This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] minecaft for linux

Looking into getting miecraft installed. I visited the main page and was crestfallen to see that Microsoft now owns it. Can anyone confirm if it is like the old school version where you could download the plain vanilla version, and then add all the different crazy mod packs for it?

I am specially interested in the Direwolf 20 modpack

I don't mind paying for i, but I refuse if I have to pay 100s to add anything like I used to be able to. And Vanilla minecraft is boring.

I have Minecraft installed. I thought that when MS bought it Minecraft would be ruined. I was wrong. I can confirm that the Java edition is stronger than ever. The latest version is 1.15.2. There is an app in the repository called "minecraft-launcher". It will install the launcher in the /opt directory.

I have installed mods using both Forge and the other mod loader, Fabric. Both are lagging behind Mojang's development rate. A new feature has been added called "Datapacks". They are a form of mod that doesn't need a mod installer to install them. Just drop the zip file into the subdirectory "datapack" under the name of the map and you are good to go. There have been LOTS of new features added since version 1.12. One can also download the Minecraft server for 1.15.x from the launcher and set up your own personal web server, which I do so that my grandson and I can play Minecraft. Or, we used to. He's discovered girls now.

FTB and other modpacks are there too, although I've never run them. There are several new mobs, the hardest being the Pillagers. If you attack one with a banner headset you'll get a token of evil and that will trigger a raid in the next village you enter. The raid will occur in five waves, each one more aggressive. Entire villages have been wiped out. A Pillager Beast is very hard to kill and a single blow from it can kill a player who is fully armoured but without enhancements. Two or three blows can kill a player with fully enhanced armour. So, a powerful bow at a good distance is necessary. In later raids witches appear and douse pillagers with healing potions if you attack but don't kill them.

There are new tools and work benches, wings to fly and rockets to propel those wearing wings, and much, much more. You will have a blast!
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 16, 2020, 06:50 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Excellent, thanks

Comment

@GreyGeek lets assume that I am a little bit retarded. I purchased and downloaded the vanilla minecraft launcher. Then I went to the FTB website and downloaded that. In my downloads section, I get a .jar file which I extract the contents of...now what? There are multiple files and folders, none of which seem very intuitive as to their purpose. Attached is a screenshot of the folder's contents.

Click image for larger version

Name:	FTB .jar folder contents.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	644511

Comment

I was going to play FTB but they got themselves tied up with Twitch.TV. So, I never played it. Today I investigated the situation and found that as of October 31, 2019 their relationship with Twitch.TV has ended. This resulted in FTB creating their own launcher program for the first time since they joined up with Twitch about 6-7 years ago.

First, I'll assume you went to https://www.feed-the-beast.com/ and downloaded the FTB_Launcher.jar file by clicking on the Linux download button. I looked through that jar file using Ark, and noticed that it was compiled on October 27, 2019, which makes sense given the above.

The normal way to launch a jar file is to use
          java -jar somefile.jar
          and follow the instructions, if any, given by the launcher. But, let us see what the FTB wiki says.

The FTB Wike describes FTB and lists the mods it contains. It also says that FTB requires the Forge mod loader. Assuming that you want to run the latest version of Minecraft, 1.15.1, then you will need to download and install this version of Forge:
          https://files.minecraftforge.net/mav...ex_1.15.1.html
          Finally, the wiki tells you to go over to the get started page and learn how to install FTB.

The "get started page" describes two methods of installing FTB, but neither is supported as of Oct, 27th. However we can modify the "legacy" method and get results. Here is the legacy method:
          FTB Legacy Launcher

Once you have Minecraft successfully running on its own you are ready to install the FTB Launcher. The FTB Launcher is depreciated by FTB Team who instead recommend the Twitch Desktop App, but the latter currently doesn't support Linux, and there are also a few older third-party modpacks that cannot be downloaded using the Twitch Desktop App yet.
          1. Browse to the FTB site and download the .exe or .jar from here.
          2. Put the .exe or .jar in its own folder somewhere on your computer.
          3. Run the .exe or .jar. It may take some time for it to configure itself the first time.
          4. Click on the OPTIONS tab and configure the installation location, memory settings, and window size/position.
          5. Create a profile using your Minecraft username (or Mojang e-mail) and password.

