This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[DESKTOP] WINE can NOT execute exe executable files

My ECG and SpaceEngine 0.98 programs were working beautifully after I installed them using Q4Wine, shortly after I installed 20.04 Focal. In fact, a couple days ago I did my wife's EKG and transferred her readings to the Windows based program that analyzes the traces, The analysis did as expected. Her heart is doing fine! I also was testing SpaceEngine as well, along with my Steam games, which include Kerbel Space and Universe Sandbox^2. The last couple of days saw a couple of updates which involved around 500-600 apps. So, I retested the WINE programs again. Steam programs did well. The ECG and SpaceEngine would not run. They gave the following msg:

"wine cmd.exe /c echo '%ProgramFiles%' returned empty string, error message "wine: chdir to /run/user/1000/wine/server-33-4cf19 : No such file or directory" "
    A search led to the following link:
    https://www.mail-archive.com/debian-.../msg00566.html

However, it is even worse than that. If one starts the Q4Wine app and attempts to run any of the default Windows apps, like notepad, explorer, control, mines, etc., all produce a "-1" error.

Wine can't even run its own apps.

I spent about 30 minutes attempting to fix WINE and research the error msgs. Then I spent 3 minutes rolling back to my 20200112 snapshot.I'm going to watch WINE and allow upgrades to install again only when the bug is patched.
    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 13, 2020, 11:32 PM.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

I also have Space Engine, and am using Kubuntu 19.10. When I double-clicked on the exe. file, nothing happened. So I single-clicked, and got a little menu, with one of the options being 'open with Wine'. I clicked on that and now it works fine. I'm using Wine from the 19.10 repositories. I'm waiting for the Linux version of the latest Space Engine to come out on Steam--I've seen it on What De Math (Youtube) and it looks very nice. So far there's only a Windows version.

Comment

Originally posted by oldgeek View Post
      I also have Space Engine, and am using Kubuntu 19.10. When I double-clicked on the exe. file, nothing happened. So I single-clicked, and got a little menu, with one of the options being 'open with Wine'. I clicked on that and now it works fine. I'm using Wine from the 19.10 repositories. I'm waiting for the Linux version of the latest Space Engine to come out on Steam--I've seen it on What De Math (Youtube) and it looks very nice. So far there's only a Windows version.
      I downloaded the free SpaceEngine-0.98 version. The version Steam is offering is the 1.0 version, which is essentially the same as the free version. I had installed Q4Wine. When I right mouse on an exe file it is the top offering in the context menu. I used it to install the EKG software, the SpaceEngine, and the Phoneboard, which shows the schematics of iPhones and Apple tablets synced with photos of the actual boards. It's the software iPadRehab and LouisRossmann used in the microsoldering repair businesses.

Even though WINE broke during an upgrade process on 20.04, my Steam programs continued to run normally.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

My Wine is version 4.0.2-1. What is the difference between that and Q4Wine? Should I install the the Q4 version? I only use two programs with Wine: Space Engine 0.98 and Celestial 6.0.1. The latter seems to have been all but abandoned.

Comment

Q4Wine is a Qt GUI for WINE. The "4" means "for", not a version of Qt.
          https://wiki.winehq.org/Third_Party_Applications

Comment

Thanks for the info. I don't think I need to change since what I have works.

Comment

Working...
            X