desktop your rant is about (I find the need to rant occasionally, computers are like that), but...
        ... it re arranges them every time I re boot...
        That can be caused by ownership problems in the home directory, possibly a consequence of running a GUI programme as root. When you log out the DE can't save the locations because it can't write to the configuration files, and it can't tell you about it because the DE has shut down. You might check for files not owned by you under .local and .config.
        Regards, John Little

Comment

Did the OP install Kubuntu after using Xubuntu? Mentions of mouse pad point to Xfce, but I don't understand the user's new situation, especially as Xfce didn't have any changes, as the versions between 18.04 and 19.04 are only 'point' releases (4.12.4 to 4.12.5) Heck, 4.14 in 19.10 and 20.04 is mostly a port to gtk3, and though there are new features, there is no drastic change in the desktop itself as far as I can see. But not having used it much in the past few years, I can't really say.

Here is Xubuntu 19.04's list of major updates:

Major Updates
          Keyboard Shortcuts
          Xubuntu 19.04 includes a few new keyboard shortcuts to make your workflow faster.

Shift + PrintScreen will launch the Xfce Screenshooter's region capture mode.
          F4 (in Thunar) will open a terminal in the current path.
          Ctrl + Shift + F / Cmd + Shift + F (in Thunar) will open Catfish in the current path.

So, after wasting time looking at this, I am confused, even if the OP installed Kubuntu.

Comment

Perhaps you could download Xubuntu 18.04 and re-install it. Here's the link:
            https://xubuntu.org/download
            "Strange memories on this nervous night in Las Vegas."
            Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Probably because this being the first time on the forum I appear to have gotten lost and unable to find Xubuntu. My complaint is against the Xubuntu upgrade but I have no idea where that is. For someone here for the first time it isn't the most comprehensive site. Like everywhere else I suppose you have to find your way around. No offense meant, just searching for elusive assistance. I'm not a geek, I'm a musician and musicians are always lost. It's part of the requirement.
              Unfortunately, we are a Kubuntu focused forum, with experience in the Plasma Desktop. and do not have a Xubuntu or Xfce section. Or any other *buntu 'flavour'.
              Here are some support options that may be useful, though certainly we won't chase you away even if many to most of us may not have much experience with Xfce/Xubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
                ...and do not have a Xubuntu or Xfce section. Or any other *buntu 'flavour'.
                Actually, we do: XFCE Environment Help however, it doesn't get much activity. The last post was over two years ago.

Comment

Actually, we do: XFCE Environment Help however, it doesn't get much activity. The last post was over two years ago.
                  Sigh, we have too many nooks and crannies, lol.
                  Do we still have a dungeon, and a bowling alley?

Comment

Sigh, we have too many nooks and crannies, lol.
                    Do we still have a dungeon, and a bowling alley?
                    Won't disagree with you. I've been thinking, off and on, about changing our structure. Wouldn't do so though without input from the other Administrators. As to a dungeon and bowling alley; if you haven't located them yet, I'm not going to tell you where they are.

Comment

Won't disagree with you. I've been thinking, off and on, about changing our structure. Wouldn't do so though without input from the other Administrators. As to a dungeon and bowling alley; if you haven't located them yet, I'm not going to tell you where they are.
                      Once I find the golf carts, I will have a wander. I ain't gonna walk it until after the knees are replaced

I have long wanted a more trim layout, but I think I would probably be know I definitely would be far too extreme in the trimmage, so I never really bring it up.

Comment

I have long wanted a more trim layout, but I think I would probably be know I definitely would be far too extreme in the trimmage, so I never really bring it up.
                        Extreme isn't a reason for not proposing it. I like to approach things with a "put it all on the table, then discuss/evaluate the merits of each". PM me or post in the Admin area your thoughts if you want to.

Comment

Thanks guys. I found the main ubuntu forums but many of the posts say they are confused about navigating those forums. I guess I'm not alone. I do have Xubuntu 18.04 and should never have clicked yes when a box popped up offering to upgrade my current OS to the "Newest" Xubuntu 19.10 "totalitarian desktop" version. (I was calling it 19.04 by mistake) You forum members were helpful and I appreciated that. If you add a lounge to the bowling alley maybe I'll drop in with a couple more musicians and pick a little guitar for your amusement.

Comment

Working...
                          X