X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] Watch YouTube from laptop to TV

The question is,

I'd like to play YouTube videos on a laptop (using K 18.04) and watch them on the TV (and so use the TV as a display). I'm not thinking about streaming, just watching the YT vids. How do I hook this up?

Laptop:
    ASUS Q501-LA, purchased March 2014.
    It has an HDMI port.

TV:
    Samsung LED, 28", Class HD 720P, purchased June 2018
    Ports on the back of the TV are:
    HDMI IN(2) (DVI)
    HDMI IN (1) (STB)

If it is to connect the two with an HDMI cable, which port do I use on the TV?

What special settings in 18.04 should I change, where are they (Settings > Display?), and how (obviously, attach the cable first, right? see what the laptop 18.04 recognizes etc.)?

I do not have an HDMI cable, so that will be a trip to Best Buy, but I'd like to be reasonably sure this should work and so I'm not wasting $ .

I think by the naive nature of what I've already written, you get the picture; if now you can help me get the picture ...

Thanks.
    An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

What is HDMI STB? This HDMI input and having the designation HDMI in1 (STB) is designed to connect consoles, like as xBOX or PlayStation or receiver. But this port is also possible to connect any device. HDMI STB is just a label that helps the user to determine the port to which the receiver, player, and game console can be connected.
    This STB name comes from the time when various consoles and other devices were used with TVs. They looked like a box that was usually laid on top of a kinescope TV. And so the name set top box abbreviated STB.

What is HDMI DVI? This type of HDMI is HDMI in 2 (DVI) and use to connect to the TV computer or using TV as a display . The feauture of this connection is that the sound that DVI is unable to be transmissed. In the HDMI standard 1.4 and newer versions audio transmission is possible. The HDMI port supports audio, but does not support DVI on the computer. HDMI DVI ordinary port, the inscription only as an aid, you can connect any device to this port. And not just a computer.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

What you are doing is a piece of cake. Generally, the HDMI ports on a TV are just that but may have something written after them as yours does that ties into the input screen of your TV. So when you change input on your TV you can identify which HDMI port it is using, so it does not matter what port you use from a technical perspective as they all work. The only setting you MAY have to change is the resolution which is found at K>System Settings>Hardware Display and Monitor>Displays.
      Last edited by shag00; Jan 01, 2020, 09:22 PM.

Comment

This is encouraging . Maybe I'll get motivated to get over to Best Buy this week and get that HDMI cable. Thanks Shag00, thanks Snowhog. When this happens, I'll post feedback.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Most recent tvs or the DVD players hooked up to them have access to youtube already. Or you could just right-click in a yt video and copy the url then use youtube-dl to download the video and put it on a thumbdrive or external drive to play on the tv.
          If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Or you could just right-click in a yt video and copy the url then use youtube-dl to download the video and put it on a thumb drive or external drive to play on the tv.
            That's a good idea. The TV is recent, but not Smart. I'll try both, just for kicks--HDMI cable and d/l to thumbdrive. Thanks.

Comment

FYI, some D/Ls need to be run through handbrake to play properly.
              If you think Education is expensive, try ignorance.

The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has limits.

Comment

Looks like there's * more * research to do on this ... using youtube-dl, I was unable to download anything--I tried several vids, with the same result,

Code:
                mike@mike-All-Series:~$ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLq0_7k1jk
                [youtube] _PLq0_7k1jk: Downloading webpage
                [youtube] _PLq0_7k1jk: Downloading video info webpage
                ERROR: _PLq0_7k1jk: "token" parameter not in video info for unknown reason; please report this issue on https://yt-dl.org/bug . Make sure you are using the latest version; see  https://yt-dl.org/update  on how to update. Be sure to call youtube-dl with the --verbose flag and include its complete output.
                ... more work to do here! Geez, maybe easier to buy a smart TV! Haven't tried the HDMI cable yet. The issue I see there is controlling the vids, would have to be done on the laptop, although I could build a YT playlist, which would help (not having to get up and down to access the laptop each time while playing several vids in one session). Always a learning experience.

Comment

FYI youtube-dl needs to be updated constantly. I installed this ppa: https://www.ubuntuupdates.org/ppa/webupd8 then update it just before I d/l a video.

Please Read Me

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                    The issue I see there is controlling the vids, would have to be done on the laptop, although I could build a YT playlist, which would help (not having to get up and down to access the laptop each time while playing several vids in one session). Always a learning experience.
                    Hey this Kubuntu, one does not get one's arse off the couch to fiddle about with TV shows or the like. You can go the Windows way and use a wireless mouse or upgrade to Kubuntu and and go KDE Connect with your mobile.

