This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome system analyst tool

It is in the repository. It is called "netdata".
    After installing it, making holes in my ufw for port 19999 and in my dd-wrt firewall for the same port, and binding it to 192.168.11.100 (my local LAN ip address) I put 192.168.11.100:19999 into the URL bar on my browser and was immediately presented with a graphical representation of the MOST DETAILED and COMPLETE analysis of my system!
    AWESOME.

I used:
    $ sudo nano /etc/netdata/netdata.conf

to set its config file:
    Code:

Code:
    [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][global][/COLOR]
            run as user = netdata
            web files owner = root
            web files group = root
            # Netdata is not designed to be exposed to potentially hostile
            # networks.See https://github.com/firehol/netdata/issues/164
            bind socket to IP = 192.168.11.100
            bind to = IP1:19999  [ipv6:ip1]:19998
    [/FONT]

and then I ran
    sudo systemctl restart netdata
    to start it and
    sudo systemctl status netdata
    to check if it started OK or not.

IF you don't get any errors with "status" then you are good to go. It will restart with every boot.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
    – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Using the graphical output of netdata I was able to watch ALL the progress Guidus made while creating a persistent LiveUSB of Focal.
    No longer do I have to wait patiently for the the "Work Done" message. I can see everything Guidus is doing and don't have to wonder if it is hung.
    "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”

Comment

WOW, that's a ton of data!

I got an error on restart but it's working. Brief web search reveals the error was due to it was already running - I had started it before editing the conf file and the error came after restart.

Please Read Me

Comment

Amazing isn't it? It probably counts the number of sheet on the toilet paper roll in my bath room!

Comment

Very pretty
          It's also pretty ;·) useless for my needs, as my conky tells me pretty much everything I need and it's always there.

Still, I have it running, it uses no resources, it's... great. Hats off to the developers.

Comment

great tool thanks for the tip
            Dave Kubuntu 20.04 Registered Linux User #462608

Wireless Script: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...5#post12350385

Comment

Netdata, while running, takes about 1% of CPU resources. So, I run "sudo systemctrl stop netdata.service" to shut it off until I want or need to use it. You can create a snapshot of the current output or include some history. How much history the snapshot contains depends on the setting you make in the snapshot GUI

Comment

It uses about .70% of mine, and intermittently at that.
                What it does use is a little bit of RAM, as it saves the data - by default - on shutdown only. But that is also negligible.
                And even the data it writes are fairly small.

Still, as a system monitor, it's not really much use for a home system, except in specific instances.
                And even in those, it would work best:
                - by reducing the actual output to the things you actually want to monitor (easily done, it's HTML).
                - by having it on a different monitor-activity/laptop/raspberry.

Of course, if you run a server, it's just the thing, on one hand you can easily customise the data, on the other you can have lots of different monitor-activity/laptop/raspberrys to do it

Comment

0.3% of cpu and ram here. Still, an interesting project. I could see it being very useful for troubleshooting. I don't really need this on a day-to-day basis. I let go of needing constant feedback from my system quite awhile ago. Conky, which I use two instances of, gives me specifically want I want to know but uses considerably more resources than netdata.

Plus, conky is super cool looking on my desktop

Please Read Me

Comment

The "instant snapshot" of NetData's ouput takes up 1.2Mb in the form of a text file which is vaguely similar to XML files.

Comment

Originally posted by GreyGeek View Post
                      It is in the repository. It is called "netdata".
                      After installing it, making holes in my ufw for port 19999 and in my dd-wrt firewall for the same port, and binding it to 192.168.11.100 (my local LAN ip address) I put 192.168.11.100:19999 into the URL bar on my browser and was immediately presented with a graphical representation of the MOST DETAILED and COMPLETE analysis of my system!
                      AWESOME.

I used:
                      $ sudo nano /etc/netdata/netdata.conf

to set its config file:
                      Code:

Code:
                      [FONT=monospace][COLOR=#000000][global][/COLOR]
                              run as user = netdata
                              web files owner = root
                              web files group = root
                              # Netdata is not designed to be exposed to potentially hostile
                              # networks.See https://github.com/firehol/netdata/issues/164
                              bind socket to IP = 192.168.11.100
                              bind to = IP1:19999  [ipv6:ip1]:19998
                      [/FONT]

and then I ran
                      sudo systemctl restart netdata
                      to start it and
                      sudo systemctl status netdata
                      to check if it started OK or not.

IF you don't get any errors with "status" then you are good to go. It will restart with every boot.
                      How, if you know, would you go about this with a commercial router; one provided by your ISP (Comcast in our case)?
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I use a commercial router provided by my ISP (Orange Spain in my case).
                        I don't use (additional) firewalls, so I had to open no ports, just point my browser to my computer's local IP address (10.0.0.10):19999.

Comment

Thanks. I'll give that a try later.
                          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

GreyGeek thanks! Thanks to you, I set up the system!

Comment

Working...
                            X