X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Distorted image in some parts after update packages from discover

Hello.
    At the moment all work fine.
    Ona or tow days ago, Disover update some packages like xserver.org and others, I think, after this update, in some parts my image is distorted.
    It only happens to me when I mouse over some taskbar icons, or when I open a bookmark folder and mouse over it, when it should show a sample of where I am.
    Attached image of when I place a mouse on the telegram desktop icon, but as I comment, this happens to me if I open a bookmark folder and go moving bookmark by bookmark (without clicking), in some yes, in others not.
    I can't find the logic, but I don't know how to solve it.
    I have all the stock drivers, updated according to Discover.
    My graphics card is an AMD.

Thanks in advance.

Have you rebooted the computer since the update?

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
      Have you rebooted the computer since the update?
      Yes, I rebooted, and today, again rebooted for other update (the kernel to 5.3) continue the same issue.

Thanks and regards.

Edit: I see that it also happens to me in boxes of entering text, rather, any box that when you put mouse over it gives several options, even of web pages.But everything has something in common, when placing mouse, a text box appears, or informative text or with several options ... etc ...
      But it doesn't happen to me at all ...

Edit 2: I view the problem, is in: rendering engine (I view in preferences of system).
      Well, if I select OpenGL 2.0 or 3.1 I have this problem.
      If I set XRender, well, work fine, I don't have this problem.

But its very strange, always I set this option in OpenGL...
      Last edited by wonder; Jan 17, 2020, 06:30 AM. Reason: View the problem

Comment

I edited/updated my reply.
        I view, not the problem, but yes how solved (not at 100%) because if I set XRender, the image is not clean, when move pages I have like "screen tearing", my image is good when select OpenGL.

Its possible re install all about OpenGL?

My dirvers are the free drivers of amd that hage in kernel stock of kubuntu.

Thanks and regards.

Comment

I'm afraid I'm very ignorant of video issues.
          But since no-one else is replying...

From what I read, the OpenGL drivers come with your video card driver. So maybe re-installing/changing that...

Under Compositor, where you choose OpenGL settings, there is a Tearing Prevention ("vsync") section. Since your issue appears to be "tearing" related, try playing with those (if you haven't already).

Comment

Thanks for your reply.

Its a strange issue / problem and...solution...

I re-install all about xswerver, opengl...etc... All continue with the same.

Under compositor, on I choose OpenGL, I have tearing only if i choose XRender, if I choose OpenGL I don't have tearing. I playing with all options, any solved the issue. Yes, select XRender but...I have tearing...

Its very strange...I think is for the last upgrade of xserver but also, for try, I install the Oibaf drivers, continue the issue (after this, I deleted all with ppa purge).

Strange and I think difficult solution...

If only have the problem in the icons...I wait to kubuntu 20.04 but also I have the issue in any drop-down that pop-up gives you information, even in parts of the operating system itself.There are times that I know what it is, other times, I need to read the drop-down pop-up to choose the option.
            If I can't fix it, I think I'll have to install from 0 ...

Thank you for your time and response

Comment

You can get 20.04 here.
              I have it on two computers and it works really well...

Comment

You can get 20.04 here.
                I have it on two computers and it works really well...
                Thanks Don B. Cilly

But its my work computer, 20.04 is in Beta, true?
                I need work fine because, like indicate, its my desktop work with this desktop I work,

I can try, then, if works fine, when arrive the final versión (LTS) I can convert this beta in final version?

Thanks and regards.

Comment

Well, you can install it in a separate partition, right?
                  Copy your /home to it and try it out. If you like it, install the rest of your apps and use it.
                  Keep the 18.04 just in case.

It is Beta, but with the release date so close, it's pretty much...it.
                  I find it really solid, actually.
                  I believe no upgrading will be necessary, it already is 20.04, it will just go on updating itself.

Comment

Yes, Its an option.

Really, no separate partition, I move my current 18.04 (I have in nvme) to a mechanical drive (for keep my 18.04) and install 20.04 in the nvme.
                    Try...if I like, install the rest of apps and using, but keep my 18.04 in the other hard drive.

I try a few minutes ago in "live mode" but in live mode you can't try really, appears good, my "problem with image" aren't present in 20.04.

The betas for stable or for work I don't like in the past, preferer for test, but the option you indicate...its good.

If when are release the final 20.04 I don't need upgrade, good.

Too bad the problem I have now, because 18.04 works frankly well.

Again, thanks for answering and for your help.

Greetings!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	803eb77bd6fb430e790c3b370a5a0d39--childhood.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	644526

Click image for larger version

Name:	icon_smile_hello.gif
Views:	2
Size:	3.2 KB
ID:	644527

Comment

Well, in this moment I'm working with 20.04.

But as I wanted / needed to know if it was because of something I had installed or done wrong I proceeded to perform a clean installation of 18.04.3.
                        Just installed, well, with the updates that come just installed (without adding any ppa or app), the problem returned.
                        As far as I know, a kubuntu update has caused me that.
                        That and your advice ventured me to install 20.04.
                        Right now, I only have a few hours, the most "important" thing that my thunderbird does not open it in 20.04, indicates that it comes from an earlier version and there may be incompatibilities, for me it is impossible to recreate everything in it, many accounts, settings ... etc ...
                        But tomorrow more, that today became very late

Regards!

Comment

Seems related to AMD's GPU: https://www.reddit.com/r/kde/comment...ns_seem_to_be/
                          Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Thunderbird does that when you copy the settings (/home) over. Annoying.
                            On installation, it makes a subfolder in ~/.thunderbird with a random name, like qtd69pq.default-release.
                            On your other installation, it was called s0mth1n.d1ff3rnt.release.

So you should:
                            Close Thunderbird
                            Make a copy of your r4and0m-n4me.release folder (just in case).
                            Rename the one containing your mail and settings to what it is called on the new install.
                            Open Thunderbird and see if it finds your mail.
                            If it doesn't, rinse,repeat, check for errors in names or procedure, or search for it, I'm going from memory here :·)

Comment

Originally posted by chimak111 View Post
                              Yes, this is the bug what I have in 18.04, also, I have AMD GPU and I view a possible fixed.
                              Thunderbird does that when you copy the settings (/home) over. Annoying.
                              On installation, it makes a subfolder in ~/.thunderbird with a random name, like qtd69pq.default-release.
                              On your other installation, it was called s0mth1n.d1ff3rnt.release.

So you should:
                              Close Thunderbird
                              Make a copy of your r4and0m-n4me.release folder (just in case).
                              Rename the one containing your mail and settings to what it is called on the new install.
                              Open Thunderbird and see if it finds your mail.
                              If it doesn't, rinse,repeat, check for errors in names or procedure, or search for it, I'm going from memory here :·)
                              Yes, always, when made a fresh install, always made the same process.
                              Backup my .thunderbird folder of my home.

After fresh install, install Thunderbird but not open.
                              Copy/paste from my backup my .thunderbird folder into my home folder.
                              Start TB, all ok.
                              But in this case not, not work, indicate this.

Also I try that you indicate, open TB, create the folder .thunderbird in my home folder and inside .thunderbird the folder profile.
                              And then, made the necessaries changes in the ini for call to this new folder and copy/paste my profile backup.

I continue try, yesterday, was very late for me with very sleepy

Thanks and regards!

Comment

Working...
                              X