This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA Woes

I'm doing a fresh install of Kubuntu on an older desktop of mine with a nvidia GTX 760. X fails to launch, and looking through kern.log there's a message: kernel: NVRM: failed to copy vbios to system memory.

The kernel module seems to have loaded fine. The Nouveau driver works too, but I wanted to use it with the nvidia driver for performance reasons.

I tried with the latest driver (including with the kernel dkms bugfix from today), the version before that, and finally the 340 (iirc) oldest driver. The first two didn't work, and now with the oldest one I can't even boot. Not too much lost since it's a fresh install but very frustrating. I know it's not a GPU issue since Nouveau works fine.

I have a suspicion you may be using the wrong driver. Check on the nvidia web site to see what driver you need for that card

Comment

You may want to pop open a Konsole and issue
      kcmshell5 kcm_driver_manager

and see what it tells you about which driver to choose for your GPU.

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

I have a GTX 780 and I'm using 430.50 driver

Please Read Me

Comment

This solution worked for a guy with your chip and the same problem:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
          sudo apt update

sudo apt-get install nvidia-375

"A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
          – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
          X