This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Login password

I recently reloaded Kubuntu 18.04 and naïvely agreed to a login password. I now regret that and wish to remove it but cannot figure out how. I have looked in such as grub.cfg and a few others but not found a reference to passwords. Could anyone point me at where this parameter is stored, please?

My thanks to you …...

See Account Details > User Manager.

Comment

You'll probably wish to keep your account password (since I assume you are the admin user), you can set up autologin in SystemSettings>StartupAndShutdown>LoginScreen(SDDM )>Advanced-Tab>Auto-login to bypass the login screen.

Comment

For me, that makes me login "automatically" - in the sense that it doesn't ask for a username - as my user, but still requires a password.
        The User Manager one doesn't require log in at startup at all.
        It's this:

Click image for larger version

Name:	um.png
Views:	1
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	644495

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          For me, that makes me login "automatically" - in the sense that it doesn't ask for a username - as my user, but still requires a password.
          It's this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8538[/ATTACH]
          I'll take your word for it, haven't actually ever used auto-login and don't have the user manager installed, so I couldn't check what options it offered (I just assumed you meant removing the password in the user manager, which was obviously a false assumption)

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
            It's this:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]8538[/ATTACH]
            Without your password, how do you
            Code:
            sudo
            ?
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I'd wager the OP wanted to remove the login password [request], not the user password.
              Like at installation, it asks, "require password to log in", default is yes...

Note: as everyone knows ;·) sudo means "I sweat" in Spanish - and Italian - so there were a number of puns to be made in answer to your question.
              I hope you appreciate the fact that I made none :·)

Comment

In that case the OP would want to have a user password, but autologin which by-passes the need to enter the password for that user.

Which is what kubicle pointed out, I believe.

Yeah, we don't sweat the small stuff, Don. And it's all small stuff
                The next brick house on the left
                Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I am sure that the OP wants to enable autologin, or maybe he has encrypted the drive perhaps.

Keith, how has the smoke been? Hopefully there is some respite.
                  My wife lives in Braidwood, smack between the Currowan and the Black Range bushfires. The town itself is safe, but the length of time things have been burning seems to be dragging people down. It seems all the places I have visited and loved there are on fire, from Nowra down to Eden. We plan on retiring to Cobargo, once I finally get that visa and move down there. I don't know how much of the town burned.
                  Last edited by claydoh; Jan 12, 2020, 04:00 PM.

Comment

See Account Details > User Manager.

Thank you - that did it! When I got there the 'password' field was blank which rather surprised me but so also was the 'Automatic login' box so I ticked that and now I get straight in. Appreciate but got a bit lost with these other messages and different passwords - it was the one that appeared when I was starting up that I meant.

> Keith, how has the smoke been? Hopefully there is some respite.
                    > My wife lives in Braidwood, smack between the Currowan and the Black Range bushfires. The town itself is safe, but the length of time things have been burning > seems to be dragging people down. It seems all the places I have visited and loved there are on fire, from Nowra down to Eden. We plan on retiring to Cobargo, > once I finally get that visa and move down there. I don't know how much of the town burned.

Smoke now easing in Canberra. For anyone interested, the origin of it all has been two years of drought which has dried the forest floor until it is tinder. Further hot sun - 40° here in Canberra and I heard that Adelaide peaked at 44° - has been enough to start it smouldering, then burn and then a fire. The prevailing wind is from the west so the fires spread out to the coast. There are a string of towns down that eastern seaboard and many have been badly hit. Evenings we get a sea breeze which has brought the smoke over Canberra. Happy to chat with anyone interested - keith@keithsayers.id.au

Comment

Working...
                    X