X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

LibreOffice Writer ALWAYS crashes when attempting to start

LibreOffice Writer can not be used as every time I start it, it
    Warning: ALWAYS CRASHES!
    it offers to recover two files and whether or not I choose yes or no it still crashes every time. No error messages it just CTD's.

BTW: The two files are not found. They were on the internet. Maybe the error trapping code is not working as expected.
    Last edited by steve7233; Dec 30, 2019, 09:34 PM.
    Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

1) What version of LO?
    2) Were either of the two "internet files" ever saved to your local machine?
    3) Do the "internet files" still exist at the URL(s) where you last accessed them?
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Originally posted by jglen490 View Post
      1) What version of LO?
      2) Were either of the two "internet files" ever saved to your local machine?
      3) Do the "internet files" still exist at the URL(s) where you last accessed them?
      1. The current one in the ubuntu repos for Kubuntu 19.10.
      2. NO
      3. I forgot the location.
      Just to remind users and devs that Ubuntu and its flavors have a long way to go to be as usr friendly as they should be.

http://www.kubuntu.org/getkubuntu

Comment

I suggest:
        1. Starting libreoffice in 'safe mode'; in a konsole, run libreoffice --safe-mode. You might find something.
        2. Reset the libreoffice 'profile' in ~/.config/libreoffice/4 by backing it up and renaming it. You'd lose any personalizations stored there. It looks like you could restore stuff bit by bit to get back the various personalizations, but I've never tried that.
        3. The really nasty, "don't tell anyone I told you this", unsupported way, but may be worth a try if the above is too drastic. In another editor edit ~/.config/libreoffice/4/user/registrymodifications.xcu and find mentions of the file or files libreoffice wants to recover, and delete the lines they are on. (kate complains about a line's length, but clicking 'Temporarily raise limit and reload file' gets past that, I think; I don't use kate much.)
        Regards, John Little

Comment

First thing I would do is
          Code:
          sudo apt-get remove --purge libreoffice-core
          Then:
          Code:
          sudo apt update && sudo apt install libreoffice
          Then: launch from konsole and post exact error messages here

Other than that it will be very hard to advise because we don't know what system you running, how you installed Kubuntu etc

Comment

Working...
          X