Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Kubuntu turning into Windows? Unattended upgrades? Seriously?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Kubuntu turning into Windows? Unattended upgrades? Seriously?

I booted into my plain vanilla Kubuntu 18.04 install today. I was installed to my system, but not used in a very long time as I use KDEneon regularly. So I spent about 3 minutes with it and then attempted to reboot. I typed "reboot" in konsole and literally nothing seemed to happen. Then I used the menu to click reboot, which seemed to work but there was a much longer than normal delay until the reboot started. This time I got the log out screen and a message "Unattended updates being installed - please don't turn off your computer" or something to that effect. I was stunned!

Since when does Kubuntu install stuff without your permission? Who thinks this is good? I can rant for hours as to why this is NOT good. I'm sure Microsith and Window-tards would disagree.

To top it off, I hit ESC to see what was happening which revealed a count down timer. I was 18 seconds into 30 MINUTES of updates! I have never needed 30 minutes to update any Kubuntu system for a decade now. I have know idea what was actually happening BECAUSE IT WAS UNATTENDED so I didn't get a chance to review.

Obviously, I said "screw this" and punched the reset button. I can reinstall Kubuntu in less than 30 minutes. Just to see what would happen I rebooted back to Kubuntu and it booted fine, not that I care. If this is the default behavior going forward, I won't be using Kubuntu again ever. Yes, I realize I can uninstall whatever package does this but it's indicative of an attitude shift I am not comfortable with.

Please Read Me

I believe that the default setting is 'unattended' and always has been; I change it to 'notify only' immediately after an installation.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Just looked it up. The package was first available with 16.04. That's when I had switched to Neon so I guess I had never encountered it. My habit is to upgrade an install not long after I boot to it so I probably never triggered it before.

What I object to is the default setting, not the existence of the option. Frankly, I find it dangerous to install kernels unattended without a backup. I suppose the reboot delay was the core issue this time. I just can't imagine why anyone would want their system to upgrade itself. Seems counter-culture for Linux users.

Please Read Me

Comment

I too want to be advised before any update is applied. I think (opinion) that this is being done to make Kubuntu more attractive to new users who are likely coming from the Windows universe. I also think that it is dumbing down of the UI. [rant off]

The default should be 'notify only' at install time. New users need to practice in the shallow end of the pool and a good starting lesson is to learn to read the update advisory list of files.
        Kubuntu 23.11 64bit under Kernel 6.8.1, Hp Pavilion, 6MB ram. All Bow To The Great Google... cough, hack, gasp.

Comment

I couldn't agree more.
          Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
          ... the other day, I fired up Kubuntu 18.04 to... check some things (hadn't used it for a while), went to reboot - into Neon - and... Unattended upgrade in progress. Do not switch off the computer.
          Honestly, I said, have I booted into Windows? I don't have any Windows...
          I have, in fact, fired 18.04 altogether. It's not just the unattended stuff, it's the updating the xapian index just after boot, and other annoyances.
          On the laptop I have 20.04, which does not seem to misbehave at all.
          On the main box, I have Neon, which - even though it's 18.04-based - doesn't either.

Comment

It's the old adage of "trust but verify". The only unattended update I have is FF, and I want it that way. Everything else is "ask first". Is "ask first" a better default value? Yes, for most people. Otherwise, just "bug" the heck out of the devs - and I mean write "bugs". They (devs) may not like it, but that's O.K. Default values should be acceptable to the user, and not just the developer.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

I thought that the unattended-upgrades was set to install security updates only, starting with 16.10 I think, but I cannot verify when just yet.

