No announcement yet.

Does the Privacy tab work for you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Does the Privacy tab work for you?

Operating System: Kubuntu 19.10
    KDE Plasma Version: 5.17.5
    KDE Frameworks Version: 5.65.0
    Qt Version: 5.12.4
    Kernel Version: 5.3.0-26-generic

I posted something similar as a response in another thread

On Kubuntu 19.10 (Minimal Install option with only Enable File Search enabled and with no Activities set up other than the default one) I went into System Settings > Workspace Behavior > Activities > Privacy. In there, with "Keep history" set to "Forever", I chose "Forget everything" under "Clear History" and got a banner with "Cleared the activity history."

After doing so, the timelines in Dolphin appear like this:
    Recent Files >>> emptied (but previously had content) so this one seems to work
    Recent Locations >>> empty
    Today >>> unchanged compared to before clearing history. I see my home folder which I can expand completely and see everything in there that's been there before clearing the activity history.
    Yesterday >>> is unchanged compared to before clearing history

Is there something I'm doing wrong? Or is this feature supposed to work only for specific Activities? What about users who don't set up additional Activities? How do they "Clear History"?

If this Privacy feature is meant to work even without setting up additional activities, maybe it shouldn't be located in System Settings > Workspace Behavior > Activities?
    Kubuntu 20.04

To my knowledge the Activities/Privacy settings only affect the recentlyused:// kio-slave, the timeline:// kio-slave entries (Today etc.) in dolphin come from the desktop search (baloo), which you can disable (or limit) in SystemSettings>Search>FileSearch if you think it is a privacy issue. I'm not aware that there is a switch in the GUI for clearing the baloo file search index (but you can run 'balooctl purge' to delete the index (but baloo will recreate the index on it's own eventually if it's enabled...so it's not really as effective as privacy protection...you should disable the file search if it's a privacy issue for you, the timeline:// entries will disappear from dolphin after dolphin restart once the search is disabled)
    Last edited by kubicle; Jan 14, 2020, 05:16 AM.

Comment

@kubicle, thanks! I've posted a link to your answer here.
      Kubuntu 20.04

Comment

Working...
      X