Here is what to do:
          1 Install Minecraft. (You cannot install Forge without first installing the Minecraft launcher.)
          Begin by installing "minecraft-launcher" from the repository. Or, better yet, get the very latest Minecraft Launcher from here. Then run it as follows:
          If you use a Debian based distribution (like Ubuntu), download the .deb package and install it. This should install all the required dependencies for you. If your environment doesn't have a graphical package installer, you can install the package from the terminal, like this:
          apt-get install Minecraft.deb
          2 You will be asked to sign into your Mojang account with your username and password. The launcher will remember this for future uses. The first screen the Minecraft Laucher GUI presents is:

Name:	Minecraft_Launcher_GUI.jpg
Size:	68.2 KB
ID:	644512
          It will display the most recent map you've played and the "Play" button will run it. IF you haven't created a map then click on the "Innstallations" option. It will present the following screen:

The Installations screen is:

Name:	Minecraft_Launcher_GUI_setuppng.jpg
Size:	44.6 KB
ID:	644513
          It shows that I have already created a map using the 1.15.1 version of Minecraft. Since you do not have a map yet you have to click on the "New" option (that has a circle with a + sign in it). That will give you this screen:

Name:	Minecraft_Launcher_GUI_Installation.jpg
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	644514

3 You make up a name for the first entry. The default location for the map is ~/.minecraft. IF you leave that the same in every subsequent map they will all be under ~/.minecraft, which can lead to issues with installing mods in some maps but not others. FTB resolves that issue by controlling all the mods.

4 Now that you have created a 1.15.1 map, you can now install Forge. Create a folder for Forge. ~/Forge will work. Put the version you downloaded into that folder and cd into that folder. Run
          java -jar forge-1.15.1-30.0.41-launcher.jar

It will give you the option of installing it either in a server or in a client for the map version, 1.15.1. Choose the client option. IF it finds a valid map it will automatically install forge in that map's directory, which will be ~/.minecraft.

5 Now, rerun the Minecraft Launcher GUI and create a new map for 1.15.1, but this time choose the version of 1.15.1 which has the word "forge" in its name. Or, "forge" may be its only name. When you click the play button you will be running the 1.15.1 map that uses forge. Under the ~/.minecraft subdirectory will be a directory labeld "mods". If it doesn't exist then create it: ~/.minecraft/mods Mine is
          /home/jerry/.minecraft/mods/

That completes the vanilla setup of Minecraft for the 1.15.1 version.

6 Now, MAKE A BACKUP of the ~/.minecraft folder.

Now you can scrounge the Internet for Minecraft mods that will run under that version of Forge. Not just any mod will work. More than likely mods made for versions earlier than 1.14 may not work. In fact, mods made for version 1.15.0 may not work in 1.15.1, but only trying them will tell. Comment sections in the mods pages can clue you in as to what works and what doesn't for each version of Minecraft and Forge. You can store the mods in the Forge folder, and add them one at a time to the ~/.minecraft/mods folder, testing to see if the game will load and play with that mod.

Now that you have a working vanilla Minecraft installation cd into the FTB folder where you saved the FTB_Launcher.jar file and issue
          java -jar FTB_Launcher.jar
          Follow the instructions.
          Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 17, 2020, 06:26 PM.
          "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

MultiMC, Fabric, mods and datapacks.

MultiMC is, as the name suggests, a GUI which allows one to install multiple MC instances without creating conflicts between them. It is designed to use the Fabric mod loader exclusively. The Ubuntu 1.4-1 version can be downloaded from:
            https://files.multimc.org/downloads/multimc_1.4-1.deb
            and installed using "sudo dpkg -i multimc_1.4-1.deb" or your favourite GUI installer.

Once installed you can run it the first time and supply your Mojang username and password. Then you are presented with a blank GUI because you haven't created an instance yet. In the screen below I've already created a 1.15.1 version of MC.

Name:	multimc_gui.jpg
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	644515
            You can see the options along the right side of the GUI. The image below is what is displayed when you click "Edit Instance" while an installation is selected. In my case the blue indicates I've selected the 1.15.1 version which I've already installed.

Name:	multi_gui_edit_instance.jpg
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	644516

Below is what is displayed when I click the "Versions" option in the left panel

Name:	multimc_GUI_versions.jpg
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	644517

And, when I click the "Modloader" option the following panel is displayed. Notice that it allows me to add a mod, check or uncheck a mod (enable or disable), or remove a mod.