here is my 19.10 config

Code:
              / Automatically upgrade packages from these (origin:archive) pairs
              //
              // Note that in Ubuntu security updates may pull in new dependencies
              // from non-security sources (e.g. chromium). By allowing the release
              // pocket these get automatically pulled in.
              Unattended-Upgrade::Allowed-Origins {
                      "z:${distro_codename}";
                      "${distro_id}:${distro_codename}-security";
                      // Extended Security Maintenance; doesn't necessarily exist for
                      // every release and this system may not have it installed, but if
                      // available, the policy for updates is such that unattended-upgrades
                      // should also install from here by default.
                      "${distro_id}ESM:${distro_codename}";
                      "${distro_id}ESM:${distro_codename}-security";
              //      "${distro_id}:${distro_codename}-updates";
              //      "${distro_id}:${distro_codename}-proposed";
              //      "${distro_id}:${distro_codename}-backports";
              };
              Now, I cannot recall ever noticing this actually happening on the Kubuntu box, or my Neon laptop, but I usually check daily, so I probably installed things before it would have been done automatically.

So are some things going into the main archive as opposed to going to -updates, or could dependencies of a security fix be pulling in the whole shebang?

Comment

Having Kubuntu automatically install security updates by default is a good thing IMO. Changing that setting to "notify" is on my installation checklist, but if one starts changing settings it's not "vanilla" any more. I imagine that it was anticipated that in most cases the updates occur while the install being used.

I suspect what's given trouble are the many vulnerabilities found in Intel processors, like Specter and Meltdown, which have needed mitigations in the kernel and other components. It was not anticipated that such huge changes would be marked as security fixes.
                Regards, John Little

Comment

I don't think this should be in the Soapbox section but...

What help can you guys give me to understand what is going on here. I don't see any settings to "Notify"

I just opened Discover and of course it told me right away that there are updates waiting. If anyone is interested in another/my install I will check some stuff to see what my default settings are, but don't know how to do that.

I don't see anything installing by itself and I thought that unattended-updates had to be turned on by the user, but honestly don't keep up with these things as well as you guys.

Otherwise Kubuntu has worked flawlessly for me, though it is not my main box. Just finished Updating and the System wants a Restart, that don't happen often with Linux, what does that tell me? I didn't see any Kernel Updates?
                  Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Install Muon.
                    It's faster and easier, but doesn't waste time with all the pretty, but meaningless, pictures.
                    Under the "Settings" menu is the "Configure software sources" option. When that dialog opens click on the "updates" tab. There you can set your "notify" options. I check for options weekly and only notify. However, I can run "sudo apt update .... etc" and time I want.

Oh, yes ... Kubuntu has been what Windows has always wanted to be since version 9.04, starting with the installation menus right on down to the right click context menus. And, it is a lot cleaner, faster and doesn't have annoying ads popping up.
                    Last edited by GreyGeek; Jan 22, 2020, 07:16 PM.
                    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Took the words right from my brain, GG

Kubuntu, and most of Linux is all about the user making choices. Windows is all about MS making choices for the user.
                      The next brick house on the left
                      Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Thanks GreyGeek, I did have Muon installed and used your directions. I left "Check for Updates" Checked and chose "Only Notify" about available updates. I don't mind the check because I maintain so many personal computers I need the reminder. Okay, will start a thread for myself I think for new questions, thanks.
                        Dell OptiPlex 9010 SFF, 8GB RAM, i7 3770, Kubuntu 18.04, MB 051FJ8

Comment

Right after I install Kubuntu, I do two things: uninstall Discover and Unattended-upgrades.
                          I think Discover is worthless and use Synaptic and Muon some.
                          I use Synaptic and became aware of the Unattended-updates when Synaptic told me some other process had a lock on package installation.
                          I update every week day and I don't need it being done for me or to even be notified.
                          I use apt-get on occasion as well but have trouble remembering all the options and switches.
                          Something for everybody, I guess

Comment

Originally posted by jberkpc View Post
                            I use apt-get on occasion as well but have trouble remembering all the options and switches.
                            Why not just make an alias for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                              Why not just make an alias for it.
                              Because, if he is like me, the alias is just as hard to remember.
                              That's why I keep my most often used commands on a sheet of paper taped to the wall next to me.
                              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                              X