This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pioneer BDR-209DBK support?

I just bought a Pioneer BDR-209DBK blu-ray burner that is capable of burning dual layer (50gb) discs (they say).
    I bought this because I have all my vacations for the last 25 years on media that I am afraid will die and I want to burn it on to blu-ray discs for preservation. One of my vacation videos is pushing 30gb.
    These are not HD videos but they are large files.

Do I need any special support drivers to run this drive on Kubuntu 18.04?
    Where do I find them?

Right now I am just interested in saving the raw files, but eventually I will probably want to edit them and put titles and fades (etc) on them.
    Can someone recommend a "movie maker" suite that will let me edit these files and then burn them to the Blu-ray discs?

Thanks
    Greg
    Greg
    W9WD

I haven't been able to find drivers that actually worked in viewing Blu-Rays as it is. Now it has been about 3 yrs since I looked, so that may have changed.

I would say that optical media does seem to be on it's way out (based on what I have seen and the computers that my dad, my wife (thru work), my sister and niece have received these last few years) and with the prices of harddrives as they are, I would just take them from their original form and put them on a NAS or some other hard drive setup to backup.
    Lenovo Thinkstation: Xeon E5 CPU 32GB ECC Ram KDE Neon

Comment

Thanks
      I have a Blu-Ray player hooked to the TV that works fine, so I don't need to watch them on this computer.
      I just want to be able to burn them on the computer so I can watch them on the TV player.

I am ripping them from the original media to a computer hard drive currently.
      The files were recorded on DVC tapes (Mini DV) which is not much more than iron oxide on scotch tape.
      The recorder is a Sony DCR-VX1000 which records video and also plays it. (I'm kind of surprised it still works). My oldest files are from 1998.
      It transfers the files in real time over a Firewire cable to the computer.

I have a new HD camera which is a bit more high-tech, but I don't want to lose these memories.

G
      Greg
      W9WD

Comment

k3b will burn blu rays , just make sure you have also installed wodim as well (it may be pulled in by k3b), and that it is enabled in the settings. There should not be any drivers needed.

This shows things, but is outdated. ignore the PPA and sub 'wodim' for 'cdrecord' here
        https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Cd...lu-Ray_Burning

Now, as to authoring a blu ray, I can't find anything that works for creating the proper structure for one, as the spec is proprietary, and requires licensing, iirc. Some DVD authoring software *might* work, but it has to explicitly support blu ray, as it is different from hopw DVDs are structured.

For storage longevity, I'd recommend looking at portable SSDs Not jumbo usb flash drives or SD cards, but proper SSDs. They range in size from similar to a thumb drive to that of a typical external hard drive. They have come down in price, but are still a bit expensive. Recordable Blu Ray disks seem to have a lifespan of 5-25 years, as far as I can discover.

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
          For storage longevity, I'd recommend looking at portable SSDs Not jumbo usb flash drives or SD cards, but proper SSDs. They range in size from similar to a thumb drive to that of a typical external hard drive. They have come down in price, but are still a bit expensive. Recordable Blu Ray disks seem to have a lifespan of 5-25 years, as far as I can discover.
          I was thinking along those lines too.
          Once I find out just how big this sub-directory has grown to (where I am copying these files) I can buy an SSD that will hold that directory and copy the whole shebang to that.
          Greg
          W9WD

Comment

Originally posted by claydoh View Post
            Not jumbo usb flash drives or SD cards, but proper SSDs.
            But aren't SSDs basically jumbo flash drives?

Comment

Take a read on the topic: Flash vs. SSD: What's the difference?
              Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
              "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I did, and quite a few more before asking.
                Which means I'm not quite sure (therefore I ask), but the way I understand it, the difference is only in the interface.
                They both use Flash RAM, SSDs have an IDE/SATA/whatever one, USB sticks a... USB one.
                Longevity-wise, it shouldn't make a difference, unless... the Flash ram normally used in USB drives is worse than the one used in SSDs... or something.

Comment

Well, you didn't indicate that you had searched, and I'm one that in the absence of substantive evidence, choose not to assume otherwise.

What's the technical difference between a flash drive and an SSD?
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Right. So... the Flash ram normally used in USB drives is (usually) worse than the one used in SSDs... as far as read-write cycles are concerned.
                    So... for the purpose of storing holiday videos - which can only be pushed on the family at certain times of the year, and not many times at that - we could say that SSDs are basically jumbo flash drives.
                    Because also, in this case, the speed of the interface is rather irrelevant...

Comment

I have been using SSD drives daily for my main internet computer (this one) for a few years now.
                      Greg
                      W9WD

Comment

You should be able to plug a drive into a TV or a TV box device via USB, if it has the capability, and play videos directly from there.

Comment

Originally posted by Don B. Cilly View Post
                          Right. So... the Flash ram normally used in USB drives is (usually) worse than the one used in SSDs... as far as read-write cycles are concerned.
                          So... for the purpose of storing holiday videos - which can only be pushed on the family at certain times of the year, and not many times at that - we could say that SSDs are basically jumbo flash drives.
                          Because also, in this case, the speed of the interface is rather irrelevant...
                          I check in from time to time with various test and review related sites, such as Phoronix and Tom's Hardware. The prognosis for solid state drives is very good. Reliability and life expectancy are on the way up every year. As my spinner that holds /home continues to age, I'm seriously going to replace it with an SSD to join the SSD that holds / and SWAP.
                          The next brick house on the left
                          Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-18-generic

Comment

Working...
                          X