Name:	multimc_gui_loader_mods.jpg
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	644518

Mods

Mods are added by downloading them from Internet websites the offering them and then moving the mod jar file into the mods directory, which is always /home/youracctname/.local/share/multimc/mods/
            One way of installing Fabric mods is explained here.
            One source for Fabric mods is here.

Fabric

Fabric can be obtained from here.

Datapacks

Unlike mods, which require the installation of an appropriate modloader, like Forge, Fabric, Rift, Liteloader, etc., a datapack is a zip file which is simply dropped into the datapack subdirectory under a particular map.
            Here is a screen snapshot of Dolphin pointing to the datapacks subdirectory under my MC1151 map:

Name:	datapack_location.jpg
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	644519
            It shows several datapacks installed. One can use the "/datapack ..." command to reload, list, enable or disable datapacks. Datapacks often run an installation function when first installed and those require that the user run the uninstall function before deleting the pack from the datapacks subdirectory. This is done using:
            "/function ..." and then scrolling through the list of functions until you find the one you are looking for. Some datapacks are so extensive and map altering that they require the installation of their resource pack as well in order to get the full benefit of of the datapack.

Here is an example of the power of a datapack I played with two years ago:

Comment

Does it matter which Java? First I had to get java which I did through the konsole terminal. 3 options were available: default, and versions 8 and 11. I downloaded each one at a time, and tried to open the jar file with the command you gave. After each try, I uninstalled the previous version, installed the next version and retired the command, and nothing worked.

This is the message I get:

Error: Unable to access jarfile FTB_Launcher.jar
              Last edited by Snowhog; Jan 18, 2020, 04:17 PM. Reason: Quoting entire post not necessary

Comment

I have had success with all version of openjdk. I installed openjdk-11-jre and openjdk-11-jre-headless. That pulled in a pot load of other java apps, including default-jre, default-jre-headless, java-common, a bunch of mathjax java files, etc...

If you have both 8 and 11 installed then the /etc/alternative/java file will point to the one that is set to be used.
                Code:
                # vdir /usr/bin/java
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jan  5 14:30 /usr/bin/java -> /etc/alternatives/java
                root@Aspire-V3-771:~# vdir /etc/alternatives/java
                lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Jan  5 14:30 /etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java
                Where did you put the FTB_Launcher.jar file? CD into that directory and then run the jar command
                java -jar ./FTB_Launcher.jar

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                  I have had success with all version of openjdk. I installed openjdk-11-jre and openjdk-11-jre-headless. That pulled in a pot load of other java apps, including default-jre, default-jre-headless, java-common, a bunch of mathjax java files, etc...

If you have both 8 and 11 installed then the /etc/alternative/java file will point to the one that is set to be used.
                  Code:
                  # vdir /usr/bin/java
                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 22 Jan  5 14:30 /usr/bin/java -> /etc/alternatives/java
                  root@Aspire-V3-771:~# vdir /etc/alternatives/java
                  lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 43 Jan  5 14:30 /etc/alternatives/java -> /usr/lib/jvm/java-11-openjdk-amd64/bin/java
                  Where did you put the FTB_Launcher.jar file? CD into that directory and then run the jar command
                  java -jar ./FTB_Launcher.jar
                  I am just now seeing this. I have been working on this $h!t off and on all day. I finally figured out how to launch the FTB launcher. When I did, it wouldn't actually load the game because FTB was built to run on Java 8. When I uninstalled Java 11 to put in 8, it broke the vanilla MC launcher since it's the newest version and runs exclusively on 11, so I had to install that again. Then of course the FTB wouldn't launch. Had to figure out how to do a dual install, and then how to set up 8 as the default. 11 isn't active anymore, but as long as it is installed, it won't break the vanilla launcher. I just won't be able to start a MC vanilla game, which doesn't matter because I can play vanilla in FTB if I choose (which of course is stupid). Anyway after getting all that running right, there was some problem with my Mojang profile.

FTB requires you to have an active paid for vanilla MC profile, but for some reason FTB has a slightly different format to log into the launcher. After getting all that figured out, I am finally running the game.

What a ride this has been. I have cursed, screamed, and thrown things. I briefly considered setting my computer on fire and buying a new Windows 10 setup. I even started messaging you a half dozen times to tell you what a P**ck you are...obviously none of that happened, you're not a P**ck, I powered through it, and everything is fine.

Joking aside, I appreciate your help.
                  Last edited by TexasGuy1988; Jan 20, 2020, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Working...
                  X