X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] First Failure Ever

Well, probably not ...

Anyway, the first reboot after accepting a kernel upgrade in the 5.3 series., I got the black screen of fail. I'm using Nvidia 390.116, which is recommended for the cheapo (Geforce GT730) video card I bought some time ago. The graphical presentation has been good, until that moment, and my graphical needs are very simple. But I do appreciate a good, clean UI.

I'm guessing I should try to go as far as I can with Nvidia versions, before going back to a 5.3 kernel, but I'm not sure about that. I may need to up my game with both a newer card and a newer Nvidia, or even Radeon. A snapshot of my system and graphics is below. Any advice?

Code:
    john@john-Desktop:/usr$ inxi -SG
    System:    Host: john-Desktop Kernel: 5.0.0-37-generic x86_64 bits: 64 Desktop: KDE Plasma 5.12.9
           Distro: Ubuntu 18.04.3 LTS
    Graphics:  Card-1: Intel HD Graphics 530
           Card-2: NVIDIA GF108 [GeForce GT 730]
           Display Server: x11 (X.Org 1.20.5 ) drivers: modesetting,nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau)
           Resolution: 1600x900@60.00hz
           OpenGL: renderer: GeForce GT 730/PCIe/SSE2 version: 4.6.0 NVIDIA 390.116
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Do you have the package dkms installed? If not, do so.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I do!

Code:
      john@john-Desktop:/usr$ dpkg -l dkms*
      Desired=Unknown/Install/Remove/Purge/Hold
      | Status=Not/Inst/Conf-files/Unpacked/halF-conf/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
      |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
      ||/ Name                    Version          Architecture     Description
      +++-=======================-================-================-====================================================
      ii  dkms                    2.3-3ubuntu9.7   all              Dynamic Kernel Module Support Framework
      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Looks like kernel 5.3.0-26 is tops in 18.04 LTS for Nvidia drivers. When 5.3.0-37 was installed recently the result was the black screen of fail. The Geforce GT 730 is supposedly supported in higher versions of the Nvidia driver, but the kernel and Kubuntu release with the driver all have to be in sync for that to work. Looking forward to 20.04LTS!

Comment

Working...
        X