Comment

Originally posted by shag00 View Post
                      Hey this Kubuntu, one does not get one's arse off the couch to fiddle about with TV shows or the like. You can go the Windows way and use a wireless mouse or upgrade to Kubuntu and and go KDE Connect with your mobile.
                      LOL. I actually have an Asus Chromebox that I unlocked into developer mode and installed Kubuntu on it. It's the size of a large sandwich and sits behind the TV. It came with a wireless mouse and compact keyboard and works great. I sit on my "arse" and stream whatever I want.

Please Read Me

Comment

Yeah, back in the day, the adults would tell their "remote" (usually the youngest kid) to get up and twist the channel selector to one of the 3 or 5 channels we actually could get on TV. Now, we're no longer "the kid" and our kids learned to not get duped into that trick, so we now spend hours and $$ figuring out how not to get our butts off the sofa
                        The next brick house on the left
                        Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Back now. Update: partial success. And got questions.

OK, so, I did not yet try any HDMI cable. I did try youtube-dl and followed oshunluvr's PPA link.

I could not, though, download the video(s) using youtube-dl:

[#]mike@mike-All-Series:~$ youtube-dl https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_PLq0_7k1jk
                          [youtube] _PLq0_7k1jk: Downloading webpage
                          [youtube] _PLq0_7k1jk: Downloading video info webpage
                          ERROR: _PLq0_7k1jk: YouTube said: This video is unavailable.
                          [/#]

In Muon, I saw a GUI, youtube-dig, installed that, and then using that GUI, I could successfully download the video(s). They download to /home/mike, double-click to play them, and everything works--sound and video.

Question #1: Wonder why I got "This video is unavailable" when trying to use the direct command youtube-dl <url> ?

-----

I copied the vids from my home to a flashdrive, then tested that flash drive in my PC, and both videos play OK--sound and video. I plugged that flashdrive into a TV's USB port, accessed it using menus, tried to play a video, and it would not play, saying "Audio codecs not supported."

Question #2: Wonder what that's about? [Disclosure: I am not an a-v guy, know nothing about such.]

I sure would like to get that to play on the TV.

-----

fyi:

The vids that are downloaded have an .mkv extension, Matroska stream. They play (in Kubuntu 18.04) using the mpv Media Player. which I see in Muon happens to be installed on my system.

fyi:

When I used oshuluvr's link to set up the PPA, I did what they said to do, note the result of the 3rd command:

[#]sudo add-apt-repository ppa:nilarimogard/webupd8
                          sudo apt-get update[/#]

and the 3rd command is sudo apt-get install <package>, where <package> is given on that PPA page, like so:

[#]sudo apt-get install 0.5.2-1+git20191113~webupd8~bionic0
                          Reading package lists... Done
                          Building dependency tree
                          Reading state information... Done
                          E: Unable to locate package 0.5.2-1+git20191113~webupd8~bionic0
                          E: Couldn't find any package by glob '0.5.2-1+git20191113~webupd8~bionic0'
                          E: Couldn't find any package by regex '0.5.2-1+git20191113~webupd8~bionic0'[/#]

I mention this only for completeness, but as I said, everything worked OK on the download and playing the videos on my PC.

Thanks thus far! I appreciate any feedback on this.

Comment

Originally posted by Qqmike View Post
                            and the 3rd command is sudo apt-get install <package>, where <package> is given on that PPA page, like so:

[#]sudo apt-get install 0.5.2-1+git20191113~webupd8~bionic0
                            Building dependency tree
                            E: Unable to locate package 0.5.2-1+git20191113~webupd8~bionic0
                            E: Couldn't find any package by glob '0.5.2-1+git20191113~webupd8~bionic0'
                            E: Couldn't find any package by regex '0.5.2-1+git20191113~webupd8~bionic0'[/#]

I mention this only for completeness, but as I said, everything worked OK on the download and playing the videos on my PC.

Thanks thus far! I appreciate any feedback on this.
                            Your apt-get install above isn't citing the package name; you used the Latest Version identifier. The package name from this PPA is grive2
                            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks, Snowhog, tried that just now and got this dead end:

Code:
                              mike@mike-All-Series:~$ sudo apt-get install grive2
                              [sudo] password for mike: 
                              Building dependency tree       
                              E: Unable to locate package grive2

Comment

Working...
                              X